PDA

View Full Version : is this upper worth it?

fnogger
August 15, 2017, 17:58
So... I have money now to start buying parts to finish of my Glock mag AR-9.

Also, I may have someone wanting to buy my 20ga O/U, so I may not need to scrimp and save and buy over time.

The uppers I'm trying to choose between - and I keep waffling.

1) Joe Bob's Spartan w/ side charging and LRBHO for Glock mags. $240ish.

2) The folks at aimsurplus have a Anderson slick side upper, no dust cover, just a shell deflector. $50 w/ shipping.

The only thing I'm not sure on with the Anderson upper (or any other bog standard AR upper) is the M4 feed ramps - don't know if this has potential to cause issues with a mag that feeds in a single stack instead of alternating left and right.

Waffle waffle.

I like the idea of left side charging like our beloved FAL. I like the idea of LRBHO.

But I'm also OK with living without.

Waffle waffle.

Suggestions, input, feedback, etc. appreciated.

(ordering barrel and hand guards tomorrow.... just need the upper and a bolt. And I've already got the bolt picked out - Spinta. )

CG&L
August 15, 2017, 18:49
The feed ramps on an AR upper are really light and are only a potential problem with pointy rifle bullets and no ramps cut in the barrel extension.

A 9mm isn't pointed and feeds from the center of the mag. The bullet would never hit the ramps as they're on the right and left side, not in the center

fnogger
August 15, 2017, 18:55
The feed ramps on an AR upper are really light and are only a potential problem with pointy rifle bullets and no ramps cut in the barrel extension.

A 9mm isn't pointed and feeds from the center of the mag. The bullet would never hit the ramps as they're on the right and left side, not in the center

Kinda what I thought, but then I thought about the feed ramps on the FAL, and I could see how something coming in straight vs. from a side could cause issues. Thanks for clarifying.

hueyville
August 16, 2017, 08:29
CDNN has SIG forward assist uppers for $57. Been using a lot of the SIG uppers lately. Take less effort to get squared and true. Any trouble with feed ramps and sure W.E.G. will gladly take his Dremel tool to them. Never been able to wrap my mind around a 9mm AR with so many dedicated 9mm sub guns out there designed ground up around 9mm. Good friend recently went all in on 9mm SBR and can. After long wait, $400 in stamps, took it out half dozen times and sold. Said his Hi Power did same thing and fit in back pocket or waistband. Did say was lot of fun with subsonic and super cheap to shoot since doesn't reload but didn't quite fit role he intended. Not bashing the concept or folks that build them, just if building an AR I want horsepower of a rifle cartridge except for wife's 5.7×28's but thats a special circumstance. Could possinly see a 40 cal or 10mm making major power factor and considered building a 40 that used SIG mags. Anyone done a 357 SIG AR? Something about a rifle that falls in minor power factor for pistols seems counterintuitive unless it's built as a toy. Toys are cool even if not 100% logical.

fnogger
August 16, 2017, 10:32
CDNN has SIG forward assist uppers for $57. Been using a lot of the SIG uppers lately. Take less effort to get squared and true. Any trouble with feed ramps and sure W.E.G. will gladly take his Dremel tool to them. Never been able to wrap my mind around a 9mm AR with so many dedicated 9mm sub guns out there designed ground up around 9mm. Good friend recently went all in on 9mm SBR and can. After long wait, $400 in stamps, took it out half dozen times and sold. Said his Hi Power did same thing and fit in back pocket or waistband. Did say was lot of fun with subsonic and super cheap to shoot since doesn't reload but didn't quite fit role he intended. Not bashing the concept or folks that build them, just if building an AR I want horsepower of a rifle cartridge except for wife's 5.7×28's but thats a special circumstance. Could possinly see a 40 cal or 10mm making major power factor and considered building a 40 that used SIG mags. Anyone done a 357 SIG AR? Something about a rifle that falls in minor power factor for pistols seems counterintuitive unless it's built as a toy. Toys are cool even if not 100% logical.

I have read build reports on arf about both 357Sig ARs and 22TCM ...

hueyville
August 16, 2017, 16:03
If brass was plentiful for some real horse power rimless or rebated rim pistol rounds could see a seven to ten inch pistol cartridge SBR/pistol AR being quite the stucture clearing tool but still, putting a shorter pistol round and magazine in a standard AR 15 mag well seems like waste of real estate to me. Like the development of AR 10 for 308 and other mid length rifle cartidges and now even longer actions for 30-06 and 300 Win Mag and even 338 Mags, someone needs to go the other way and set a standard for an "AR 5" length receiver group. Would you build an AR 10 in 5.56 or 500 S&W? Use same buffers, triggers, furniture and other parts but go ahead and shrink the length of the magazine well to where it accommodates 22 LR, 380, 9mm then basically all pistol cartidges up to 500 magnum. I would be at the front of the line to get a kit for 9mm×29 Win, 357 Auto Mag, 10mm, 10mm Magnum, 460 Rowland, or even 30 Carbine.

Lop about an inch or two off the magwell section of an AR receiver designed with inserts to easily convert to pistol magazine design of choice and I would get interested. First I would try to find some existing stick magazine could put 9×29 Winchester or 10mm Magnum rounds in and lengthen it if not already long enough to hold about 40 rounds. Then locate about 25,000 cases, fire up lead furnace and cast up 100,000 gas check lead bullets and order a Dillon 650 factory setup with case feed and bullet feeder, tweak my "AR 5" with a binary trigger and weld the can on so no worries about it shooting loose. But shorten up the action, convince some ammo maker to dump enough 9×29 or 10mm Mag ammo on market and call it good. 9mm or 10 mm cast or copper plated cast from supplier like Berrys then bullet traps at work would need emptying constantly and would never get all the brass off the floor.

Give me a 180 to 200 grain bullet in straight wall pistol cartidge running 1,500 to 1,700 fps and would likely change my tune quickly but 9mm whether call it 9×19 Parabellum, 9mm Luger or 9mm NATO is a backup pistol round (my Belgian, Canadian and other Hi Powers gain their cool factor from classic design and manufacturing, not cartridge chosen) and totally ho-hum as a rifle cartidge thus just the idea is like driving a 1970 Plymouth Barracuda with an in-line six cylinder and three on the tree. Looks cool going down the road till step on accelerator or open the hood. Hoss it up to a 426 Hemi with four speed aka 9×29 Mag/10mm Mag and squeeze it down in length a tad for turning corners or manuvering in cab of truck and I am building half a dozen. Maybe just need to get a barrel chambered and start scrounging brass, errrr....

fnogger
August 18, 2017, 09:03
Give me a 180 to 200 grain bullet in straight wall pistol cartidge running 1,500 to 1,700 fps and would likely change my tune quickly but 9mm whether call it 9×19 Parabellum, 9mm Luger or 9mm NATO is a backup pistol round (my Belgian, Canadian and other Hi Powers gain their cool factor from classic design and manufacturing, not cartridge chosen) and totally ho-hum as a rifle cartidge thus just the idea is like driving a 1970 Plymouth Barracuda with an in-line six cylinder and three on the tree. Looks cool going down the road till step on accelerator or open the hood. Hoss it up to a 426 Hemi with four speed aka 9×29 Mag/10mm Mag and squeeze it down in length a tad for turning corners or manuvering in cab of truck and I am building half a dozen. Maybe just need to get a barrel chambered and start scrounging brass, errrr....

QC10 makes a "large" Glock mag AR setup - for 10mm or 45acp.

FWIW to finish off this thread, I went with the inexpensive slick side upper... $200 difference I just couldn't see it, $200 just about covers cost of bolt and barrel.