PDA

View Full Version : Experienced FAL Users-If a FAL does break, what will it most likely be?

Cecil45
September 08, 2017, 10:59
In your experience what FAL parts will most likely break?

Does the locking shoulder ever become so loose from wear/abuse that head spacing is an issue?

Thanks for replying...

Nuttz
September 08, 2017, 11:14
Bank account! :]

kotengu
September 08, 2017, 11:15
Typically you'll shoot out the barrel before anything else (assuming surplus parts - US parts are all over the map). The only part I've ever had break over multiple barrel lives is a hammer.

You will eventually have the locking shoulder hole enlarge to the point the shoulder will fall out, but we're talking ten or more barrel lifetimes to get there. Or pounding the same locking shoulder in and out of the hole with a BFH over and over and over again. :tongue:

Invictus77
September 08, 2017, 11:16
Don't worry about spare parts, just buy spare riFALs :wink:

kotengu
September 08, 2017, 11:16
Bank account! :]

Shouldn't you be meditating or something???

Invictus77
September 08, 2017, 11:20
Shouldn't you be meditating or something???

The correct term is MEDICATED ;)

OLDMANPBK
September 08, 2017, 11:23
This is a good spare parts thread. But just to be safe you should also have 1-20 extra FAL's on hand at all times. :wink:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=305987

Johnaski
September 08, 2017, 12:16
So you shouldn't pound the hole in and out over and over again?

notfrommt
September 08, 2017, 12:18
This is a good spare parts thread. But just to be safe you should also have 1-20 extra FAL's on hand at all times. :wink:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=305987

Correct; either assembled or in boxes of parts kits. That way if something breaks or doesn't look right you can swap it out.

There is a reason loggers don't go in the woods with one chainsaw.

:fal:

DakTo
September 08, 2017, 12:55
You can wear out the extractor before most everything else. The locking shoulder is not much an issue less you keep changing bolts and can't find the correct size when gauging.
The barrel will likely last 80,000 rounds on a new barrel and if you are fortunate to purchase and to fire that many rounds barrels average about $250.

Some other small parts may break before actually wearing out but mainly due to previous wear & tear in the military and not as much in civilian firing.

jugrunner
September 08, 2017, 13:16
Oh God, make me stone .. :facepalm: .. I have to say it ..

any metal part that DSa manuf. .. Unless it's one of their earlier parts which were made by Steyr and will last forever .. !

I did buy a Century L1A1 that the barrel would screw on and off by hand .. shot it for yrs before I noticed .. says a lot about Century .. and the FAL .. :wink:

justashooter
September 08, 2017, 13:45
spring for gas piston is vulnerable to corrosive ammo, as is gas selector and piston. entire gun should be cleaned after corrosive ammo, but these parts are most vulnerable. nothing else about this gun you couldn't run a truck over except for cheap plastic replacement furniture and wooden hand guards.

jbrooks
September 08, 2017, 15:13
I managed to break a firing pin. I think a spare FP is a good idea. Easy to change. Otherwise, nothing much else breaks on a FAL.

JWB

sharkey
September 08, 2017, 15:44
Amazing, could this be possible - 80,000 rds

meltblown
September 08, 2017, 16:17
About the only thing comes to mind is the gas regulator and firing pin. The rifle was designed for FA fire and just isn't prone to issues considering that most people can't afford the ammo to really stress one out.

If you're not burning up a $1000 worth of ammo a year, I wouldn't worry too much. Albeit I have so much junk in boxes that I could cobble together about 4 kits though.

jugrunner
September 08, 2017, 17:00
more parts will soon turn into another rifle .. or hasn't anyone told you .. ?? .. :facepalm:

meltblown
September 08, 2017, 17:12
more parts will soon turn into another rifle .. or hasn't anyone told you .. ?? .. :facepalm:

Truth spoken there

medicmike
September 08, 2017, 17:25

As they say, you can wear out the post but never the post hole....

Invictus77
September 08, 2017, 17:29
As they say, you can wear out the post but never the post hole....

Truer words were never spoken....and I HAVE tried :wink:

fullauto
September 08, 2017, 18:40
After 1000's of rds thru a Fal machinegun,I broke a FP spring.(Inch pattern)
I keep a complete set of internals(trigger group) for spares,including a bolt.

Andy the Aussie
September 08, 2017, 18:48
Extractor, Extractor Plunger...well after those it makes sense to have a spare Firing Pin. I would say also spare springs, particularly at least a set of Recoil Springs and a Piston Spring(s). I also advocate having spare "small easily lost or misplaces parts" as you are more likely to loose them than wear them out. If it is an ABC rifle get a few front sight retaining screws. In that day I had at least "ONE" of every part but that is truly overkill.

Invictus77
September 08, 2017, 19:10
Extractor, Extractor Plunger...well after those it makes sense to have a spare Firing Pin. I would say also spare springs, particularly at least a set of Recoil Springs and a Piston Spring(s). I also advocate having spare "small easily lost or misplaces parts" as you are more likely to loose them than wear them out. If it is an ABC rifle get a few front sight retaining screws. In that day I had at least "ONE" of every part but that is truly overkill.

Good start on an SLR kit Andy :biggrin:

tdb59
September 08, 2017, 19:16
Extractor, Extractor Plunger...well after those it makes sense to have a spare Firing Pin..

A complete bolt that headspaces in the rifle is simpler.

$.02

12v71
September 08, 2017, 19:45

$.02

Yup, a quick swap without chasing extractors in the weeds. Luckiest guy I ever saw was Milsupmonkey launching an extractor in Dave's shop... and finding ALL of it. Me... It would be gone forever. :rofl:

MK ULTRA
September 08, 2017, 20:26

Why would you want to do that??

old_spambo
September 08, 2017, 21:49
In the 15 years I have owned my FAL, the Austrian firing pin wore out,
2 different plungers on the gas plug have broken, 1 broken bolt, and
a Para Guide Rod after 200 rounds.

DSA has replaced some of the parts but I would expect the parts would
last longer than they have.

Spambo

jbrooks
September 08, 2017, 22:34
...1 broken bolt, ...

Please explain how this happened. Milsurp or DSA/Commercial?

JWB

4x401
September 08, 2017, 22:53
Been building/shooting FAL's since 2005.

Parts I've seen break (surplus);

(3) Bolts (surplus), and they fragmented at the face. I'm sure due to age/fatigue. 2 of them were being run in post samples, the other in a semi.

(2) FAL Firing pins (surplus).

(3) FAL Extractors (surplus).

Parts I've seen wear/worn out (surplus);

(Many) Springs...Duh.

(Several) Full length gas tubes (surplus).

G3isMe
September 08, 2017, 23:30
...I did buy a Century L1A1 that the barrel would screw on and off by hand .. shot it for yrs before I noticed .. says a lot about Century .. and the FAL .. :wink:

Oooo, you had one of the rare CAI takedown models....

Andy the Aussie
September 08, 2017, 23:47
$.02............................. ..... yes if they are available to you ;) for so long here they were not... ;)

ALL FAL
September 09, 2017, 01:15
If SHTF I would CARRY a spare Matched complete Bolt for my para, they interchange to exact LS seating. So that is a few seconds and I'm running again, other than that, NO Worries. All my spares are Grab and GO. I see TDB 59 agrees or I do, the bolt is easy to carry and fast to change.

lysanderxiii
September 09, 2017, 01:47
You can wear out the extractor before most everything else. The locking shoulder is not much an issue less you keep changing bolts and can't find the correct size when gauging.
The barrel will likely last 80,000 rounds on a new barrel and if you are fortunate to purchase and to fire that many rounds barrels average about $250.

Some other small parts may break before actually wearing out but mainly due to previous wear & tear in the military and not as much in civilian firing.
I don't think so.

I'll believe the receiver will last 80K + . . .

the gman
September 09, 2017, 01:52
Amazing, could this be possible - 80,000 rds

Once you've been around here for a little bit, you'll find that lots of things DakTo has to say aren't exactly true. I would highly doubt that even the well renowned and hammer forged STG58 barrels from Steyr would last even half that and would be lucky to last 30,000 rounds.

DakTo
September 09, 2017, 08:05
Once you've been around here for a little bit, you'll find that lots of things DakTo has to say aren't exactly true. I would highly doubt that even the well renowned and hammer forged STG58 barrels from Steyr would last even half that and would be lucky to last 30,000 rounds.

No one here has ever worn out a new FAL barrel nor have the Austrians worn out any of the StG58 barrels. Defects not withstanding.
No one believes half of what you have to say in the Political Forum. :wink:

CAR
September 09, 2017, 11:44
The only thing I have ever seen broken in a FAL was a firing pin in a well used Argie.

I would keep a spare extractor and spring as well as insurance against loss.

the gman
September 09, 2017, 15:08
No one here has ever worn out a new FAL barrel nor have the Austrians worn out any of the StG58 barrels. Defects not withstanding.
No one believes half of what you have to say in the Political Forum. :wink:

I NEVER post in the Political forum. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've seen plenty of shot out barrels in UK service: none of them had 80K rounds on them. Based on practical usage, the results of other testing and comparable round counts on similarly manufactured barrels, I would say that 20K rounds is the probable life expectancy of any semi-auto rifle barrel, FAL/L1A1 included.

This expectancy is based, at least in part, on a study completed by the Royal Small Arms Factory, Enfield; Lab Report 8-83 on the RSAF 82-2 barrel steel for L1A1 SLR. They were concerned that they had received several reports of the new hammered chamber barrels bursting before the end of their expected barrel life of 20,000 rounds. The study revealed that cold hammer forged barrels with a hammered chamber needed to be stress relieved for 2 hours at 580 degrees Centigrade so that they could achieve the expected barrel life of 20K rounds.

Now, unless you have some kind of report or official paperwork to confirm your wild assertions of an 80,000 round barrel life, I'm gonna log this under the "bullshit that DakTo spouts" file. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Y'know, kinda like the other day when you posted that no Armscorp receiver had ever been inch cut yet I happen to have one sitting on a shelf with both the inch mag cut and cut for the folding charging handle... :whistling::whistling:

nvcdl
September 10, 2017, 09:29
I saw an STG kit build break it's firing pin during a IPSC match.

DakTo
September 10, 2017, 09:29
Y'know, kinda like the other day when you posted that no Armscorp receiver had ever been inch cut yet I happen to have one sitting on a shelf with both the inch mag cut and cut for the folding charging handle... :whistling::whistling:

ARMSCORP never sold an inch T48 receiver and I have every one of their catalogs and have done business with them. I have converted several metric T48's to inch and built them on Australian parts kits.
Your T48 is a conversion by some one else.

Feel free to pull up a chair in the bullshit section.