PDA

View Full Version : All FL residents safe?

4markk
September 11, 2017, 06:47
I deployed to Orlando area to assist with Irma. A little messy here but not too bad. Interestingly the wind has dried most of the streets.

skinnydash
September 11, 2017, 07:38
I made it! Just clean up...no repairs.

skinnydash
September 11, 2017, 07:42
Rbgonoles lives here in St Pete. Hope he checks in.

Armed2012 is also local.

J. Armstrong
September 11, 2017, 08:04
I'm waiting for some friends to check in from Daytona. Doesn't look like it was too bad there. An old friend who lives down in San Marcos is MIA, but most likely because he evacuated and just hasn't touched base yet. He likely lost his house.

Eyeguy
September 11, 2017, 08:38
I'm an hour south of Tampa. No damage other than pool cage. Worst was around midnight with a few hours of hurricane force winds/gusts. I boarded up so all good here.

Irma weakened considerably after coming ashore. The Keys, Naples and Miami are not so fortunate.

rbgonoles
September 11, 2017, 10:33
Rbgonoles lives here in St Pete. Hope he checks in.

Armed2012 is also local.

All good here. Heading to my house soon:fal:

genethepoolcleaner
September 11, 2017, 10:37
Glad to hear you guy's made out ok.

Invictus77
September 11, 2017, 10:49
No damage other than pool cage.

All good here.

Good to hear you are both well amigos :cheers:

I've now heard from friends in St Pete, friends/neighbors at our condo, employees around Polk country, and friends over by Orlando & Cocoa beach areas. That entire cross section of central FL seems to have minimal damage beyond trees, roof shingles, and power outages. I'm sure just as you experienced Mark, the lanai rebuild business will be really booming the next several months there.

All of our friends down in SoFL bugged out however (like me and Blondzilla did). I know they are away and safe, but no idea what type of mess they will have when they get back. One of my engineers who lives near Naples said the couple of people he has heard from that stayed are saying some of the damage there is pretty ugly.

meltblown
September 11, 2017, 11:03
One of my engineers who lives near Naples said the couple of people he has heard from that stayed are saying some of the damage there is pretty ugly.

That's weird. Friend of mine who lives on the river in Estero close to where I used to live says everything was pretty ok. I'm wondering if Naples got hit by a tornado.

Invictus77
September 11, 2017, 11:28
I'm wondering if Naples got hit by a tornado.

I have no idea and I don't think he really does other than what he was told from home. He and his family had a cabin reserved for vacation in NC coming up in a month or so. They let him move his reservation up to now so they went to NC. The important part is that all I have heard from in FL are safe. "Stuff" is replaceable.

brunop
September 11, 2017, 12:09
Glad everyone we've heard from is safe!

lew
September 11, 2017, 12:12
That's weird. Friend of mine who lives on the river in Estero close to where I used to live says everything was pretty ok. I'm wondering if Naples got hit by a tornado.

My family in Naples proper stated something about a tornado. Other than that, fairly undramatic.

J. Armstrong
September 11, 2017, 13:13
My contacts in Daytona report few problems other than some beachside flooding, some wind damage mostly to older roofs. A tornado or possibly two in outlying counties, no fatalities reported.

Sure hope the rest of the FL Files crew are also safe and sound !

Frenchkat
September 11, 2017, 19:19
Update from the South Miami Dade area.

Rode out the storm with the in-laws (yeah, there's a bunch of fun right there) just east of FIU. Power outage, high winds, lost a couple of trees, no damage except some water leakage under the east facing good.

Our house down in Cutler Bay (mandatory flood evac zone A) came through with only the loss of power and the porch screens. However, lots of trees down all over.

Arby
September 11, 2017, 19:30
Anyone heard from Lee Carpentieri?

rarecat
September 11, 2017, 19:35
All clear and power restored here in Gator Country

Boomerdownsir
September 11, 2017, 20:01
Ft. Lauderdale reporting in, a lot of down trees but power is back online. We we're the luckier of our neighborhood. But all is well, besides not having a generator I was prepared long before the storm was on radar. Sad I couldn't say the same about some of my neighbors. Even though we didn't take a direct eye hit, it was a wild one for sure. Props to FPL for getting power on so quickly, Wilma I was out for 3 weeks. Stay safe everyone🙂😁

cavegeo
September 12, 2017, 07:56
George here in Central Florida not bad lots of debris and trees tacking power lines down with them. Roads have been opened up and crew are working to restore power.

We still have power at my house neighbors not so lucky.

fnogger
September 12, 2017, 10:20
No damage, no real wind just lots of rain. But no power yet adn not likely to have it for a few more days. Need to get gas for the generator and see if I can get an old camp stove I have running as well.

Trypcil
September 12, 2017, 10:31
Seems by my Florida friends consensus, that Irma - was lots of fluff but no Huff - thankfully tho' Americans were put first and a double plus mark for the Trumpster and his Gov'nors in dealing with the recents winds, and of getting People out of harms way. Now, as long as hilary's CF doesn't get involved, as it did in Haiti, and any other Looters are minimalised then Florida should bounce back - Houston, may take a little longer!

Zimm
September 12, 2017, 11:30
We lost power at 8:00 and had it restored at 3:00pm next day.
My neighborhood really came together for this.we have a lot of seniors and elderly (70-80yr old)and several neighbors put their shutters up for them.a lot of sharing supplies and such.we have a neighborhood Facebook page that everyone used.
Great practice run for if something really bad happened

01BIRDDOG
September 12, 2017, 12:26
Man this is good news from our friends. I know we have some 400 A.E.P. workers in route there.

desert_dick
September 13, 2017, 05:19
Not too much damage here in Tallahassee. Got it worse last year...once they're this far inland, they 're usually reduced to a tropical storm.

-Rich

concretus
September 13, 2017, 06:14
We faired the storm okay. The Space center remains closed due to potable water issues; so I can't go back to work until at least tomorrow....Oddly, two thirds of my neighborhood have the power restored. I'm in the third that doesn't. There seems to be an issue with debris on the power lines. The power company will not remove the lines. They have a contractor that takes care of that. So we have to wait until the debris is removed in order for the power company to make the repairs. I totally agree the area must be safed before they go in. I commend the lineman for the work they have been done in this disaster and as quickly they are bringing people's lives somewhat back to normal!!! The thing that pisses me off are the people in this neighborhood that do not keep their trees clear of the power lines that come through their yard. Their neglect is somewhat responsible for what happens in the rest of the neighborhood. It's not like this is the first time it has happened. I'm not a fan of HOA's by no means but it does seen rather irresponsible for this to happen when others fail to consider the entire neighborhood. With all that said, I know there are folks out there that are worse off then I and my heart goes out to them. If you can, the local charities are doing wonderful things to provide help. Please help if you can by supporting these charities....Rant over..

fnogger
September 13, 2017, 08:04
So I screwed up last night. Went and got gas - filled car, 2x 5 gallon cans for generator - and drove off leaving one of the cans behind. Went back 3 minutes later, it was gone.

I know I tend to forget shit and typically run a checklist ... hopefully whoever grabbed it needs it just as much as I do.

rarecat is a city dweller - only a few w/o power in Gainesville (my mom has multiple trees down over her lines, has a crew working on trees but no sign of power workers yet). Out here in the Alachua/High Springs area still thousands without power but some folks a few miles up the line from us got reconnected last night, so I'm hopeful.

Lee Carpentieri
September 13, 2017, 08:56
Yes Arby, Alive and doing OK. Allot of fence sections gone, Went without power from Saturday Night till this morning Wednesday morning way early. Thank's to the power crews from Iron Mountain Michigan for getting us back up so quick. Hundreds of Power crews from around the country showed up. All sorts of LEO's on the Job plus several thousand Florida National Guard troops on the streets backing up LEO's. From Miami Beach Marina's to Key West are totally destroyed. All our niebours stuck together and helping the newbies to the hood. Saw all sorts of Black hawks and a bunch of C-17's coming in to the area.

Local News just reported that Jet Blue the Airlines has 20 food trucks in down town Ft. Lauderdale today serving lunch and later dinner to the local,s free of charge.
That's all for now.

concretus
September 13, 2017, 13:18
We faired the storm okay. The Space center remains closed due to potable water issues; so I can't go back to work until at least tomorrow....Oddly, two thirds of my neighborhood have the power restored. I'm in the third that doesn't. There seems to be an issue with debris on the power lines. The power company will not remove the lines. They have a contractor that takes care of that. So we have to wait until the debris is removed in order for the power company to make the repairs. I totally agree the area must be safed before they go in. I commend the lineman for the work they have been done in this disaster and as quickly they are bringing people's lives somewhat back to normal!!! The thing that pisses me off are the people in this neighborhood that do not keep their trees clear of the power lines that come through their yard. Their neglect is somewhat responsible for what happens in the rest of the neighborhood. It's not like this is the first time it has happened. I'm not a fan of HOA's by no means but it does seen rather irresponsible for this to happen when others fail to consider the entire neighborhood. With all that said, I know there are folks out there that are worse off then I and my heart goes out to them. If you can, the local charities are doing wonderful things to provide help. Please help if you can by supporting these charities....Rant over..

Thanks for a place to vent...Through this ordeal I have become fortunate to got to know some of the neighbors; up till now I just waved and had small talk. They have been a great help and I'm very thankful and grateful for them. I'm also thankful for the blessings I've received and know the utility people from our state and all over the country are working very hard to help restore things to somewhat normal. Thank you all very much!!!!

Jimbo Jones
September 13, 2017, 13:40
My mom and sister in Tallahassee lost power but it came back on the next day. Headed there at the end of the month to see what needs to be done.

paulb2112
September 13, 2017, 15:16
Trees, fence, screen, and a few roof tiles.
Power coming on popped a/c unit.
Things are getting back to normal now and feeling pretty lucky.
People here saw Houston and took this seriously early.
Glad so many filers are in good shape.

fnogger
September 13, 2017, 15:53
Just got power back about 10 minutes ago. Life is good.

Andy the Aussie
September 14, 2017, 04:43
Anyone heard from Lee Carpentieri?

Yes Arby, Alive and doing OK. Allot of fence sections gone, Went without power from Saturday Night till this morning Wednesday morning way early. Thank's to the power crews from Iron Mountain Michigan for getting us back up so quick. Hundreds of Power crews from around the country showed up. All sorts of LEO's on the Job plus several thousand Florida National Guard troops on the streets backing up LEO's. From Miami Beach Marina's to Key West are totally destroyed. All our niebours stuck together and helping the newbies to the hood. Saw all sorts of Black hawks and a bunch of C-17's coming in to the area.

Local News just reported that Jet Blue the Airlines has 20 food trucks in down town Ft. Lauderdale today serving lunch and later dinner to the local,s free of charge.
That's all for now.

GREAT to hear it mate. I was getting worried about you !!

2barearms
September 14, 2017, 16:34
I haven't gotten a reply from Mountainman. Lots of power problems though.

Lee Carpentieri
September 14, 2017, 21:09
Allot of cell towers went down fast. Was hard to just get a cell number let alone any texts out.

fnogger
September 14, 2017, 21:26
Allot of cell towers went down fast. Was hard to just get a cell number let alone any texts out.

Didn't loose any towers in my area, and the landline/dsl stayed active (if I powered up a phone... NEED to get a wall phone!) but they were VERY over loaded.

raubvogel
September 15, 2017, 05:31
So I screwed up last night. Went and got gas - filled car, 2x 5 gallon cans for generator - and drove off leaving one of the cans behind. Went back 3 minutes later, it was gone.

I know I tend to forget shit and typically run a checklist ... hopefully whoever grabbed it needs it just as much as I do.

rarecat is a city dweller - only a few w/o power in Gainesville (my mom has multiple trees down over her lines, has a crew working on trees but no sign of power workers yet). Out here in the Alachua/High Springs area still thousands without power but some folks a few miles up the line from us got reconnected last night, so I'm hopeful.

I talked to a friend of mine who lives in Trenton and she told yesterday her neighborhood was still without power. Another friend who lives by the racetrack in Gainesville had no power at least until Wednesday; have not heard from him since. Gainesville proper seems to be lots of trees down and that is it.

fnogger
September 15, 2017, 08:14
I talked to a friend of mine who lives in Trenton and she told yesterday her neighborhood was still without power. Another friend who lives by the racetrack in Gainesville had no power at least until Wednesday; have not heard from him since. Gainesville proper seems to be lots of trees down and that is it.

Does your friend have a generator, etc? If not, lemme know - I have a 400w inverter at my office at SF that I'll go into town and get for him... at least let him run a fridge and a fan and a light or two

mountainman
September 19, 2017, 15:37
alive and well, don't worry folks. One fence panel left and a hanging tree trunk I gotta figure how to chop without falling on me or the ladder taking a crash:?