View Full Version : good shotgun for skeet?

September 16, 2017, 09:03
I'm asking for help in order to advise a cousin of mine. He recently contacted me saying he wanted to buy three guns. One was a shotgun for skeet shooting. He said "I want a 12 g to shoot skeet with, something good and dependable, something more than basic but not some $3000.00 over/under job!" Okay, I know next to nothing about skeet shooting so I'm soliciting advice here. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

September 16, 2017, 09:18
Any one that fits him. He really needs to be fitted for a shotgun. If it don't fit, he won't hit.

September 16, 2017, 09:27
If it don't fit, he won't hit.

I've been there and done that with a beautiful O/U shotty that just simply did not fit me. The guy who bought it from me seems to like it immensely and do quite well with it ;)

If possible, he should try out a few loaners before buying so he has a better idea what works for him.

September 16, 2017, 09:29
Auto loader or pump? Benelli makes good guns that aren't crazy expensive.

September 16, 2017, 10:31
I've used a Beretta 391 Urika consistently since 2004 and it has seen thousands and thousands of shells since then. Very reliable and can generally be had for $700-1k. Beretta stopped mfg this model a few years ago and "updated" the design to the A400 (which I don't have much experience with) but understand it is comparable. Owned a $5k+ Beretta DT-10 and sold it as I preferred the 391 to it, if your cousin can find a used/exc cond 391 he may want to consider taking a look.

September 16, 2017, 11:48
Some of the Turkish and the Baikal made over unders and look very nice. Walmart even sells them now. I have a Browning Superposed and occasionally they can be picked up under a grand in good used condition though in mint condition they have gotten pricey. I much prefer a double gun for skeet. You'll want fairly open chokes.

September 17, 2017, 09:10
Lol - I can tell you one not to get - the 828u... great field gun WAY too light to put box after box thru shooting clays, believe it or not a A400 with the "kick-off" system is pretty amazing if you want to shoot all day and not be crippled:-) I put 3 boxes through my 828 yesterday and definitely feel it this morning - I like the Franchi Instinct if you want a 20ga - a little less than the A400.

September 17, 2017, 10:32
I bought an old Remington 1100. I think it was made in the 1970s. I've been happy with it. 0 recoil with birdshot

September 17, 2017, 12:34
He should buy that Fausti I have listed in the marketplace, I'll go bump it :)

Bwana John
September 26, 2017, 21:30
Are we talking real international or Olympic style skeet, or just clay targets thrown casually?

September 26, 2017, 23:29
I bought an old Remington 1100. I think it was made in the 1970s. I've been happy with it. 0 recoil with birdshot

Me too. Shot skeet with it last weekend as a matter of fact.