PDA

View Full Version : switching front ends

NUTS
June 17, 2002, 19:18
I have an unfired SAR4800 and I am in the market for another one. Here comes a stupid question, have mercy:D

When switching complete barreled front ends, is it as easy as just swapping them out? I checked the FAQ's and I couldn't find anything related to it. There are some complete front ends from DSA that I am interested in. I think my SAR is a bit long.

Snakeshot
June 17, 2002, 20:12
You mean with the lower?

If so, not a problem.

NUTS
June 17, 2002, 20:54
yeah, that's what I meant.. thanks.. a modular rifle. cool.

Snakeshot
June 17, 2002, 20:59
Ooops, fergot to mention, sight heights will be different.
Inch front and rear are tall, metric are shorter.
Easily remedied by swapping rear parts to match.

NUTS
June 17, 2002, 21:47
OK, since my SAR is a metric, then the front ends from DSA would match, right? It's my understanding that the DSA front ends are metric and so is my SAR4800.

Is that correct?

3doghouse
June 17, 2002, 21:56
Nuts,

Any "front end" DSA or otherwise needs to be mounted on an upper receiver. This requires considerable work. The barrel has to be timed and headspaced.

If you have several upper receivers in different barrel configurations, and matching bolts, then yes, they could easily be swapped in very little time.

NUTS
June 17, 2002, 23:47
I am an idiot..

While looking through the DSA site I seemed to "overlook" the fact that the front ends didn't come with the upper receiver. DUH
OK, now I understand that if I buy a front end, I will need an upper receiver and then it will need to be sent to DSA or gunplumber to get the barrel timed and headspaced. More than likely I will be buying both the upper receiver and front end from DSA so I guess I will have them do the timing and headspacing. After that, then it will be ready to switch with my 4800.

I think I got it now..

Thanks again.

LarryLove
June 18, 2002, 07:46
Originally posted by NUTS

More than likely I will be buying both the upper receiver and front end from DSA so I guess I will have them do the timing and headspacing. After that, then it will be ready to switch with my 4800.

Why not go just a bit further and assemble another lower receiver assembly for your new upper while you're at it? It wouldn't cost a whole heck of a lot more. Why have 1.5 rifles when you can have 2.0? :cool:

3doghouse
June 18, 2002, 11:42
Larry is right.

By the time you have another upper assembled you might as well just go with the total rifle build.

You will have invested 80 -90% of the cost of an entire rifle, so why hassle with swapping out the lower?

withergyld
June 18, 2002, 15:30
If the Front end has a Us barrel, Handguard, Muzzel Brake and gas piston, along with a DSA Reciever, you could add a complete lower and then replace two other parts and have a legal complete rifle. a FSE h/t/s is $50 plus shipping for example and would count as three more parts.

MichonRAFW
June 18, 2002, 15:57
If you're going to buy both the front end and the receiver from DSA make sure to buy the reciever first or they wont sell it to you. Something about them being responsible for a manufacturing tax or something that they're worried about. It sounds rediculous but it has happened to quite a few people.
Ryan