PDA

View Full Version : New builder needs advice/ help.

Rhodesiaforever
September 17, 2017, 19:11
I bought an imbel kit, and an older Coonan receiver for my first build. I got the receiver and began assembling the gun. got the whole thing put together and went to mate the upper and lower receivers. when I did so, I realized that the upper doesn't fully lock to the lower. If I insert the pivot pin then try to snap them together, it only locks halfway. If I snap them together and then try to insert the pin, the pin will not insert. What will I need to do to make it fit?
Thanks in advance.

meltblown
September 17, 2017, 19:20
You are fine. Take the doohickey out of the lower and file it a tad on the flat side.

Rhodesiaforever
September 17, 2017, 19:24
You are fine. Take the doohickey out of the lower and file it a tad on the flat side.

Thank you

STG_58_guy
September 17, 2017, 22:25
This will not turn out well :D

OP, what do you mean by snapping together half way?

Rhodesiaforever
September 18, 2017, 14:30
This will not turn out well :D

OP, what do you mean by snapping together half way?

I mean that the takedown lever is not in the closed or open positions. its in between

Vulcanator
September 18, 2017, 14:55
I believe the lever position should not be in the fully closed to allow for wear on the retaining pin (maybe incorrect part terminology). I'm sure those with more experience than I will chime in.

meltblown
September 18, 2017, 15:07
It needs to be engaged damn pert near all the way forward on lock up. You can file the tang a bit, although I wouldn't. Or take the lug out and file the flat to get it to engage. The tang is probably oversize. GP may chime in here to say if he's seen that part of the uppers oversized on the Coonans.

This issue isn't super rare.

4markk
September 18, 2017, 17:19
It needs to be engaged damn pert near all the way forward on lock up. You can file the tang a bit, although I wouldn't. Or take the lug out and file the flat to get it to engage. The tang is probably oversize. GP may chime in here to say if he's seen that part of the uppers oversized on the Coonans.

This issue isn't super rare.

No, no, no, no, no ...... step away from the file (that includes the dremel as well). Let's identify the problem BEFORE removing material.

Although it is not uncommon for the locking lever to be canted, you may have a different issue.

You really need to post pics so we know what you have and what is going on.

Rhodesiaforever
September 18, 2017, 18:12
No, no, no, no, no ...... step away from the file (that includes the dremel as well). Let's identify the problem BEFORE removing material.

Although it is not uncommon for the locking lever to be canted, you may have a different issue.

You really need to post pics so we know what you have and what is going on.

here you go, the first one is how it should look, the second is how it does.
http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/Rhodesia4ever/media/20170918_183520_zpshge4ojsp.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s1250.photobucket.com/user/Rhodesia4ever/media/20170918_183601_zpsaajqru3s.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

Invictus77
September 18, 2017, 18:15
Pix no workie.....

OLDMANPBK
September 18, 2017, 18:31
Looks like you need to stone your doohickey a bit.

4markk
September 18, 2017, 20:31
Open the action and see if you can press the locking lug in until it is flush with the back recoil plate. If you can't press it flush the stock is interfering with it.

Need a pic of the locking catch on the upper receiver.