PDA

View Full Version : Best tool for knurling op-rod guide?

Nathaniel01
August 31, 2017, 07:01
Need to knurl the op-rod boss on my Bula barrel, but don't have $150+ for a good hand knurling tool. How is everyone else knurling their op-rod boss?

ArtBanks
August 31, 2017, 07:14
I use a good sharp center punch and a hammer.
Been working fine that way for 50 years.
Just make a whole bunch of metalpecker spots.

yovinny
August 31, 2017, 07:21
Enco has or had a cheap inport hand knurling tool..
Mine is Indian made, came with 3 different knurl wheels and has proven very usefull over the years on stuff i couldent chuck in the lathe

hardass
August 31, 2017, 08:40
I use a good sharp center punch and a hammer.
Been working fine that way for 50 years.
Just make a whole bunch of metalpecker spots.

This works. I've done this a few times when needing to tighten up the guide

..btw...I don't believe anyone else on this forum has near the know how or collection of "home built" M14's as Art. :bow:

GIshooter
August 31, 2017, 09:38
I've done the punch and hammer method, knurling in the lathe, and a hand held tubing/pipe cutter.

Orlando8
August 31, 2017, 15:17
This is the one I bought, works very well.
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00227975

HD-Ghost
August 31, 2017, 16:36
I've used a chisel, thus cutting the barrel linear like the knurling tool. Use some Loktite, and you are good to go.

gunshack
September 01, 2017, 11:00
This is the one I bought, works very well.
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00227975

Beat me to it. I don't own one (well equipped for the lathe,) but I've used one before. They do work very well.

I've encountered many barrels that were pockmarked with a center punch, some neat and tidy, and some not so much. Regardless of aesthetics that system works well also.

Nathaniel01
September 01, 2017, 15:31
I used a small pipe cutter I had on hand, it worked very well. Thanks for the ideas!

01BIRDDOG
September 02, 2017, 09:24
I made one as shown in the old Marine Corps. M-14 NM manual TI-02648A-25/10B page 4. Could have used the prick punch method in a fraction of the time and just as good when finished. I remember i robbed a knurling tool i had to get the straight knurls used.

billdeserthills
September 02, 2017, 14:37
Enco has or had a cheap inport hand knurling tool..
Mine is Indian made, came with 3 different knurl wheels and has proven very usefull over the years on stuff i couldent chuck in the lathe

Unfortunately Enco has been absorbed by MSC,
I don't think they offer anything affordable, they do
sell import stuff, but at higher prices

Nathaniel01
September 15, 2017, 17:21
I used a small pipe cutter to displace enough metal to get a good bite for the op-rod guide. Looks like that was the last job for that pipe cutter though!

Edit:
Oops, already posted my results. Getting old ain't for sissies. I have got to start paying better attention.