PDA

View Full Version : PSA lower parts kit horrors

grumpy1
September 07, 2017, 21:39
Well a little while back I got a PSA lower parts kit. Well, finally got around to building a L.A.R. grizzly lower that I've had for quite awhile. I bought the PSA parts kit because I had heard good things about there parts and there prices are good.

Well, when I started the build it went bad from the get go. When I went to install the bolt catch, I tried dry fitting the plunger and it wouldn't go in. Checked the hole and there wasn't any burs and was correct size. Had to sand and re-polish the plunger and then re-coat it with some black oxide. So much for a quick and easy build. Next came the pivot pin detent pin, it too was over sized. Then it was the take down pin detent pin's try. All of the detent spring pins needed to be reworked except the selector switch pin.

Hope no one else has had these same problems, I need to let PSA know about the problems. Wish I would have gone to the local hardware store and bought the parts to build it from them.

gentlemanjoe
September 07, 2017, 21:59
Sounds like a problem with the lower. I have had nothing but good experiences with PSA except for their long shipping.

squid8286
September 07, 2017, 22:09
Just out of curiosity, what was the brand of lower?

rowjimmy
September 07, 2017, 22:15
Is the LAR .308 or 5.56?

I've heard there are some component size issues with the .308 stuff. There is no mil spec and each manufacturer (most) does their own thing IIRC.

ftierson
September 07, 2017, 23:21
I've used the PSA lower parts kits (usually the kit with the Magpul MOE grip and buttstock) for several 'builds,' including on Anderson and LRB lowers, with never any problems.

The only thing approaching a problem was with a couple of recent (17047xxx series) Anderson lowers where there was a little flash along the top of the mag hold open slot that required a few seconds with a sanding stick to allow a no-bind operation of the bolt hold open 'lever.' Since there is variability in the thickness of the bolt hold-opens and it's so easy to address, I don't consider it to be a problem...

Forrest

yellowhand
September 07, 2017, 23:42
I've used the PSA lower parts kits (usually the kit with the Magpul MOE grip and buttstock) for several 'builds,' including on Anderson and LRB lowers, with never any problems.

The only thing approaching a problem was with a couple of recent (17047xxx series) Anderson lowers where there was a little flash along the top of the mag hold open slot that required a few seconds with a sanding stick to allow a no-bind operation of the bolt hold open 'lever.' Since there is variability in the thickness of the bolt hold-opens and it's so easy to address, I don't consider it to be a problem...

Forrest

Same here, never any issues with their parts, sounds like lower???????

grumpy1
September 08, 2017, 17:17
Well, the lower is a milspec AR15 made by L.A.R. Manufacturing (not to be confused by Rock River L.A.R.) which was here in Utah before they got bought out and who supplied most of the major AR manufacturers. They were known for being one of the best AR manufacturers.

All the holes are the correct size based on the AA gauge pin set I have access to at work. The pins I picked up at my local hardware store slide in the holes with out any problems.

I may have just gotten a bad kit

yellowhand
September 08, 2017, 17:36
Well, the lower is a milspec AR15 made by L.A.R. Manufacturing (not to be confused by Rock River L.A.R.) which was here in Utah before they got bought out and who supplied most of the major AR manufacturers. They were known for being one of the best AR manufacturers.

All the holes are the correct size based on the AA gauge pin set I have access to at work. The pins I picked up at my local hardware store slide in the holes with out any problems.

I may have just gotten a bad kit

Call them, send it back, they will replace it.
Sometimes, nothing is perfect.:wink:

hueyville
September 08, 2017, 18:52
Got a lower from a guy a year or so ago could not get anything to fit. Did a little work on the mill, deepen the hole for the bolt catch plunger, deepen hole for buffer retainer stone the gap for bolt catch and use broach to open up mag well. Chased threads for buffer tube and barrel nut. Was worse than an 80% lower finished with a cordless drill and no vice to hold in place while drilling out pockets. Even had to open up the mag catch slot. Was like all their tooling had worn to point that when ran it's tool paths the undersized/worn tooling didn't open up anything to specifications or go quite deep enough. Off hand don't remember the brand other than it was one had never built on before but mated to upper fine and fire control group fit well.

Had an Anderson where the hole for buffer retainer was not deep enough but put the buffer retainer on grinder and took a little off its length. If some future owner happens to loose the buffer retainer and goes to LGS and grabs a milspec extra when puts it and spring in hole it will stand too tall to insert buffer. Not uncommon to have to file or stone a burr, chase some threads so if going to build more than one or two rifles will want to invest in some tools. The DoubleStar AR-15 Bolt Disassembly Tool is a great tool for working on and replacing extractors and springs. Totally unloads tension so removing and installing the roll pin is easy peasy. Seems like I have spent enough on tools over past decade to pay for two or three top tier AR's but being able to square upper then chase threads, have exact tool for barrel nut to go on torque wrench and all types of trigger jigs, etc add more and more accuracy as your able to bring all your parts into proper alignment. Wish I could let folks come in my shop and from vice to arbor press to every AR tool have ever needed and let them use would be better for the gun community, not cause mayhem as BATFE seems to think. A kitchen table build done with a universal AR armorors tool will run but won't be all it could be.