PDA

View Full Version : anybody have an AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmore?

Cava3r4
August 25, 2017, 13:33
anybody have an AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmore?
if so..
How much did it cost?
what brand is it?

I was looking at palmento state armory and they have a lower ar 10 for $159
Midway has a 6.5 creedmore upper for about $300.
I"m guessing you would use standard .308 magazines.

hueyville
August 25, 2017, 21:14
Standard 308 mags and will shoot based on quality of Midway barrel and monkey that assembled it. I have had good luck with Midway stuff. Will need a $10 trigger spring kit to get all it will give. Yours posted in least expensive 6.5 have seen and prices range up past $3,000 if want to shoot a snakes eye out at 500 yards.

M90A1
August 26, 2017, 08:26
if so..
How much did it cost?
what brand is it?

Make sure the upper and lower you mention are compatible. PSA uses some oddball AR-10 stuff.

the gman
August 26, 2017, 08:57
if so..
How much did it cost?
what brand is it?

Do you have a link to the 6.5 Creedmore upper for $300 on Midway? My search fu must be weak as I can't find it. :( One thing to bear in mind is that to achieve optimum performance in the large frame AR calibers like 6.5 Creedmoor usually requires a high pressure bolt which has a reduced diameter firing pin hole and a correspondingly smaller firing pin. This reduces the likelihood of pierced primers under the kind of bolt thrust imparted by the higher performance rounds.

brunop
August 26, 2017, 09:08
I do.

I have the Aero lower/upper combo deal, with a Proof barrel with the +2 gas tube (reliability) and the JP bolt that the gman mentioned.

It cost significantly more than a normal AR, but I was trying to build a rifle equal (or near it) to the accuracy potential of the 6.5 Creedmoor. You may know this already, but there is no "standard" or "spec" for the AR-10 platform (I said it...) like there is for the AR-15. Noveske and others use the Armalite (original AR-10) spec, and JP, Aero, Proof, others use the competing DPMS spec.

I went with matching Aero stuff so I didn't have any headaches. It worked perfectly.

brunop
August 26, 2017, 09:15
Do you have a link to the 6.5 Creedmore upper for $300 on Midway?

I think it's PSA?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa10-18-mid-length-stainless-steel-308-win-1-10-upper-w-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

M90A1
August 26, 2017, 09:22
I think it's PSA?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa10-18-mid-length-stainless-steel-308-win-1-10-upper-w-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

Umm, that's .308. But, I couldn't find the Midway 6.5 either.

brunop
August 26, 2017, 09:27
Ha - yeah.

Thanks.

Bug Tussell
August 26, 2017, 10:46
Why not a .243?

I always considered the .243 to be the poor man's magnum.

brunop
August 26, 2017, 11:49
I think .243 is in vogue (again) with some ELD shooters. And Hornady is making the 6 Creedmoor now, so that tells you that .243 works great - which you already knew.

I didn't want .243 because I wanted 'match' ammo without reloading, and back then, Hornady was selling 6.5 Creedmoor for less than $1/round - which was cheaper than FCC GMM .308 Match.

.243 is also known as a barrel burner. That can be fixed to a degree by loading down, but then it's not performing like .243. In the end, bullet design and high BC is the most important. The 6.5 had - and still has - lots of bullet designs to push it way, way out there: Berger VLDs, Lapua, tons of Sierra and Hornady and whomever else I can't think of.

the gman
August 26, 2017, 12:27
I think it's PSA?

Nada, dat dere be a .308. :D OP specifically mentions a 6.5 Creed. BTW, nice choice for your build but boy howdy, that was spendy. Proof undoubtedly make good barrels but they are really proud of them... :wink:

I'm thinking of having my buddy run me up a Creed barrel on a Shilen blank cuz I get dealer pricing on Shilen stuff. I can get it the profile I want, with the rifling I want and the gas port location I want for a lot less money than the factory stuff out there. I'd do the same as you with the +2 gas port location with the Krieger extended gas tube. I have a DPMS pattern lower marked for 6.5 Creedmore from when CDNN were blowing them out for $99 so the rifle would be accurately chambered and in the same deal, I snagged a few DPMS uppers so no issues with compatibility. Ah, so many irons in the fire... :facepalm::facepalm::beer:

hueyville
August 30, 2017, 12:31
If didn't have the 6XC AR 10's might consider another go round with 6.5 after shooting the bolt rifle hooked friend up with. As G-man said "so many irons in the fire".

bfoosh006
September 02, 2017, 22:43
..........will shoot based on quality of Midway barrel and monkey that assembled it. I have had good luck with Midway stuff. Will need a $10 trigger spring kit to get all it will give.....

That is a lot truth , right there.

The barrel quality would most likely make you try a lot of different ammo, just to find 1 or 2 factory rounds it likes.... and after all that cost in ammo... you could have bought a better barrel.

And fired smaller groups with numerous different ammo brands.

And a better trigger won't help a generic inexpensive barrel shoot smaller groups.

hueyville
September 03, 2017, 12:17
Plan on buying one of the Palmetto AR 10's in 308 soon when hit the $460 to $560 mark, over committed funds to some othe projects for moment Already scored a good heavy profile, fluted and melonite treated barrel plus a binary trigger. Going to swap barrel, put in the binary and add a bipod. Get it all tweaked and happy, add a few beta mags, already have a dozen 25 round mags, a dozen 30 rounders and loozing for more of each. Will be for when the moat has been drained, wall is breached and castle gate is starting to give. Run it till it starts cooking off and swap to something else while it cools and wife stuffs magazines if not shooting herself.

I buy bolt carrier groups all the time on the cheap and then swap in quality bolt and let supplied become the spare. Buy rifles and swap barrel out of the box and actually bought some Smith M&P 15's so cheap parted them out for builds. Took new rifles out of box and tore down to base components or slapped trigger job on lower and rebuilt the upper. If rifle is cheap enough can risk buying and expect a barrel swap knowing you will have a spare in the original.