PDA

View Full Version : Izzy rear site, metric front

rMac71
June 18, 2002, 16:28
Just documenting a bit of a problem I had with my G-1 build. I used an Entreprise G-1 rcvr and everything went together pretty well. Timing was spot on. It required minor fitting at the rear take down pin but no big deal. It also required a little polishing on the rcvr rails (very rough tooling marks). But, the biggest problem I faced was that the gun shot WAAAY low. We are talking 6 inches at 25 yds. I couldn't figure out why and still can't. It groups well and all other things look fine. Anyway, I tried a 0 dot site which helped some but it was still 5 inches low at 100 yds. If I moved the rear site up to the 300 yd mark it would hit about 1 inch low. I considered just leaving it there but after some helpful advice on rear sight height from the board (many thanks Kotengu!) . I swapped out the rear metric with an Izzy rear sight and put a 3 dot on the front. It is now printing where it should- about 3 inches high at 100 on the 200 Metre setting. So, this is a possible fix for those who have similar problems. Any ideas why it shot so low to start with? My guess is something to do with the Entreprise rcvr, but no clue really.
Randy

madecov
June 18, 2002, 17:51
My Imbel/STG kit gun is shooting the same way. I couldn't get on paper at 100 yds because it was shooting so low.
It is currently back at the smith who built it for some correction.

kotengu
June 18, 2002, 21:26
Glad it worked!

I don't know why they do it, but some just seem to shoot low. I have a G1 kit that I put on an Imbel receiver and shortened to 17.5" (just behind the lug) and it shoots pretty darn low as well (not quite 6" at 25yds!!!!). The only thing I can think of is the "stacking of tolerances" idea with all the different parts we're using from all the different countries, but even then I can't see making that big of a difference......

Maybe someone else can chime in.