PDA

View Full Version : FAL drum magazine

R4 fan
June 17, 2002, 14:22
Went to a gun show in PA this past weekend, and saw a FAL drum converted from a MG15 saddle magazine. I believe it was called the "Viking-70" and it held around 70 rounds of ammo. It was a bit pricey ($1600), but then again this is a specialty-type item. Anyone know how reliable these things are? Know anyone who has one or shot one?

fubar
June 17, 2002, 14:31
I think for it to to be a legal pre-ban mag it must still fit and function in the MG15, even if it's converted for use in a FAL. If it can't be used in the MG15 after conversion IIRC it's considered a post ban hi-cap. I think (don't quote me) the MG15 was beltfed anyway, so I can't see how it'd work in a FAL w/o a lot of mods and still be a pre-ban hi-cap...

Dunsel
June 17, 2002, 14:46
A bit pricy isn't quite the word.
Who needs it.
D

kev
June 17, 2002, 17:22
That's Dennis Todd's creation. They supposedly work, tho I'm not sure of the legal loophole he operates in with those drums. I'm not sure he still makes them; they may be left-overs from before the word came down that conversions weren't being allowed. I remember seeing them at Knob Creek several years ago. The MG15 was drum fed, not belt. Original un-converted drums run from $3-500 each, but that's still quite a climb to $1600 for an item as generally useless as a FAL drum. (actually, I believe they have interchangeable towers and can feed other .308's as well, like the HK) One thing that adds to the cost: the drum can't be loader without a loading tool which also winds the drum.

eodinert
June 17, 2002, 18:16
If it was made before the ban, it would be OK, but it would be awefully hard to tell the difference.

-doug

FALbert
June 17, 2002, 20:21
Think of how many 20 rounders you can get, plus some more receivers and parts kits.

Blag
June 17, 2002, 20:52
birdman had one for sale for $1200. Maybe it's still available. He included some comments on the legality.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15630

VoceNoctum
June 17, 2002, 21:46
The Armalite mags must still work in the original gun, but the Oly Arms mags don't have to. The difference seems to be that Armalite replaces the shell of the mag, whereas Oly keeps everything from the mag, but modifies it.

I think the important thing is whether you're modifying the body or replacing it entirely.

R4 fan
June 18, 2002, 00:32
Dennis Todd, that's his name. I had a mental block there for a second. :rolleyes: I talked to Dennis for a bit at the show. This was apparantly a joint venture where Dennis supplied the drum mags, and another guy did all the work. He did show me the loader (huge!) and the different feed towers. If it wasn't for the huge loader, I would definately get one. Kinda sucks that you just can't hand load it. I think I'll save my money for all the other FAL stuff I need instead. :D

pmf
June 18, 2002, 07:09
$1600 for a 70 round drum ... Christ, what idiot would buy that? I rarely use the 75 round Chinese AK drum I have that cost $120. And that thing works pretty well.

For $1600, you can get a top of the line DSA and 4 20 round mags. I know what I'd go for.

Or save up and buy a machine gun.

R4 fan
June 18, 2002, 10:53
Originally posted by: pmf
$1600 for a 70 round drum ... Christ, what idiot would buy that? I rarely use the 75 round Chinese AK drum I have that cost $120. And that thing works pretty well.

Well, I'd be the idiot. ;) Even though it has a high price tag, these cannot be made any more. I'd like to see the price a LOT lower, but then again you can't get these anywhere else.

The biggest thing that turns me off about this drum is that it has to be loaded with a big loading tool. Without the tool, the mag is worthless. The second thing is that I'd probably never use it, and it would just become an expensive paperweight. If had some money burning a hole in my pocket, maybe. But there is still a ton of other FAL stuff I need first. :D

pmf
June 18, 2002, 15:43
High cap mags can't be made (at least for our market) anymore. Hell, if you want to speculate on something becoming more valuable, buy $1600 worth of decent grade AK, FAL and G3 mags. All can be had for $10 or less. In 15 years will they be worth $30? I could see it. Lots more easily than a 70 round drum being worth $4800.

Yeah, a drum for an FAL would be cool, but I can think of so many things I'd spend the money on before that. Maybe I'll pick one up when I win the lottery.

FALPhil
June 18, 2002, 15:43
Here's one with a G3 tower:
http://www.blackrivermilitaria.com/belts/g3~mg15~drum.jpg

The drums are all preban. The 'adapter', or tower allows it to be used on different guns. The adapter is just that. It is not a feeding device. The drum can be used on an MG 15 by removing the adapter and inverting for installation.