PDA

View Full Version : .308 flash hider recommendations

lew
August 31, 2017, 11:55
What do you folks recommend for a flash hider to slap onto a .308 AR? Not interested in a brake, and this will be a placeholder until I get a suppressor. I'm looking at a Smith Vortex, but my experience with anything more than a Belgian combo device is limited, so I'm not quite sure what else is out there and what is good.

meltblown
August 31, 2017, 11:58
What suppressor? I have mine set up with a 3 prong Silencerco that the suppressor slips over with t quick disconnect. That way still have a FH without the sup on

lew
August 31, 2017, 12:42
Eventually, a Thunderbeast Ultra 7. I suppose I could get their brake/mount. Hadn't yet considered that...

Cornpone
September 01, 2017, 09:14
What do you folks recommend for a flash hider to slap onto a .308 AR? Not interested in a brake, and this will be a placeholder until I get a suppressor. I'm looking at a Smith Vortex, but my experience with anything more than a Belgian combo device is limited, so I'm not quite sure what else is out there and what is good.

The AAC 7.62MM Blackout 51T Flash Hider. One of the best and has integral threads for a suppressor. This one is under $100. usually in the low to mid $90. range. It works extremely well and is well made. Rainier Arms has them for sure but look around you may find it lower but I doubt it. They ship fast and have excellent CS.

AAC also makes one called the Brakeout which is a brake and flash suppressor in one that many Professionals use and consider the best.

Black River Tactical Covert Comp 7.62mm Fluted. $54.95 6 available.

It's a flash suppressor even though it says comp in the name. You'll see when you check it out. It looks like an A2 flash suppressor without any slots. I have one on a 5.56 AR and one on a 7.62 AR and they are well made and work extremely well.

Both of these are easy to install. There is no timing involved. You follow the instructions on the torque valve, twist it on and you're done.

hueyville
September 02, 2017, 07:26
AAC 51T Ratchet Mount Suppressor Adapter. Makes for a fine three prong flash hider and the AAC 762SDN or 762SDN-6 are both great muticaliber cans at fair price. Usually pay $79 to $89 new and find used as cheap as $50 fairly regularly. Have this "flash hider" on FAL's, M1a's, AR 15's in multiple cartridges and when get around to an AR 10 in 7.62 NATO will be only device consider. Have a stack of the AAC cans and right now have them mounted on an FAL, an M1a and two 6.8 AR 15's. Takes a half minute to move to another rifle with a 51T adapter.

bfoosh006
September 02, 2017, 07:34
Without trying to sound flippant... why not a USGI birdcage ?

They are cheap, and work good enough.... you could spend the saved money on ammo.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-6-8-flash-hider.html ... $15

Cornpone
September 02, 2017, 08:59
Without trying to sound flippant... why not a USGI birdcage ?

They are cheap, and work good enough.... you could spend the saved money on ammo.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-6-8-flash-hider.html ... $15

Indeed. It works very well and better than most other flash suppressors that cost more.

hueyville
September 02, 2017, 14:51
CDNN has a 30 caliber bird cage for $9.99 and a 30 claiber muzzle brake for $14.99. I have used this exact $15 muzzle brake on 6.8, 308 and .277, .284 and .30 caliber magnums with good results. Its my decide if the rifle needs a brake or just slap a range clearing device on the muzzle for cheap. Its actually not horrible for people to either side and is the best brake I have ever used for under $20 if only brake used that inexpensive. Have some custom made and tuned brakes that had over $250 i machine work and finish but they went on very special rifles. If you know which suppressor your going to buy I would go ahead and put the proper mount on the rifle for your can.

If still undecided would put something cheap on it. There are a dozen vendors selling the exact same brake that CDNN has in 223 and 30 caliber from $15 to $49. Have held the fifty dollar versions in my hand next to the fifteen dollar units and are exact same source manufacturer. Same with the ten dollar birdcage.

Bertellione
September 16, 2017, 02:28
Your thoughts on the Vortex are good if you want to totally eleminate flash. In my experience it is the best. I put them on all my rifles and have shot them in total darkness from 14.5" - 20" 5.56 to 16" 7.62 barrels. In my experience the only thing someone can see is a grain or two of powder going out the sides, no fire ball at all. The vortex can also be used with quick detach suppressor I'm not sure how well they work with a suppressor I don't have one.