PDA

View Full Version : Would Red Locktite work on Gas tube threads?

Bergoobob
June 17, 2002, 20:24
G1 gas tube threads are sloppy...I've expanded them with a tapered punch and they still seem sloppy.....Has anyone tried Red Locktite as a permanant fix ? Or would the heat of firing make it useless.........I am experienced in Silver Soldering and if I go that route is there any reason to shorten the tube like a STG58?....Thanks.........Bob

Snakeshot
June 17, 2002, 20:33
I've tried loctite and teflon tape. They are not effective.

Much better is to file flat the threaded end until you you get a decent fit. Soldering works quite well, but limits your flexibility, especially if you don't get it it lined up on the first try.

akman47
June 17, 2002, 20:45
Not sure of the color (I think it was red), but use Loctite 271. I guarantee you it will not come off (without a torch and tools) if you have clean threads and let it cure for at least 24 hours.

krallstar
June 17, 2002, 20:48
I had the same problem. If you turn in the tube till it stopped then turned it back out till the vent holes were at 8 and 4 . I had massive gas bleeding off around the threads. What i did was use a file on the threads till the tube would line up with the vent holes at 2 and 10. It cut the gas leak by atleast 90%. Took it to the range ,before i had to put the gas reg at 1 to make it cycle and eject and lock the bho. After this i brought the gas setting up to 5. Just make sure when you file that it does not fit in tight go a little further just a little you know so the tube moves back and forth fit in the retaining pin and give it a try. Worked out great for me:cool:

3doghouse
June 17, 2002, 22:04
IMHO, the difference in price between a new gas tube from Tapco and a tube of loctite are not worth the rig factor.

MickeyMouse
June 17, 2002, 22:21
Locktite is great stuff but it fails when subjected to heat.

Silver solder will certainly work. PIA though. I seriously doubt that soft solder would give any trouble and IS easier to remove.

New gas tube is best idea! If threads are poor, inside wear is likely. New tube has correct ID. Buy one.

Just my .02 worth.

Bergoobob
June 18, 2002, 04:53
Thanks guys........New gas tube wont help........gas block threads are sloppy................

cushe
June 18, 2002, 06:50
Had same thing,I used JP weld and it's work so far.Let it cure for 24 hrs.

TooTech
June 18, 2002, 19:39
Do it right with high-temp silver solder, same as the Austrians did on the STG-58.

Otherwise it's a point of failure just waiting for the wrong moment to let go.

If I managed it, then it's not that hard to do. Brownell's high-temp silver solder paste melts just fine if you use TWO propane torches. MAPP gas is nice but not necessary.