PDA

View Full Version : New Gen5 Glocks

gates
August 27, 2017, 12:13
Got to handle the new G5 19 and 17 this morning at the fun club, trigger feels better - Ghost like, ambi slide release - nice, flared mag well - meh, beveled the front of the slide - nice, new match bbl - don't know never got to shoot them, removed the finger grooves.

Over all, I don't see a big enough advance between the gen 3 and 4 to warrant replacing but fi I had a gen 1 0r 2 I probably would - then new guns are pretty darned nice.

VALMET
August 27, 2017, 13:13
I ccw one of two Glock 19s pretty regularly (Gen3 and Gen4) and shoot them both a lot. I was interested to see exactly what a Gen5 was going to be as IMO there isn't really anything left to improve upon save maybe the crappy finish they seem to have had lately. Finger grooves have never bothered me much but was open to the non-grooved stippling of the Gen5, then I saw the ambi slide-release and flared mag well, which kill it for me. Another lever which won't be used and a wider base which may assist one who competes but not for a ccw. My .02

ftierson
August 27, 2017, 13:34
I ccw one of two Glock 19s pretty regularly (Gen3 and Gen4) and shoot them both a lot. I was interested to see exactly what a Gen5 was going to be as IMO there isn't really anything left to improve upon save maybe the crappy finish they seem to have had lately. Finger grooves have never bothered me much but was open to the non-grooved stippling of the Gen5, then I saw the ambi slide-release and flared mag well, which kill it for me. Another lever which won't be used and a wider base which may assist one who competes but not for a ccw. My .02

Yup...

I carry a Gen 2 Glock 17.

None of the newer generations are better and some features are worse.

But you gotta keep the mouth-breathers happy with more features, whether used or not I guess. That's one of the few downsides of a saturated market with much competition for sales.

Forrest

Right Side Up
August 27, 2017, 13:53
I wonder if they addressed the erratic ejection (brass to face) that some of the 19's had?

Thorack
August 27, 2017, 18:54
Well,

Unless the trigger is a dramatic improvement, it will still just be a very reliable pistol with a lousy trigger.

Thorack

SPEEDGUNNER
August 28, 2017, 07:42
Any pictures? Is Glock going to refer to these as Gen 5 or MHS pistols?

Bakwa352
August 28, 2017, 07:45

They're Gen 5. Pics are released and popping up on all the gun sites at this point.

gunplumber
August 28, 2017, 07:53
What I'm seeing is - different finish, because they can't do tennifer here.
No more polygonal rifling, because that machine is in Austria.
mag well - meh -ok whatever
checkering - still way to coarse
Ambi slide stop - haven't decided, as I slingshot.
dropping finger grooves - they were only added to make it a "target pistol" for import points. US made don't need. I always ground them off anyway as my hands are bigger than the groove spacing.
Single pin locking block so 9mm only?

All in all, I think it's very incremental and the best feature is that there will be a bunch of people dumping their Gen 3s to buy one, so the price should drop and I can pick up some more.

Just looked at the one on my desk, it['s a 2 letter Gen 1. Didn't realize there was anything wrong with it. The only reason I've been buying Gen 3s is I'm playing with rail mounted lights.

Impala_Guy
August 28, 2017, 14:43
And I was pissed when they forced plastic sights on us with the Gen 3. I must have 5000+ rounds on my Gen 2 G17, and except for a little finish wear to the barrel hood, it looks like new. I'm embarrassed to say that my NIB Gen 3 G17 has become a SHTF only safe queen. Never thought that would happen with a commodity piece like a Glock. Switching production to the US and trying to fix what ain't broke or go cheap with the bore / surface finish, and thinking some stupid backstrap inserts would make up for it was a really dumb move. The last 9mm I bought was a new CZ75, which has NO manufacturing shortcuts at all, a better trigger, drops magazines freely, and only cost $50 more.

brunop
September 02, 2017, 14:22
All in all, I think it's very incremental and the best feature is that there will be a bunch of people dumping their Gen 3s to buy one, so the price should drop and I can pick up some more.

This.

HibikiR
September 02, 2017, 22:59

The pics I've seen of the Gen5s show that they lack the "MHS" rollmark, the manual safety, and probably temporarily the FDE coloration consistent with their MHS submission.

Still wonder if Glock is going to offer the MHS to the Aussies. Last I heard the Aussies were looking to join the UK and NZ in going Glock, but were holding out for a manual safety.

wanneroo
September 03, 2017, 17:59
That's nice of Glock to make some changes, but I don't plan on running out to buy one. I'm over the whole Glock thing. Yes it's reliable, simple and it works but I don't enjoy shooting them. I shot the Gen 3 17 and 19 a lot at work and thought I'd get a Gen 4 17, but I've never been completely happy with it. Don't like the trigger, grip, mag well, slide release, barrel or sights. Yes I was looking at it thinking I will change all that with aftermarket parts but by the time you do, you could buy another pistol for it, which I did, a Walther PPQ 5 inch.

Falfan2017
September 03, 2017, 19:08
Want to know how to improve your glock? Easy go buy a sig.

ftierson
September 03, 2017, 19:19
Want to know how to improve your glock? Easy go buy a sig.

But don't drop it...

Forrest

801_Tactical
September 03, 2017, 22:46
But don't drop it...

Forrest

Yeah, my new Sig drop-a-matic is now a safe queen until I get the "Optional", "unnessary" "Upgrade."

chino*74
September 03, 2017, 23:53
Meh, I will stick to my Gen 3 Model 27, skater tape on the grip & night sights...that little 3 finger pistol I can carry concealed all day, even in 110 degrees in a Desantis Supertuck..with a T shirt only...works for me.

Falfan2017
September 04, 2017, 08:29
But don't drop it...

Forrest

I'm not talking about the plastic fantastic 320. I like the p228/p226 239 da/sa lineup

satisfief
September 08, 2017, 01:12
Guy that asked about erratic ejection in Gen 4s, I believe that was solved 2 years into the release of the Gen4s. My early Gen4s had that problem, and had the infamous ~17-18lb RSAs.

I'll be the only guy on the planet not being paid by glock to openly admit I'm excited as hell for the Gen5.

....When they release the 34.

For a duty pistol, the changes aren't enough to warrant replacement, unless you're a southpaw and really want to drop the slide via lever.

Non poly rifling, who the hell uses lead or coated on duty anyway?

Magwell, I mean, I guess. Not being a cop and only have military service in my past I stick with the whole "pistol is used when the situation is already out of control" adage.

Now for competition, these upgrades are HUGE!

I'll shoot my coated bullets without a care or a worry. Maybe even load lead for practice to save some bucks!

That magwell. If you blow a single reload in a match, and lose that match by a second or so, you'll know how big of a deal it is for glock to finally shape the ******* magwell correctly.

Right Side Up
September 08, 2017, 03:01
I shoot cast boolits in my Gen 4 with zero problem ,as do a lot of others.

What I want is lowered ejection port to stop the brass to face problem.

tac-40
September 08, 2017, 16:00
As a 20+ year user of Glocks I was greatly disappointed with the Gen 5. The trigger is still mushy and not crisp at all. I do like the removal of the finger groove - same problem as GP, and the ambi mag release. Don't like the magwell - looks like it hooks back in on the edge and the notch on the front grip so the mag can be pried out if needed (most of the time). I like very coarse checkering/stippleing so that is no issue.

My main disappointment comes from the trigger. S&W completely redesigned their Mod 2,0 triggers to make them completely mechanical interfaces, not sliding. They got rid of that wedge that pushed the sear to a direct link that moves the sear. Glock kept the same cruciform shape so it still slides to function.

Not going to toss all of my old Glocks in the bin an run out and buy a G5. Just don't see any advantage to doing that.