PDA

View Full Version : Refinish Israeli Stcok Set?

captk
June 16, 2002, 20:18
I purchased an Israeli Stock set but am not sure if I should refinish it not. The finish looks like the varnish is starting to flake. What is the best method of removal? I am refinishing a G1 stock set now and one side of the stock was saturated with varnish. Without sanding it down to nothing, I have a stock with a light and dark side. I am trying to stain the light side to get the color closer. Should I leave the Israeli stock alone or strip it and refinish? Any suggestions are appreciated. Anyone know what the finish is? Looks like varnish.

Thanks, Ken

R4 fan
June 16, 2002, 21:16
I have a bunch of Izzy stocks that I'm refinishing for myself. They originally came with a varnish type coating. I use the "No Fumes" Easy Off oven cleaner spray, and hot water. Just spray, let sit, then rinse and scrub with a plastic diswashing scrubbie thing and dish soap under hot water. Repeat as necessary. Get the water really hot and it "dries" alost immediately after removing from the water. You can also use paint stripper, but with the Easy Off you can do it right in the sink. I've also used one of those orange citrus "Goof-Off" type cleaners (for removing blood, tar, grease, oil. etc.) with great results. Easy Off seems to work the best though.

No problems with rinsing the wood in water. Just towel dry it then let it sit somewhere to dry naturally. If you really let the stock soak in water, don't put it under direct heat or sunlight, as it will crack. After it's dry, I coat with tung oil, wipe off and let dry. Repeat until you're satisfied. Then I put one coat of linseed oil on it, then apply a mixture of beeswax, boiled linseed oil and turpentine rubbed in by hand. Gives it a nice military finsh. :D

captk
June 17, 2002, 19:27
Thanks for the feedback. I used easyoff to clean the G1 stock I am refinishing. I applied some stain to the light side and although not perfect, the wood looks closer. I did notice that the wood appeared a light gray after using the easyoff. Is that from the easy off? I also have the Israeli handguards which I would like to refinish also. I did not clean the wood with soap and water, just rinsed it off with a hose. I'll try your method and see what happens. Thanks, Ken