PDA

View Full Version : Locking shoulder sticking out

Johnaski
September 17, 2017, 17:24
On my L1A1 Entreprise receiver forged billet early 2000 serial, Buena Park, the locking shoulder was sticking out on the right side of the receiver about halfway (with regards to the typical locking shoulder size), the wide side of the shoulder. Has a single number 4 on the surface. It looked like it was stuck out about 3-4 mm. I've carefully hammered it in with a punch and hammer and it took quite a few hits but it's now in only sticking out maybe 1 mm. It's not loose at all and looked like it was just made that way. Checked head space and it's still good to go.

I guess the question is: Do builders get lazy and not hammer these in all the way?

MAINER
September 17, 2017, 17:59
Nope, quite normal for the LS to stand proud on the right side of the Receiver. I don't know what the specs are, but about 1/16th of an inch sounds about right.

MM's is a foreign language to me, but 3-4 of them seems excessive and one of them sounds about right as it figures out to about 0.0395", give or take a few small digits.

Suggest that next time you try dry fitting the "dogleg" in the slot to determine the amount of protrusion you will have.

gunplumber
September 17, 2017, 18:15
Well, you have several issues

how far it sticks, which as mainer said, a little is ok. But you want to make sure there isn't a burr of metal under the dog leg that is preventing it from going in further.

There is the fact that you were able to get it to go in further which suggests it is moving. Should not move at all! I'd replace it with an oversize 1.

The number on the side means that it was (at one time) a .264, but there is nothing to say it wasn't made smaller to headspace. So I'd measure the shank to the forward face (assuming your headspace is where you want it, and rely on that measurement for ordering and OS-1, rather than going off the number on the side.

meltblown
September 17, 2017, 18:27
Depends on how hard you had to whack it. If I backed out, then what GP said. Any I have pounded home were done with a good bit of authority and a sizeable hammer bucked with a soft piece of copper.

Stoney
September 17, 2017, 18:35
is it flush on the left side?

Johnaski
September 17, 2017, 18:51
It was flush with the left (round) side, now it sticks out a couple of mm. On the right (dogleg side) it's now only sticking out maybe 1mm, 1.5mm. It was not easy to pound in further; It took a punch slightly smaller than the diameter of the shoulder and first a bronze hammer then moved up to a steel hammer. I could probably hammer it flush on the right side but didn't want to over-do it as this is my first fal. Should I go ahead and hammer it flush? The way it had been painted, it looked like it was originally put in and left sticking out 3-4mm. As hard as it was to pound in further, it looks as though whoever put it together just put in in so it was flush on the right side and left it sticking out on the left.

I'll keep an eye on it see if it moves any. If it does I'll re-head space it and re-shoulder it.