PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else have a fondness for the Norinco 1911s?

squid8286
August 14, 2017, 08:33
Anybody else here have any experience with these? I went from thinking "Who would buy a Chinese piece of shit like a Norinco?" to picking up four of the things over the last twenty years. They range in appearance from rough to almost as nice as a Colt. The roughest one I refer to as the Angry Beaver Gun because it looks like the slide and frame were machined out with a VERY dull cutter inside. However, it has never malfunctioned in a couple of thousand rounds. Two of the four had generous headspace. I replaced the barrels with Colt barrels. Problem solved. Three of them had undersized firing pin retaining plates, which allowed the extractor to clock and occasionally kept the slide from going fully into battery. I fit oversized plates and they now run like sewing machines.

Invictus77
August 14, 2017, 09:05
As much as it pains me to say this as my blood runs Colt blue, my neighbor has one and I have seen him shoot hundreds if not thousands of rounds through it without a hiccup. It is certainly not the best in fit & finish, but the accuracy & reliability are both very good.

fnogger
August 14, 2017, 10:09
Yup. They were a deal.

New equivalent is the Rock Island/Armsor offering.

squid8286
August 14, 2017, 11:53
I wish I had a tractor-trailer full of them. I believe I could make some serious $$!

I do love my Colts as well, and it seems odd that a decent 1911 would have come from China. But they are great pistols.

I have never owned a Rock Island, but I understand they are very nice. I think I read where the frames on the RIs are cast, where the Norincos are forged, if that really makes a difference anymore.

gw104
August 14, 2017, 14:32
They are the tanks of the 1911 platform, lol.

skinnydash
August 15, 2017, 20:14
Had one since before the ban.

Funny how I got it...A friend and I went to a gun show and he bought it. We get out to the parking lot and his wife called. He fessed up to buying something and I guess she said take it back. I went back the next day and bought it.

Like Squid says, the inside of the slide looks like a dull cutter was used, but the rest of it is pretty nice. The only things I've replaced have been the recoil spring years ago, the mag catch this year and added some Colt grips with the gold medallion. Was using it with .22 conver kit and mags wouldn't stay in any more. .45 mags wouldn't stay in either.

SPEEDGUNNER
August 15, 2017, 21:28
Owned a few, regret selling them all. The most underrated 1911 ever made.

pierre
August 16, 2017, 09:33
I like mine just fine. The slot for the rear sight seems slightly angled, but the weapon puts 'em where it's pointed and eats everything it's fed. My only change to it was esthetic; replacing the plastic grips with walnut ones.

Bwana John
August 16, 2017, 21:00
"Model of the 1911"

Made from work hardened British railroad steel rails is the story I heard.

I got one to practice gun-smithin on.

squid8286
August 17, 2017, 00:31
After figuring out that most all of my failures to go fully-into-battery problems were due to issues with the extractor and the firing pin retaining plate, I now realize that I have sold off a decent number of 1911s over the years that only had a very minor problem. I have always loved the 1911, but I had about given up on them. The Norincos have taught me a pretty good bit about the pistol. I have always heard gunsmiths that work on the 1911 say something to the effect that "most problems can be traced to bad magazines or issues with the extractor." I have always used decent magazines. It was almost ALWAYS the extractor (in my case.)

squid8286
August 17, 2017, 00:38
[QUOTE=skinnydash
The only things I've replaced have been the recoil spring years ago, the mag catch this year and added some Colt grips with the gold medallion. Was using it with .22 conver kit and mags wouldn't stay in any more. .45 mags wouldn't stay in either.[/QUOTE]

Did replacing the mag catch solve the issue of mags dropping from it?

skinnydash
August 19, 2017, 19:56
Squid, it sure did! Got it through Brownells.

squid8286
August 20, 2017, 11:50
Squid, it sure did! Got it through Brownells.

Hope it gives you a lot of trouble-free service from here on out!

Thunderin300
August 21, 2017, 13:15
I love mine. It just got a work over by APW Cogan last year. Lots of old school NOS King's parts. Kinda Pachmahyr Combat Specialesqe, but different.

squid8286
August 21, 2017, 23:13
I love mine. It just got a work over by APW Cogan last year. Lots of old school NOS King's parts. Kinda Pachmahyr Combat Specialesqe, but different.

Got any pics?

Thunderin300
August 22, 2017, 13:36
Since photo bucket is no longer an option I'll have to figure something out and get some pics up