PDA

View Full Version : New purchase: S&W 38-44 Outdoorsman with gold box, insert and steel screwdriver

FUUN063
August 13, 2017, 15:35
A buddy that I always trade around with allowed a trade. I ended up with a very nice, minty Smith and Wesson 38-44 Outdoorsman with an S serial number that has the original gold box, paper instruction insert and I already had the blued steel, knurled original screwdriver. A nice addition, I'd say. Not much of a turn line on the cylinder. A pretty hard to find N frame revolver in superb condition. No pics as I just got it and the Photobucket is screwy right now. But, trust me to say that I like it a lot.

Leland

Bawana jim
August 13, 2017, 15:43
Love that N frame Smith..

bulletslap
August 13, 2017, 16:14
A great find !

Retired Bum
August 13, 2017, 18:10
With an S prefix to the serial number your Outdoorsman should be early post war manufacture.

A co worker at the federal prison offered me a pre war 38/44 Outdoorsman that was made in 1937. It had the small adjustable rear sight and the early style Magna grips with medallions. All matching numbers and in about 80 percent condition. It had belonged to his father and it could be mine for only $500. I bought it and still own it to this day.

It has the proverbial "glass rod" single action trigger and a very smooth double action trigger pull. I seem to recall that this revolver sold new back in 1937 for around the fifty dollar mark.

I just had to mount this 38/44 in my Ransom Rest for an accuracy test. Shot it with the Winchester +P 158 grain LSWCHP "FBI load" which was the closest round I had to the old original 38/44 factory load. It put twelve rounds into 1.1 inches center to center at 25 yards. I worked up a hand load using the Lyman #358477 150 grain SWC and Winchester #231 powder. It chrono'd at 1140 fps which is quite close to the original factory spec's.

S&W discontinued the Model 20 38/44 Heavy Duty and the Model 23 38/44 Outdoorsman in 1966. Products of a bygone era......

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Fleabus
August 13, 2017, 19:15
I've been eyeing 38/44s for a month on the smith forum and GB
congrats on the aquisition
barrel length?
blued i assume
color me jealous

VALMET
August 13, 2017, 21:29
Congtats! Pics when you can. Vintage N-frames are a favorite of mine

OLDMANPBK
August 13, 2017, 21:34
:beer: I love those things. Can't wait to see the pics.

BUFF
August 18, 2017, 14:31
The .38-44 Outdoorsman came with a 6-1/2 inch barrel. There were a very few 5 inchers made, usually dubbed "McGivern guns," as that was one of his favorite demo guns. Even more rare are Outdoorsmen that have longer barrels, when the factory would special order one and use their .357 Mag barrel for the extra length.

Timber Wolf
August 19, 2017, 17:40
Huh, a story like that and no pics? Dang but that's cold dude.

abbynormal
August 21, 2017, 19:17
My Papaw who was an Illinois State Police Lt bought a 38/44 Outdoorsman when he joined the ISP in the 1930's, (they had to provide their own pistols then).

It was used to train my father, my uncle, 2 older cousins and myself to shoot a pistol.

When Papaw died in 1974, everyone knew he wanted the Outdoorsman to go to my oldest cousin ( who was Papaw's closest Grandson). Under the grips, Papaw put a note that said it was the property of my oldest cousin and the note is still there. When my cousin died 10 years ago, his son (who was taught to shoot on this gun asked me about it. I gave him its history and told him it is never to be sold only passed on to family members.

As has been said before, the sights are a bit small, I would prefer a slightly larger grip, but OH MY GOD! How did S&W make actions so smooth, light and break so crisp!

Here's a little more about it with some pictures: http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-hand-ejectors-1896-1961/211623-old-family-friend.html

SWOHFAL
August 21, 2017, 22:10
My Papaw who was an Illinois State Police Lt bought a 38/44 Outdoorsman when he joined the ISP in the 1930's, (they had to provide their own pistols then).

It was used to train my father, my uncle, 2 older cousins and myself to shoot a pistol.

When Papaw died in 1974, everyone knew he wanted the Outdoorsman to go to my oldest cousin ( who was Papaw's closest Grandson). Under the grips, Papaw put a note that said it was the property of my oldest cousin and the note is still there. When my cousin died 10 years ago, his son (who was taught to shoot on this gun asked me about it. I gave him its history and told him it is never to be sold only passed on to family members.

As has been said before, the sights are a bit small, I would prefer a slightly larger grip, but OH MY GOD! How did S&W make actions so smooth, light and break so crisp!

Here's a little more about it with some pictures: http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-hand-ejectors-1896-1961/211623-old-family-friend.html

I would tell my cousin's son that I had first dibs on it if he ever even considered selling it so it would stay in-family.

FUUN063
August 24, 2017, 14:43
Pics would happen if Photobucket wasn't such a PITA.

Leland:biggrin:

abbynormal
August 28, 2017, 20:19
I would tell my cousin's son that I had first dibs on it if he ever even considered selling it so it would stay in-family.

That was done the moment he asked me about it.

Story
August 29, 2017, 20:27
Pics would happen if Photobucket wasn't such a PITA.

Leland:biggrin:

www.imgur.com

Don't cost nutin'.

You're welcome.

FUUN063
August 31, 2017, 16:57
Installing it on my PC now. We'll see. It took me about a year to understand how to use Photobucket!!!

Leland

Glashaus
September 30, 2017, 12:16
Outdoorsman's are nice! I have two .38/44 Heavy Duties, love shooting these big old .38's!

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag58/tomhaynes47/IMG_1222_zps6kjojytx.jpg (http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/tomhaynes47/media/IMG_1222_zps6kjojytx.jpg.html)

VALMET
September 30, 2017, 12:40
Those are two great looking old S&Ws...