PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question

i335a
June 18, 2002, 11:18
How much of an investment in tooling does it take to build your own FAL's from the parts kits?

gunsmith_tony
June 18, 2002, 11:50
Depends on how many kits you plan to build.

headspage guages (Go & NO-Go): about $50.00 for both
Guage rod (or pins): about $85.00 for rod or $30.00 for pins
receiver wrench: about $35.00-50.00 for a good one
stock removal tool: about $15.00-25.00
you can probably fashion a Bbl vice yourself.

These are the "basic" tools for assembling a kit.

DuaneFrye
June 18, 2002, 12:11
I got away pretty cheap compared to some. The only thing that I had to buy were the Go-NoGo gauges. These I bought from Bushmaster. My "receiver wrench" was a 5" vise and some cut-to-fit oak blocks. My "Barrel wrench" was an off-brand open-end item I found at a garage sale. I bought a few gauge pins and an adjustable ID gauge. About $20 total. Finally, my stock nut/pistol grip nut wrench was homemade using a socket and piece of threaded rod. I did modify a pair of needle nose pliers to aid in extractor removal, but I think that's it (Other than my trusty Dremel!:) ). Search the posts. There's lots of tips on tools.

Point is, you don't have to spend a ,of of money to do one or two builds. Save that for the ammo and goodies that will come later!

7.62FMJ
June 19, 2002, 00:52
You only need the guages. Read my post above- I used a C-Clamp, a 2x4, and a hammer. To remove the rear part of the stock use a cleaning rod and socket combo.