PDA

View Full Version : l1a1 trigger issues

jlo82585
August 24, 2017, 12:35
finally made it out to do some testing with the trigger and the trigger scale confirmed my suspicions on this being the worst trigger I have ever felt. the pull weights were all within 2-3lbs of each other ranging from 18-21lbs! that is totally unacceptable! I feel with a trigger pull that bad its going to go beyond polishing the trigger but the only upgrade kits I can find for my L1a1 are for metric receivers. seeing as how everything is inch pattern on mine (except the mag. for some reason) I am not sure if I can just swap out the trigger parts. Do I need to buy a metric trigger housing to install a decent trigger kit into my l1a1? if so am I going to run into any compatibility problems in doing this? if needed its an EMBEL upper receiver, aussie S/N on it and a british bolt with the sand cuts. Also im planning to install the DSA rail top cover since my rear sight is a bit loose and im not a fan of only having one aperture, what size scope should I be looking at so that I can clear the carry handle and still not get scope kissed? thanks.

4markk
August 24, 2017, 13:15
First thing is to verify that everything is proper. Do you have all inch parts or a mix of inch and metric?

Post pic of both sides of the hammer, trigger and sear.

The other problem is you may have a mix of inch and metric pins. Do you have a good set of calipers to measure the diameter of the pin shafts?

Lastly, are the trigger and sear springs mixed up?

That's where I'd start before buying some "trigger upgrade kit".

jlo82585
August 24, 2017, 13:52
First thing is to verify that everything is proper. Do you have all inch parts or a mix of inch and metric?

Post pic of both sides of the hammer, trigger and sear.

The other problem is you may have a mix of inch and metric pins. Do you have a good set of calipers to measure the diameter of the pin shafts?

Lastly, are the trigger and sear springs mixed up?

That's where I'd start before buying some "trigger upgrade kit".

copy, I will try to get her torn down this weekend and get some pics of it.

y18376
August 26, 2017, 00:28
finally made it out to do some testing with the trigger and the trigger scale confirmed my suspicions on this being the worst trigger I have ever felt. the pull weights were all within 2-3lbs of each other ranging from 18-21lbs! that is totally unacceptable! I feel with a trigger pull that bad its going to go beyond polishing the trigger but the only upgrade kits I can find for my L1a1 are for metric receivers. seeing as how everything is inch pattern on mine (except the mag. for some reason) I am not sure if I can just swap out the trigger parts. Do I need to buy a metric trigger housing to install a decent trigger kit into my l1a1? if so am I going to run into any compatibility problems in doing this? if needed its an EMBEL upper receiver, aussie S/N on it and a british bolt with the sand cuts. Also im planning to install the DSA rail top cover since my rear sight is a bit loose and im not a fan of only having one aperture, what size scope should I be looking at so that I can clear the carry handle and still not get scope kissed? thanks.

The L1 has a heavy trigger from standard anyway. You could try a hammer spring from an R1, that will soften the trigger slightly. You could try chucking the L1 hammer spring in a lathe and drill out the back of he Housing at 2mm or 2.5mm then wash the gunk out of the housing then try again, that way you will always have a way to clean and lube the Hammer spring assy. ;)

gunplumber
August 26, 2017, 08:11
The L1A1 sear has a sharp positive rake, but nowhere near the 18-21 pounds you report.

Now if you were at 10-12 pounds and wanted to drop it to 7-8, change the rake of the sear nose to .5 degrees positive of neutral and reduce the hammer notch to .022" min.

Check all your springs and plungers for binding. Make sure you have clean rotation of the sleeve around the trigger axle. Wood or plastic grip?
Modified stud on lower?

Is this a converted CAI thumbhole with their incorrect trigger spring made to function with the grip missing stud?

jlo82585
August 26, 2017, 11:15
well i started taking it apart and immediately saw the problem, the trigger return plunger is slightly bent which is making it bind in the grip hole, is the trigger plunger the same across FAL rifles or do I have to find a inch pattern one?

Arby
August 26, 2017, 14:03
well i started taking it apart and immediately saw the problem, the trigger return plunger is slightly bent which is making it bind in the grip hole, is the trigger plunger the same across FAL rifles or do I have to find a inch pattern one?

You need an inch plunger. The metric one is different.

pl521
August 26, 2017, 14:19
There is a L1A1 trigger spring/plunger in the marketplace, item #4. May want to check if available.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=418065