PDA

View Full Version : M16a1/603 upper with hole drilled in side? Why and what difference would it make?

Cossack
August 02, 2017, 17:26
I came across a complete M16a1 barreled upper that I was preparing to buy when I noticed what appears to be a hole drilled in the left side near the back of the receiver itself.

https://img2.jpegbay.com/gallery/006380135/8_f.jpg?6851

Why would someone do that? Would it serve some purpose?

To what extent would it affect the performance, safety, and value of the upper?

Or....

Is that not a hole, but some sort of stamping or marking. Sure looks like a hole, though...

akinnepa
August 02, 2017, 19:36
Looks like an altered photo, rear pin hole is square.

Get more pics, look at it in person, or run like hell.

Edit* may be a shadow under the pillow.

What kind of charging handle is that?

Cossack
August 02, 2017, 19:44
Looks like an altered photo, rear pin hole is square.

Get more pics, look at it in person, or run like hell.

Edit* may be a shadow under the pillow.

What kind of charging handle is that?

Looks like the photo was resized - follow this link for the full size: https://jpegbay.com/gallery/006380135-.html#8

The rear pin hole is round, as it should be.

The seller acknowledges that the charging handle is not proper to the setup. I'm not sure what kind it is.

akinnepa
August 02, 2017, 19:58
I'll be totally honest.

I can't tell what's going on in the back, but the only picture of it is a resized one compared to all of the other ones when I click "original"

I'd ask for more pics

Your mileage may vary

Cossack
August 02, 2017, 20:14
Thanks. I'm gonna consider the upper a writeoff, although there's no reason it shouldn't be useable. I have another 603 upper sitting around. I'll only buy this if I can get it at a price that's good for barrel and other parts.

akinnepa
August 02, 2017, 20:46
Let me know how it turns out. I have an odd calling to "one off" AR stuff but have never heard or seen anything like that, if it is a hole.

FriendBesto
August 02, 2017, 23:31
The whole left side of that receiver looks wrong. Is it just a coincidence that the only pic of the left side is blurry? Hmmm....

ftierson
August 02, 2017, 23:40
The whole left side of that receiver looks wrong. Is it just a coincidence that the only pic of the left side is blurry? Hmmm....

Does kind of make you wonder, doesn't it...?

Forrest

Tuscan Raider
August 03, 2017, 01:55
No worries. That's the latest spot for a QD.

Buy that puppy up.;)

TenTea
August 03, 2017, 06:04
Hey, at least there is coffee behind the sandbags.

Cossack
August 03, 2017, 11:10
No worries. That's the latest spot for a QD.

Buy that puppy up.;)

I would have, but I wasn't sure if you meant a Quacking Duck, a Quick Daiquiri, or a Quilting Diagram. Would've definitely taken it for the quilting diagram, but I have no use for a duck on a AR.

Cossack
August 03, 2017, 11:12
It broke $400 and never met the seller's reserve. I know some would pay that just for a complete colt barrel, but I decided not to.

fly2.0
August 03, 2017, 11:13
I came across a complete M16a1 barreled upper that I was preparing to buy when I noticed what appears to be a hole drilled in the left side near the back of the receiver itself.

https://img2.jpegbay.com/gallery/006380135/8_f.jpg?6851

Why would someone do that? Would it serve some purpose?

To what extent would it affect the performance, safety, and value of the upper?

Or....

Is that not a hole, but some sort of stamping or marking. Sure looks like a hole, though...

What did the seller say about it ? Is it demill for some reason ? :eek:
I've never come across anything like that before .

Cossack
August 03, 2017, 11:30
What did the seller say about it ? Is it demill for some reason ? :eek:
I've never come across anything like that before .

Seller didn't know what it was for. I asked about it over at AR15.com and some claimed to have a Dutch AR10 with the same hole, supposedly a "demil" that clearly doesn't really deactivate anything.

kev
August 03, 2017, 17:50
https://img2.jpegbay.com/gallery/006380135/3_f.jpg?6851

They actually confirmed that it's a hole and not a sticker? Best pic I can find and can't tell for sure.

A hole wouldn't hurt anything but the value. I'd probably be willing to go $400 but no more. I've bought so many for $300 over the years that I wouldn't need another but the retro stuff has really gone up lately.

abbynormal
August 14, 2017, 19:29
Run, Forrest Run!