PDA

View Full Version : Para question

pistolero1911
September 16, 2017, 17:48
Recently picked up a DSA Para lower to convert my GL Imbel 50.00 to a 50.64 clone. Added a set of Milsurp Monkey's Para springs, a dingus tube from Numrich and DSA Para bolt carrier and no-nose dust cover. All went together fine, and I can rack the BCG and chamber and eject my dummy rounds without issue. But, and this is a bit of an issue, I can't break the rifle down. After removing the magazine and putting the safety on an empty chamber, I can get the lock to release, but when I go to try and break the gun to remove the dust cover / BCG, it won't budge. Did I put it together wrong, or have I overlooked something?:fal:

Invictus77
September 16, 2017, 17:57
Is your bolt closed???

Impala_Guy
September 16, 2017, 18:09
Sounds like the new lower won't allow the locking pin (the part that retracts when you pull the lever with your thumb) to retract far enough with the available lever throw to let go of the receiver hook. If it still wont open with the bolt out of the gun then thats whats heppening. I think there were different length pins available for just this reason. I'd try a different locking pin in the lower. Or maybe take a few licks on the nose of the pin with a file.Go slow ae odds are you are only hanging up by a small amount anyway.

Lee Carpentieri
September 16, 2017, 18:23
When you open the upper from the lower, Stick your finger underneath the upper were the bolt is and push the bolt up while pulling the top cover off.It's the locking lug that is holding the bolt down.;)

pistolero1911
September 16, 2017, 20:19
Thanks all. By pushing up on the bolt while fiddling with the charging handle and using my third hand to release the locking pin I was able to get the rifle open and remove the dust cover and BCG.

Removed and reinstalled the springs and BCG on the Para dust cover, rifle now closes and opens without issue. Maybe something wasn't installed right the first time.

Upon further review, I think that the rear swivel loop had moved too far forward to allow the frame locking lever to fully disengage. Gotta keep that in mind for the future.