PDA

View Full Version : SIG P320 opinions?

DK
August 05, 2017, 13:52
I've handled a couple of these. They feel good in my hand. The Army seems to like them...

Anybody have input? Shooting impressions? I think I'd be leaning towards a P320 Carry in 9mm. Gives you the full 17rnd capacity with a little shorter slide length.

DK

meltblown
August 05, 2017, 14:08
I have a compact and shoot it rarely and keep it in the bed stand. I bought it because I like sigs but never had a striker fired pistol.

I'm ambivalent about it as it's snappy as the mag starts to unload. 9mm. I do like the capacity. Bought it for the wife originally but after she did an AD in the house due to no trigger discipline, it was confiscated. My 239 shoots much better

Thorack
August 05, 2017, 14:12
Well,

I fingered a bunch and they all feel the same. They feel great in the hand but the trigger feels a little odd. The trigger feels better that a Glock trigger but it still feels odd compared to the old Beretta.

Price is right as well.

Thorack

hueyville
August 05, 2017, 15:02
Why most of my pistols have a hammer. mm from CDNN on clearance special for $39 each and whenever a new 9mm follows me home drop a new threaded barrel in and add to one of my overt rifle vests. Use the 40's as carry and truck pistols.

(Trimmed so don't have to read twice because someone has to repost in entirety for some reason. Read rest of post below )

I would look at a SIGGY with a hammer as they have plenty in DAO, SAO and DA/SA. I go for the SAO and DA/SA models with hammers.

ftierson
August 05, 2017, 15:33
Why most of my pistols have a hammer. Only striker fired pistols are between seven to nine (wife steals, buy more, steals again, buy more) stainless Charter Arms 380 Backup's. Windshield pouch or side crash bar pouch of every motorcycle and every small purse has one stashed, she absolutely loves them and I use as pocket pistols because no big cavern in back to collect pocket lint and sawdust. Also combination of traditional safety and grip safety mixed with heavy trigger pull means any discharge was done on purpose or plain stupidity as they can't accidentally fire.

One of the most recent was sold by Sheriffs Dept after a murder case was dispensed and enough time had passed for them to legally sell. Gun gets confiscated around here and it gets sold to LGS soon as case is dispensed. Like to jump on the LEO sales quick as LGS buys them dirt cheap.

Hammer with heavy DA and decent SA pull and super cheap price why chose the SIG 2022's. First pair were $349 new in box with spare magazine and paddle holster included. Now pay $325 to $350 used with several spare mags usually in both 9mm and 40 Smith. Purchased a pile of factory SIG 2022 threaded barrels in 9mm from CDNN on clearance special for $39 each and whenever a new 9mm follows me home drop a new threaded barrel in and add to one of my overt rifle vests. Use the 40's as carry and truck pistols.

Trying to think if have any other striker fired pistols and except for the 380 Backups a Grendel P30 and Keltec PMR-30 may be it for the striker fired handguns owned in my household. That's about a dozen out of over 100 handguns. The pair of 30 shot 22 magnums are oddities but with a single spare magazine having 60 rounds of 22 magnum in back pocket will about clear a medium sized watering hole. At least after the first 50 or so people take a round the rest might get discouraged and the ones shot with a 22 magnum will be less on an issue to wrestle with if needed. Bought the P30 right before the Bush Ban and ex wife was still bartending and pretending wasn't about to wipe the bank accounts, rape the house and leave without even a note. Yep, February of 91 so got it in 1990 and took about two months to make it function reliably.

I would look at a SIGGY with a hammer as they have plenty in DAO, SAO and DA/SA. I go for the SAO and DA/SA models with hammers.

Say what...?

Forrest

Falfan2017
August 05, 2017, 18:20
320 is ok but I like the da/sa digs much more. Look at the 239 or 228. 228 has 15 + 1 is easily concealable and shoots like a dream.

DK
August 05, 2017, 18:26
oh yeah, I'm no stranger to the classic Sig line. Currently, there are a standard P226, Legion P226, P225, P228, P229, SAO P220, and 3 P220's in the inventory. Just looking for more info on the P320. Never fired one, have only handled a couple. I like Glocks and shoot them well. Also enjoy Walther's and Springfield's striker pistols.

DK

M90A1
August 05, 2017, 18:31
stainless Charter Arms 380 Backup's.

You talkin' about the old AMT .380 Backup?

Tat2
August 06, 2017, 10:54
I just ran a stage as a Range Officer at a large USPSA match and out of 145 shooters (and I noticed every gun) maybe 4-5 SIG 320's. And 2 of those were the more competitive 320 X5 model. 2 were the RX model with the Romeo 1 red dot optic. As a competition shooter trust me... every shooter is looking for an advantage. Not many people have switched to it...

Personally I really want to like the ability to change frames to accommodate the shooters hand. I like the frame on the X5 to lower the super high bore axis on SIG's and one reason they are not that popular with competition shooters. The trigger was not impressive and I like the flat X5 trigger. They can be made better like any other trigger. But not as cheaply as say a Glock.

I have played with the FN509, SIG 320 and CZ P10c at an LGS and I would pick;

1. CZ
2. SIG
3. FN 509

T

hueyville
August 07, 2017, 00:58
You talkin' about the old AMT .380 Backup?

That's it, had a synapse misfire. Have fired 320's and they are fine, unless it's a pocket pistol don't want filling up with pocket lint avoid striker fired pistols. Hammers make it obvious as to current condition of pistol and more user friendly to me. IMHO, YMMV & other standard disclaimers. Nothing wrong with the 320, especially if operating in dirty environment as rear of pistol sealed from dirt and gunk better.

DK
August 07, 2017, 11:33
Hmmm.... found this today fwiw. http://www.tacticalshit.com/a-sig-p320-will-kill-you-drop-test-fail/

hueyville
August 07, 2017, 13:18
Tat2,
Last three competitions I attended left before finished shooting my stages due to number of unsafe gun handling incidents witnessed.
(Trimmed so everyone not forced to read twice, if interested see quote below)
When tell them using for race work or range and based on requests for 11 target crown and more they slick up my SIG 1911's nicely. Soon as get hands on any SIG start making a list for factory shop.

fnogger
August 07, 2017, 16:54
Hmmm.... found this today fwiw. http://www.tacticalshit.com/a-sig-p320-will-kill-you-drop-test-fail/

Gunplumber posted that on facebook earlier... wasn't the 320 picked by the .mil ?

Personally if I were going to own a SIG (came really close, still may...) it would be a 220, 226 or 228.

But to afford one I'd need to sell my CZ... and I just don't see that happening. :D

ftierson
August 07, 2017, 17:15
Tat2,
Last three competitions I attended left before finished shooting my stages due to number of unsafe gun handling incidents witnessed. Saw one R.O. start a shooter on a stage while worker was still pasting holes in targets from previous shooters. Not any fault of Glock or its design but so many shooters had purchased kits and installed their three pound or less trigger without a gunsmiths involvement in building the gun as well as 1911's and every gun under the sun seemed to see more rapping, tapping and racking to get slides closed, jams cleared and people breaking the 180 degree plane that I just left before I was standing in wrong place when someone had an AD. These were smaller local matches (50 to 100 total competators) and decided was not going to try and work my way back through the ranks to higher classes again. Any well known popular made pistol can be made to run reliably if owner has sense to do the work and if doesn't then has sense to send it to someone who does. Have sent five SIG's that I can work on easily back to New Hampshire as the SIG Factory Custom shop works at very reasonable prices and liability is on them. Work comes back with warranty. Have my own "guy" now who puts my preferred 3.25 pound trigger in Al 1911's send them even though site says 4.0 is as low as they will go. When tell them using for race work or range and based on requests for 11 target crown and more they slick up my SIG 1911's nicely. Soon as get hands on any SIG start making a list for factory shop.

But what about the SIG 320?

Forrest

meltblown
August 07, 2017, 17:26

Forrest

:). I'm sure they are just as prone to muzzle sweeping as the rest.

SAFN49
August 07, 2017, 18:56

Forrest

Won the Govt contract so it's GTG!!!!

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ch7si_VQsGA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nuttz
August 07, 2017, 19:21
Well F@ck!!! Was interested in replacing my M&P9 with a P320... until I watched that.

SAFN49
August 07, 2017, 19:35
http://i.imgur.com/hZ0Rrq6.jpg (http://imgur.com/hZ0Rrq6)

Shootability
August 07, 2017, 22:19
Real ad.

SAFN49
August 07, 2017, 22:29
Real ad.

LMFAO!!!! They got that right.

Falfan2017
August 07, 2017, 22:44
Wow that really makes you wonder how many other pistols would go off when dropped like that if that back of the slide drop is not part of official testing.

hueyville
August 08, 2017, 06:56

Forrest

My post does wander off topic but what warranted your REPOSTING IN ITS ENTIRETY? It blows my mind how some complain about long posts or thread drift by punching quote button on the entire thing. When you learn to TRIM a quote, I might consider staying on topic. See example below.

Tat2,
Last three competitions I attended left before finished shooting my stages due to number of unsafe gun handling incidents witnessed.
(Trim)
Have sent five SIG's that I can work on easily back to New Hampshire as the SIG Factory Custom shop works at very reasonable prices and liability is on them. Work comes back with warranty.
(Trim)

Gets your message across without doubling down on what your b!tching about. Need some cheese to go with your "whine"?

DK
August 08, 2017, 15:40
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20638366_10212012459658300_7971786198366585080_n.j pg?oh=14c6fdff024909b292b3e5d56e855d97&oe=59F9C315

ftierson
August 08, 2017, 20:54
My post does wander off topic but what warranted your REPOSTING IN ITS ENTIRETY? It blows my mind how some complain about long posts or thread drift by punching quote button on the entire thing. When you learn to TRIM a quote, I might consider staying on topic. See example below.

Gets your message across without doubling down on what your b!tching about. Need some cheese to go with your "whine"?

Thanks for the advice.

I'll probably need it...

Forrest

August 09, 2017, 19:55
at this point, what difference does it make?

keepin my glock, dumb simple like me.

meltblown
August 09, 2017, 20:57
Well guess I'm starting to like it more now. I used to be no stranger to danger but man oh man,

The trigger thing is real. Should have used the little trigger thingy.

SAFN49
August 10, 2017, 08:19
Sig just offered a voluntary upgrade to fix the problem. :rofl:

https://www.sigsauer.com/press-releases/sig-sauer-issues-voluntary-upgrade-p320-pistol/

Albatross52
August 10, 2017, 20:48
I still can't believe the U.S. Army chose a plastic lowered sidearm. The first time in U.S. history. The U.S. Army, Navy and Marines have always been all metal. Maybe they talked with gunplumber the MASTER GUNSMITH. No pun intended! But any pistol with a plastic lower is disposable. Glock or G-LOCK, as me and my former colleagues refer to them, were marketed for law enforcement primarily, because,we all know they are under paid for their jobs, and glock offered a very dependable, and accurate sidearm at an affordable price. Mark , I can appreciate your assessment of the Sig VS the G-LOCK. But anyone who would accept a re-welded fire arm into their shop, I would have to question their competence. Maybe building models was your strong point, as they where fine and acccurate.
Travis

W.E.G.
August 10, 2017, 21:19
I'll warm up to it in about 30 years.

Took me that long for the M9.

Meantime, the M9 will do just fine.

SAFN49
August 10, 2017, 21:20
Re weld

http://i.imgur.com/1uvxoSd.jpg (http://imgur.com/1uvxoSd)

Finished product

http://i.imgur.com/oa1ZOH8.jpg (http://imgur.com/oa1ZOH8)

My 30 year old Glock has never jammed. Plastic firearms are not disposable.
The simply function without worrying about rust.

meltblown
August 10, 2017, 21:37
I'll warm up to it in about 30 years.

Took me that long for the M9.

Meantime, the M9 will do just fine.

Gave mine to my son it law.

SWOHFAL
August 10, 2017, 23:33
I still can't believe the U.S. Army chose a plastic lowered sidearm. The first time in U.S. history. The U.S. Army, Navy and Marines have always been all metal. Maybe they talked with gunplumber the MASTER GUNSMITH. No pun intended! But any pistol with a plastic lower is disposable. Glock or G-LOCK, as me and my former colleagues refer to them, were marketed for law enforcement primarily, because,we all know they are under paid for their jobs, and glock offered a very dependable, and accurate sidearm at an affordable price. Mark , I can appreciate your assessment of the Sig VS the G-LOCK. But anyone who would accept a re-welded fire arm into their shop, I would have to question their competence. Maybe building models was your strong point, as they where fine and acccurate.
Travis

Weapons of war are disposable and investing a lot in something that may get superseded in 20-30 years or so is foolish. No need for a durable hunk of steel that will last a couple centuries and aluminum is little better than polymer in my estimation for the sake of durability. This way we can keep upgrading with little concern for having inventory of prior weapons on hand that have tens of thousands of rounds left in them.