PDA

View Full Version : Ptr pdw still having barrel issues?

Albatross52
August 13, 2017, 15:34
I bought a new PTR K3P last year and sent it back to them twice, first time I got it back they said they replaced the extractor. STILL would not cycle a complete mag. The second time I sent it back(at my expense) they kept it for a month, sent it back said they replaced the bolt head.STILL would not cycle a complete round, and would have to remove stuck spent rounds from the chamber.ended up replacing the entire BCG with all German parts, only the #3 locking piece would allow it to cycle, but still not 100%. BRAKE-IN,BRAKE-IN,BRAKE-IN, is all I heard from PTR. Come on guys if it is not broke in by 1200 rounds something is wrong!!!! Just doesn't look like proper fluting in the chamber. So I purchased a complete POF BCG, replaced the locking piece with my #3 (kept my German parts) and sold it.
My nephew came to visit last week and brought two new PTR's, a K3P and a 51P. GUESS WHAT... Neither one would cycle properly. after around 5-6 mags through each one, I was soaking wet with sweat and gave up. I told him the best thing he could do is just keep sending them back to PTR, or send them out to some one like Jeff that could re-barrel them. I have only had two PTR's that functioned fairly good straight from the box, a PTR Classic 18", and a used PTR KPF. Both have replacement German BCG's in them.
Why can't a company like PTR get it together and build a fine quality firearm? I know and believe that PTR is capable of building the some of finest roller lock weapons.

hansellhd
August 14, 2017, 09:43
I bought a new PTR K3P last year and sent it back to them twice, first time I got it back they said they replaced the extractor. STILL would not cycle a complete mag. The second time I sent it back(at my expense) they kept it for a month, sent it back said they replaced the bolt head.STILL would not cycle a complete round, and would have to remove stuck spent rounds from the chamber.ended up replacing the entire BCG with all German parts, only the #3 locking piece would allow it to cycle, but still not 100%. BRAKE-IN,BRAKE-IN,BRAKE-IN, is all I heard from PTR. Come on guys if it is not broke in by 1200 rounds something is wrong!!!! Just doesn't look like proper fluting in the chamber. So I purchased a complete POF BCG, replaced the locking piece with my #3 (kept my German parts) and sold it.
My nephew came to visit last week and brought two new PTR's, a K3P and a 51P. GUESS WHAT... Neither one would cycle properly. after around 5-6 mags through each one, I was soaking wet with sweat and gave up. I told him the best thing he could do is just keep sending them back to PTR, or send them out to some one like Jeff that could re-barrel them. I have only had two PTR's that functioned fairly good straight from the box, a PTR Classic 18", and a used PTR KPF. Both have replacement German BCG's in them.
Why can't a company like PTR get it together and build a fine quality firearm? I know and believe that PTR is capable of building the some of finest roller lock weapons.

That sucks big time, break in period should be no longer than 200 rounds at the most. Sounds like PTR QC is going into the Crapper. Two of my PTR Rifles are 7 years old the other one is 4 years old, all are Flawless. (PTR91GI/PTR32/PTR91K)

Back in the Day they never had problems like this with HK or Springfield Clones, made right the first time. I think PTR made a higher quaility Gun when they were based in CT.

djfin
August 14, 2017, 11:40
Break in bullshit is just that BULLSHIT. A new firearm should work period. A very big chance that the POS PTR barrel is the problem. I have put 12 HK91 kits together using the original barrel or one from RCM with no break in period required for them to funtion