View Full Version : Any idea on this Canadian receiver with brit parts kit L1A1?

September 03, 2017, 10:39

"7.62 NATO; excellent bore, good stock, 21'' barrel, British surplus inch pattern parts built on a Canadian made receiver. Black pebble grain synthetic stock. Plain barrel. Complete with one 20 round magazine. Used, the metal finish shows some wear and handling, as does the stock. Mechanically fine.

Can not tell from the three photos, would this be a CAI build? Canadian made receiver? Is the receiver what makes their asking price $1695??

September 03, 2017, 10:47
It's just a Century thumbhole sporter that has had a different stock and pistol grip added. Most likely an Imbel receiver cut for an inch charging handle, but they also used Argentine receivers on some.

Also note the neutered muzzle. Way overpriced.

September 03, 2017, 11:05
Simpson Ltd is good people in my experience, but something like this is not their specialty.

September 03, 2017, 11:10
:rofl: Someone made a mistake and put a 1 before the 695.

September 03, 2017, 11:16
Way overpriced, by about a $1,000 ......

The "Made in Canada" stamp was Century using the law to their advantage. There are a couple theories, I support the theory that used a loophole in the newly coined NAFTA in early 1994 to skirt the import ban of 1989 by importing "Sporter" rifles from a country exempt from the ban. Before the Clinton Assault on Weapons Ban went into affect later that year.

Chances are it is an IMBEL receiver (don't believe any Argies were stamped "Made in Canada").

These were selling from $700 to $1,000 before the market went soft. There are a few on GunBroker.

September 03, 2017, 11:24
Here's an Argentine Fal they have:

September 03, 2017, 11:40
That's better. Still a little overpriced. It looks on my computer like all the serial numbers match. FMAP upper. It has the wrong rear sight on it

September 03, 2017, 12:05
The rear sight looks just like the one on my FMAP, but mine also has the tall open ear front sight with a tall post.

September 03, 2017, 13:24
The Argentine is a parts kit built on a post ban import S.A.C. Latta, S.C. receiver. Serial number: X018xx. The rear sight is incorrect.