PDA

View Full Version : Question about L1A1 gas piston and spring

Johnaski
September 09, 2017, 17:48
The L1A1 gas piston and spring (original military), seem to be just a little bit shorter than a metric gas piston/spring?

Thanks

OLDMANPBK
September 09, 2017, 18:48
Inch gas piston is slightly longer- 11.625 vs 11.587. The diameter of the heads are the same-.430+or- a little. Don't know about the spring. The gas pistons are interchangeable.

Johnaski
September 09, 2017, 18:54
That's odd because the metric piston I got from Falcon arms was longer by about 1/8 inch and the spring was longer. It wouldn't fit into the gas tube very far. The one if came with, a british military piston and spring, goes in fine

OLDMANPBK
September 09, 2017, 19:05
Sounds like they gave you an Israeli length piston. The head dia. should be the same though. Send it back. I hate to recommend DSA for anything but I've never had a problem with their gas pistons.

Johnaski
September 11, 2017, 15:46
Nope, correct piston and spring; my gas tube was obstructed by build-up firing and surface rust residue from sitting for a long time in the shop I bought it from.

Good cleaning and new piston fits in; it is slightly larger than the Brit military one it came with (and longer by about an 8th of an inch