PDA

View Full Version : Inch Receiver Availability

georgeg
September 02, 2017, 23:30
Are their any good inch receivers available now? I've had an inch kit for more than 20 years and maybe its time to do something with it.

Thorack
September 03, 2017, 06:42
Well,

DSA and Coonan have recently made inch receivers (Brit Cut), dont know if they do anymore. Entreprise did but is now out of business.

DSA and Coonan receivers recently made are comprises as neither are likely to work right out of the box and will require work by a competent gunsmith.

DSA and Enterprise used to contract out inch receivers (Aussie Cut) to LMT and ABNI respectively, those are commonly considered to be the best US made inch receivers. They are long out of production and bring a premium when offered for sale.

Imbel made receivers that accepted Inch mags and parts but were type III metric in appearance. These also bring a premium when offered for sale.

Currently for inch receivers everything is a compromise, either buy something made recently that will need gunsmith work or keep your eye out and pay a premium for something out of production.

Wish I had good news, but for inch receivers there is not. This is how I see it others will bring more light on the subject.

Thorack

gunplumber
September 03, 2017, 09:37
Check the reviews section.

I can't keep including re-machining these receivers into the cost of a build. I just haven't decided yet how much extra the additional work demands.

I have FAL kits. I'd trade for an L1A1 kit.

georgeg
September 03, 2017, 18:45
Thanks. You filled me in on some changes since I last followed this forum.

Well,

DSA and Coonan have recently made inch receivers (Brit Cut), dont know if they do anymore. Entreprise did but is now out of business.

DSA and Coonan receivers recently made are comprises as neither are likely to work right out of the box and will require work by a competent gunsmith.

DSA and Enterprise used to contract out inch receivers (Aussie Cut) to LMT and ABNI respectively, those are commonly considered to be the best US made inch receivers. They are long out of production and bring a premium when offered for sale.

Imbel made receivers that accepted Inch mags and parts but were type III metric in appearance. These also bring a premium when offered for sale.

Currently for inch receivers everything is a compromise, either buy something made recently that will need gunsmith work or keep your eye out and pay a premium for something out of production.

Wish I had good news, but for inch receivers there is not. This is how I see it others will bring more light on the subject.

Thorack

georgeg
September 03, 2017, 18:55
I have read your reviews of some of the options, particularly the review of the inch DSA receivers. Fixing one of those is way beyond my capabilities. Finding a good gunsmith might be a tad difficult since I live in CA. The last I heard, you weren't accepting commissions from CA for very good reasons. Trading kits is an interesting idea but I kinda had my heart set on a British rifle. I do have more metric mags than inch but still.... My wife has her heart set on our moving to NE in 4-5 years so maybe I can do a build (or commission one) then. Meantime I'll just keep checking the For Sale forum and see what pops up. Thanks.

Check the reviews section.

I can't keep including re-machining these receivers into the cost of a build. I just haven't decided yet how much extra the additional work demands.

I have FAL kits. I'd trade for an L1A1 kit.

Johnaski
September 04, 2017, 06:43
I am still at a loss as to why they would not want to put out a quality in-spec product. I think they'd rather you just buy one of their built guns near the $1700-$2500 mark rather than sell you a receiver to build your own. Only problem is that their own receivers and mags on their own guns seem out of spec?????

Companies that start doing this usually are on the downward slope of going out of business. Perhaps sales of FAL rifles worldwide has dropped off and the writing is on the wall.

falbuild
September 08, 2017, 01:15
Century is selling new US made L1A! receivers for $200 each. It's on their web site. No mention of any other details.

OLDMANPBK
September 08, 2017, 01:33
Century is selling new US made L1A! receivers for $200 each. It's on their web site. No mention of any other details.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=86189&stc=1&d=1504852296

gunplumber
September 08, 2017, 09:10
The last I heard, you weren't accepting commissions from CA for very good reasons.

I don't know where you'd have heard that. I work on CA guns all the time.

I won't SELL a firearm to CA because I refuse to ask CA DOJ permission to follow federal law on the TRANSFER. But CA is welcome to send guns for gunsmith & return.