PDA

View Full Version : Tula strikes again.....

DelawareTacticalDynamics
September 17, 2017, 15:07
Well, went to test fire my new imbel. First of all the mags I thought were a steal were cheap for a reason. They are brand new but when I went to load them, they were terribly difficult to load. The follower would tilt one way or the other and jam up, well turns out they do not Seat high enough in the trifle to allow the bolt to strip a round off the mag.

Moving on, fired maybe ten and rounds and bam, floor was late blows off the mag and smoke comes out of every crack and seam connected to the receiver. Pulled the head right off the casing.

Lesson learned, you get what you pay for. No sense in spending over $1000 on a build and cheap I g out on mags and ammo.

Here's a pic:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Ba0z4f-CRyN204bkJHNUFqTnc

fuel fire desire
September 17, 2017, 15:14
Stop.

Shooting.

Tula.

I had this happen to me years ago, and I don't have enough fingers on each hand to count how many identical stories I've heard since then.

https://i.imgur.com/18yVJLM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WjH42ts.jpg

MK ULTRA
September 17, 2017, 15:45
You're lucky. Dont do that again....

DelawareTacticalDynamics
September 17, 2017, 16:07
I'm a loader so nothing but quality factory or my own stuff. What about ZQ1?

Thorack
September 17, 2017, 16:08
NOW THATS A FIRE!! Roll'em around a little bit he be OK.

Thorack

meltblown
September 17, 2017, 16:17
I'm a loader so nothing but quality factory or my own stuff. What about ZQ1?

It goes bang and does fine for what it is. Better than steel case but not my 1st choice unless the price is right. Sort of like CBC

cjjtulsa
September 17, 2017, 16:17
Is it that some folks just need to see for themselves?

I recently sold off a case of it I got cheap, because I was afraid to shoot it in ANYTHING.

fuel fire desire
September 17, 2017, 16:23
I've bought thousands of rounds of ZQI. I've made my way through maybe 1200 so far. All go bang, all feed well, but accuracy is mediocre. I'm seeing 4-5" out of a 16" DSA at 100 yards. Not all of that is me.

I still consider it a deal when I can get it under $0.50/rnd

meltblown
September 17, 2017, 16:27
I've bought thousands of rounds of ZQI. I've made my way through maybe 1200 so far. All go bang, all feed well, but accuracy is mediocre. I'm seeing 4-5" out of a 16" DSA at 100 yards. Not all of that is me.

I still consider it a deal when I can get it under $0.50/rnd

Do you find yourself closing off the gas regulator? That's what I notice. Most of my rifles run reloads and PMC. Sure as heck all of them will short stroke on my "normal" gas setting when they get ZQI.

fuel fire desire
September 17, 2017, 16:35
Do you find yourself closing off the gas regulator? That's what I notice. Most of my rifles run reloads and PMC. Sure as heck all of them will short stroke on the gas setting my "normal" gas setting when they get ZQI.

To be honest, ZQI is all I've run in the last year, but yes. It is a couple notches more closed than PMC (it's wide open on PMC). And not just in the FAL, but in my RFB too.

VALMET
September 17, 2017, 16:54
Is it that some folks just need to see for themselves?

I recently sold off a case of it I got cheap, because I was afraid to shoot it in ANYTHING.

My sentiments exactly. I don't fire it in anything either.

Arby
September 17, 2017, 17:23
For me, ZQI has been okay, nothing remarkable. I bought a bit of it to try it out (some said it was pretty good), but also because it is boxer primed.

You mentioned problems with the magazines. Do you know their origin?

DelawareTacticalDynamics
September 17, 2017, 18:14
Get em on gunbroker from Jestice

lew
September 17, 2017, 18:35
On the remaining, pull the bullets, throw the cases, and put the powder on your plants.

Stoney
September 17, 2017, 18:37
their 762x39 seems Ok

Falfan2017
September 17, 2017, 18:43
Wonder why the 7.62x39 seems to do ok and the .223 doesn't constantly blow up guns but then the .308 is a train wreck

ByronF
September 17, 2017, 18:47
Commie guns are made for steel case, and vice versa. It's not that the x39 is made to any higher standards than the x51, its that the rifle's chamber is designed to digest it.

32" Super Swampers are great on my Jeep. Don't put Super Swampers on your BMW.

concretus
September 17, 2017, 19:02
Get em on gunbroker from Jestice

I bought some from him and they never made it out of the shop. The followers tilted either way as you stated, the fit was very tight and didn't feel comfortable with them. I sent him an email explaining what was happening and sent them right back for a refund. He said he was going to speak to the source he gets them from.......
I'll only run surplus ammo through my Imbel; ammo that was designed for the rifle. You can find it for less than .50 a round...

FN FNG
September 18, 2017, 10:29
Ya dum dum

lew
September 18, 2017, 11:46
Wonder why the 7.62x39 seems to do ok and the .223 doesn't constantly blow up guns but then the .308 is a train wreck

7.62x39 offers very easy extraction with the prnounced case taper. I had a handful of FTE's and some rims shearing off in multiple .223 guns with Herter's 55 gr. steel case. My buddy's .223 AK pistol has no problem. I'm guessing they're using a powder that has a burn rate that is incompatible with most non-AK .223 rifles (and this may apply to .308, as well). Therefore, the chamber pressure has not lowered sufficiently before the rifle's operating system starts moving. The quality of the cases also leaves a lot to be desired. That's my guess. I don't have any more non-7.62x39 steel case, nor do I care to test the hypothesis.

hueyville
September 18, 2017, 11:54
I think they are doing it on purpose at this point. I have one case of Tula 9mm and quite a few assorted boxes of rifle given to me and plan is to pull projectiles and load into brass cases w powder from a Dillon powder measure. Reason have any is a friend blew up a rifle with Tula and brought to me for an explanation. Googled "Tula Kaboom" and then showed him the thread per month here where a darn near indestructible battle rifle gave up. He asked best way to dispose of what he had left and said bring to me. Case of 308 minus a single box, case of 223 minus two boxes, case of 9mm with factory seal, half case of 7.62x39 said shot fine and why bought the 308, 223 and 9mm. That's a heck of an investment in trash. Wish I could get the primers out of cases without messing them up. I have several well marked kegs of mixed powder saving for end of world and need for fertilizer with slightly higher burn rate than fertilizer. Plan to crush necks on all cases so some reloader that actually pilfers the scrap bins at scrap yard doesn't think hit a home run score. Either take up reloading or stop using Tula. Would think anyone that patronized any discussion forums would not know that by now and sales become so weak they were forced to improve their product.

And don't want any offers on the x39 or 9mm saying never had a problem with it and willing to shoot it. Promised to neuter it and if 100 cases of x39 were to be on my front porch when get home biggest risk might take is trying to determine burn rate of that much powder to use in reduced velocity cast bullet loads as most of the x39 we shoot is 160 grain lead.

djfin
September 20, 2017, 10:08
Commie guns are made for steel case, and vice versa. It's not that the x39 is made to any higher standards than the x51, its that the rifle's chamber is designed to digest it.

32" Super Swampers are great on my Jeep. Don't put Super Swampers on your BMW.

As GP has explained on more than once it is a Tula quality control issue and has nothing to do with the rifle. The US military tested steel case ammo and had no issues according to the information posted on this site by a member who would know. I have been using Chinese steel case for years as I loaded up on it years ago when it was dirt cheap and have never had any issues ever. Using crap no matter the case material is the real issue as brass cases have blow up many times also. Cheaper is not always a good deal

hueyville
September 21, 2017, 07:16
As GP has explained on more than once it is a Tula quality control issue and has nothing to do with the rifle. The US military tested steel case ammo and had no issues according to the information posted on this site by a member who would know. I have been using Chinese steel case for years as I loaded up on it years ago when it was dirt cheap and have never had any issues ever. Using crap no matter the case material is the real issue as brass cases have blow up many times also. Cheaper is not always a good deal

Have tons of steel case, steel core 39 purchased for pennies years ago and never had an issue. Purchased a 1,600 round case of steel case, steel core combloc ammo a couple years ago. Never had any issue with it or reloading it if willing to reload steel. But this modern Chinese crap even in 39 or any other cartridge is not going in my guns. Penny wise and Pound foolish...

kev
September 21, 2017, 08:54
Stop.

Shooting.

Tula.

I had this happen to me years ago, and I don't have enough fingers left on each hand to count how many identical stories I've heard since then.

Consider it 'fixed'.