PDA

View Full Version : Need input on options for a new FAL

grinchcop
September 20, 2017, 21:37
I am again in the market for a full-length rifle (21" barrel, fixed stock....pretty much like an FN 50.00). This is just going to be a range toy; nothing I will be subjecting to hard use. I can't afford a genuine FN product anymore, but could probably swing one of the Springfield SAR-48's on GB. My para was built on a DSA LMT-era type 2, but I hear less-than-happy things about current DSA products. That said, I can get a decent deal from DSA on a new standard rifle on a type 1 or 2 upper, and there's currently an older DSA built rifle with matching StG58 parts in the marketplace.
Just looking for opinions on what direction to head: new DSA, older DSA or Springfield import from Brazil? Thanks in advance!

4x401
September 20, 2017, 22:14
Can't go wrong with older DSA receivers, or Springfield stuff. I'd stay away from current manufactured DSA rifles...

1911Ron
September 21, 2017, 09:51
I would go with a Market Place buy before anything else but that's my preference.

lew
September 21, 2017, 11:49
I bought a new DSA 21" Para last year. It's been flawless in operation. To be fair, their CS has treated me very well on some other, non-Para related issues. Plenty of kit-built guns out there for reasonable prices though, so that would be the first place I'd look.

Atla
September 21, 2017, 12:01
DSA is to busy pushing their 'gun craft' beer to give a hoot about FALs.

How sad is it that the general consensus is - instead of buying a 'Warrantied' brand new DSA Fal, you should go to the marketplace and buy one built by an unknown with cobbled together parts with no guarantee of functionality or accuracy.

But DSA doesn't care.

jugrunner
September 21, 2017, 13:58
DSA is to busy pushing their 'gun craft' beer to give a hoot about FALs.

How sad is it that the general consensus is - instead of buying a 'Warrantied' brand new DSA Fal, you should go to the marketplace and buy one built by an unknown with cobbled together parts with no guarantee of functionality or accuracy.

But DSA doesn't care.

Really .. ??? .. Sad .. ?? .. Sad is that I, an uneducated redneck, can "cobble" a much better riFAL than DSA ever dreamed of .. I would be glad to "warranty" my work .. something that DSA seems to have a problem doing .. BTW .. would you "warranty" their junk .. ??

See .. I use REAL FN & Steyr parts that I inspect individually before assembly .. something that DSA, either can't or will not do .. check headspace and test fire .. things that DSA doesn't do IMO ..

and I don't CAST PARTS out of warped scrap metal .. :shades:

and I don't half ass scrub Steyr inspection marks and re-mark them USA .. :p

DSA = :bullcrap:

Atla
September 21, 2017, 15:00
I'm not sure if you are riled up in anger over my post or over DS Arms...

So..

:beer:

John Crusher
September 21, 2017, 16:09
I'm with jug on this . I've built and sold quite a few Fals out of parts kits and I would gladly refund or repair anyone that I have done if the buyer ever has an issue. But, the ones that are gone no one wants to sell back and they ain't broke ! And I don't use no cobbled parts.

jugrunner
September 21, 2017, 16:54
I'm not sure if you are riled up in anger over my post or over DS Arms...

So..

:beer:

you seem to be heading in two (2) different directions with your post .. So .. I guess Both, u & DSa .. :whiskey:

This: .. "How sad is it that the general consensus is - instead of buying a 'Warrantied' brand new DSA Fal, you should go to the marketplace and buy one built by an unknown with cobbled together parts with no guarantee of functionality or accuracy" ..

^^^
this: "bothers" me ..

I'm always mad at DSA 'cause they suck & lie .. !!

ETA: .. :eek: .. you actually haven't been here long enough to see the "real" "riled up in anger" me .. :wink: .. actually I haven't been here so u missed it ..

I'm much calmer now .. doubled my meds .. online therapy via 0S10 .. life is great .. !!

spider991
September 21, 2017, 18:38
The marketplace has good rifles or a kit built by one of the smith's on here...lots of good ones

4markk
September 21, 2017, 18:39
I'm much calmer now .. doubled my meds .. online therapy via 0S10 .. life is great .. !!

The lobotomy helped too !!!!!!!

Welcome back Jugs ........ You know it took 17 cheap Chinese diamond bits to fix that StG carrier. Probably could have done it with less, but I was using the wrong cooling agent for diamond. Once I figured that out, it went fast. It was fun!!!!!!

grinchcop
September 22, 2017, 08:06
Everyone's input's been appreciated. I've failed at being a student of the platform for a while, so I haven't been keeping up with the issues surrounding DSA's QC.
I know it's been a long time since Springfield last imported the SAR-48's, but what might a reasonable price be for one in decent condition these days?

4markk
September 23, 2017, 08:56
SAR-48 has a premium on its price, not only because it was factory made by IMBEL, but it is a pre-ban that some ban states grandfathered (in the past). Most if not all of those ban-states have since closed that loophole.

So, like anything, to check the value of something look to the auction sites and the MP to see what people are willing to pay for them.

grinchcop
September 23, 2017, 14:46
Again, thanks for everyone's thoughts and help. I found a LNIB SAR48 for a not-too-painful price this morning. That'll put me happily back into the FAL game!
Now to find some magazines......

pureveggie
October 19, 2017, 12:04
Hi guys so I'd be interested to know how u folks feel abt dsarms new barrels quality compared to say original fn fal Belgium barrels!!!???? I just ordered a new 18 inch barrel from dsarms for a project I'm working on?! Any feelings out there?? Dsarms claims their new barrels are much better than original fn fal Belgium barrels!! Thanks fal guy nc

hagar
October 19, 2017, 12:18
Again, thanks for everyone's thoughts and help. I found a LNIB SAR48 for a not-too-painful price this morning. That'll put me happily back into the FAL game!
Now to find some magazines......

How much if I may ask?

pureveggie
October 19, 2017, 13:25
The sar 48 recently on gb are pretty nice guns!! So are some of the Argintiene ones too!!! How much max are you willing to spend total?? I'd start with that question bro??? The marketplace here often has some nice guns for sale too with great sellers I also might have a private referral to share with you who I used to do quite a lot of business with who may something nice to offer you?! Pm me thanks fal guy nc

pureveggie
October 19, 2017, 13:31
Hi I have a source for some really nice Belgian New and used mags for roughly 20.00 each for new orig Belgium 20s and the used ones might go for 15.00 they're all mint cond by a close friend pm me they are here in nc and I'm picking up some new orig Belgium ones for 20.00 on this sat pm me if ur interested and I'll give u his phone number!!! Great honest guy who is offering me great deals on orig fn parts recently best fal guy

denny
October 19, 2017, 13:42
Most if not all the marketplace do not cobble their kits together and are about the best buys.
An SAR 48 is a great gun built by Imbel imported by Springfield.
Imbel is the Military complex in
Brazil that supplies to their Military .
So it is not cobbled together.
Denny

grinchcop
October 19, 2017, 15:37
How much if I may ask?

>$1900, plus shipping after the auction closed. Pricey, I know, but I have had the Springfield imports in the past (way in the past) and couldn't have been happier with them. I am paying dearly for my earlier stupidity for getting rid of the SAR-48's. The greatest sin was selling my G-series FAL (with type B bayonet, HK-made .22 conversion kit in the wooden case, armorer's roll, etc.).

hagar
October 19, 2017, 15:52
Been tempted to sell one of my 2, because I have to get rid of a lot of "stuff" if I want to move back West in 2-3 years. But I think they will be the last to go! :beer:

I'm going to get rid of kits, parts, SKS's, K31, some Enfields and hunting rifles like crazy one of these days. Cannot shoot old style open sights any more, so why keep them?

Invictus77
October 19, 2017, 15:58
Been tempted to sell one of my 2, because I have to get rid of a lot of "stuff" if I want to move back West in 2-3 years. But I think they will be the last to go! :beer:

I'm going to get rid of kits, parts, SKS's, K31, some Enfields and hunting rifles like crazy one of these days. Cannot shoot old style open sights any more, so why keep them?

Call me first brother ..... PLEASE :biggrin:

lockjaw
October 20, 2017, 22:02
You may also consider builds performed by well established gunsmiths such as ARS or Sledgehammer. The quality is on par, if not superior, to a factory build, due to attention to detail.

I own a few ARS rifles, and all (except for one which was built with all unserialzed NOS parts) were serialized to match the receiver and date stamped. In fact, I just traded for an ARS rifle locally, which I may toss out of Marketplace because I need another FAL like I need a hole in the head. When you see quality, it is hard to pass it up when stumbled upon. :wink:

leam_h
November 05, 2017, 20:28
Was the question of rough cost estimate ever answered? I just checked Gun Plumber's page and he only seems to build from customer parts kits. Both of mine were sold years ago when I lost my job.

I'd like to get into NRA High Power and the DSA nicer FAL runs 1700. Note that I won't win NRA High Power but I could shoot a beautiful rifle while losing. :shades:

Addendum: Just saw that Mark has kits but doesn't sell receivers. Dang.