PDA

View Full Version : psa glock ar9 - help me spec upper

fnogger
July 30, 2017, 07:41
OK I asked this over on arf and got an offer to buy some vendors $600 pre-built upper. NOT what I need/want/desire.

Note that buying a complete upper is really a no-go due to my budget constraints and the fact that any time I get more than a few hundred saved up Something Happens and there went my future gun to pay for it... so I'll be buying parts or a set of parts once a month (on my "spare money from bills" paycheck).

The one useful answer I got indicated my choice of hand guards may be troublesome due to barrel diameters and how the hand guards attach up front......

But we're so much nicer and more helpful over here on the 'Files... dunno why I even registered over there...

The post - and yes, I still need help -

Please help me get a parts list set up for completing the pre-built PSA glock mag lower that is on its way to me ...

From what I've read here and googled I need

1) A bolt with the modification cut to use wtih glock mags. Thinking the Spinta - lots of reports (on arf) on working setups with it... any reason not to?

2) Any upper. Considering the Spartan from Joe Bob's with LRBHO. BUT... I want to avoid functioning and building issues, which I understand the LRBHO feature can provide for the hapless newbie (ie, me). Go for it or just use a generic upper?

Now here's where I need (some|more|a lot of ) help -

3) Everything forward of the upper receiver - barrel, hand guards, some way of attaching hand guards... I don't care to go playing in tax-stamp land. I'd like to use A2 hand guards, think "flat top no irons Dissipator"...

Delta ring, that funky spring thing underneath it (standard 556 AR parts right?), actual barrel 16.x" long (any particular maker?). some sort of fake gas block to retain hand guards... Anything else?

Help a guy spend (a little) money and keep as much of the hair he has left as is possible :)

Thanks for any and all feedback!

munchoman
July 30, 2017, 07:51
have to watch for these come up on sale, i like mine, i paid $325 shipped

add says bolt is NOT ramped, the bolt that came with my set is ramped,

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-9mm-16-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

fnogger
July 30, 2017, 08:33
have to watch for these come up on sale, i like mine, i paid $325 shipped

add says bolt is NOT ramped, the bolt that came with my set is ramped,

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-9mm-16-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

Yup. Out of stock, apparently has been out of stock for a while, and no idea as to when it will be in stock.

Also, I need to do this in pieces due to my economics... so bolt, then upper, then barrel, then the rest

ByronF
July 30, 2017, 09:21
I thought of building processor, but couldn't find a better deal than pre-built.

I wouldn't pay a premium for LRBHO. If that's what causes my death then I grabbed the wrong gun anyhow. Get bolt and barrel, then troll for used junk box spare parts to finish it.

Floater tubes are easy and do away with fake gas block and front handguard ferrule. There are cheap Chinese ones on eBay. But who believes a 9mm needs a floating barrel to shoot squirrels at 300 yd. If you are OK with plastic handguards I have a pair you can have for shipping. Carbine or mid-length, your choice. Just get a barrel with the shoulder at the right length. I have pistol grip and screw you can have, too.

Find the cheapest upper you can find. Doesn't matter if it has forward assist, it won't function anyhow. Port door is optional. Again, your life shouldn't depend on a 9mm AR.

Buffer and spring are important for a 9mm. Get a proper, heavy buffer intended for a 9mm.

fnogger
July 30, 2017, 09:25
Buffer and spring are important for a 9mm. Get a proper, heavy buffer intended for a 9mm.

I'm hoping that the buffer that PSA includes is in fact their 9mm buffer... I mean logically why include something else in a complete 9mm lower?

ByronF
July 30, 2017, 09:31
Here's a cheap barrel. $50 cheaper than one with a shoulder for fake gas block. Add that $50 to the $25 you'd have to pay for a gas block, plus $25 for barrel nut and delta ring and you have $100 to spend on a cheap floater tube. That's what I'd do.
https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XNFA9P16&name=New+Frontier+Armory+Premium+16+inch+9mm+AR+Ba rrel&groupid=8174

ByronF
July 30, 2017, 09:32
I'm hoping that the buffer that PSA includes is in fact their 9mm buffer... I mean logically why include something else in a complete 9mm lower?

Their buffer works. I think that's what I have but not 100% sure. Missed that you got a complete lower.

fnogger
July 30, 2017, 10:13
Here's a cheap barrel. $50 cheaper than one with a shoulder for fake gas block. Add that $50 to the $25 you'd have to pay for a gas block, plus $25 for barrel nut and delta ring and you have $100 to spend on a cheap floater tube. That's what I'd do.
https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XNFA9P16&name=New+Frontier+Armory+Premium+16+inch+9mm+AR+Ba rrel&groupid=8174

That does sound like a good plan. So the only parts I need for everything in front of the receiver would be barrel, barrel nut, the tube, the barrel itself, and a muzzle device, yes?

Looking at the Hogue tube - https://www.hogueinc.com/ar-15-m-16-knurled-aluminum-free-float-forend

edit - just watched their video - no barrel nut needed, the Hogue comes with one.

ByronF
July 30, 2017, 10:17
That does sound like a good plan. So the only parts I need for everything in front of the receiver would be barrel, barrel nut, the tube, the barrel itself, and a muzzle device, yes?

Looking at the Hogue tube - https://www.hogueinc.com/ar-15-m-16-knurled-aluminum-free-float-forend

The tube probably includes barrel mounting nut.

hueyville
July 30, 2017, 12:26
Patience is my best advice. Don't buy till see a super deal unless you just have to get it running ASAP.

fnogger
July 30, 2017, 13:08
Patience is my best advice. Don't buy till see a super deal unless you just have to get it running ASAP.

Nope. I've gone through several vendors, have it all narrowed down to, and in order of aquisition...

Spinta bolt - blem, but $109...

NFA slick side pistol caliber upper w/ the LRBHO for glock mags - $140

The NFA barrel mentioned above - $100
A2 style muzzle device $10
Standard charging handle $15

Hogue free float tube forend (knurled, no grip crap please) $90ish

My budget process should allow the buying to start in 2 weeks and finish by November...

Unless someone's network breaks... or a new network needs making... or someone needs some web programming done ... or ... In which case it will rapidly accelerate....

Also considering selling my 20ga O/U - acquired it by selling off a Century AK when Obama was elected first time 'round, may as well let it fund a new toy since I don't hunt and haven't hit a skeet range in years... if that happens, I may change to a side charging upper (and skip the LRBHO).

fly2.0
July 30, 2017, 13:32
Nope. I've gone through several vendors, have it all narrowed down to, and in order of aquisition...

Spinta bolt - blem, but $109...

NFA slick side pistol caliber upper w/ the LRBHO for glock mags - $140

The NFA barrel mentioned above - $100
A2 style muzzle device $10
Standard charging handle $15

Hogue free float tube forend (knurled, no grip crap please) $90ish

My budget process should allow the buying to start in 2 weeks and finish by November...

Unless someone's network breaks... or a new network needs making... or someone needs some web programming done ... or ... In which case it will rapidly accelerate....

Also considering selling my 20ga O/U - acquired it by selling off a Century AK when Obama was elected first time 'round, may as well let it fund a new toy since I don't hunt and haven't hit a skeet range in years... if that happens, I may change to a side charging upper (and skip the LRBHO).

If you run short on funds ? And need small parts , (HG's , Carbine or Mid length ) , Charge handle . LMK I have a few odd & ends you can have , I don't really need them .

ByronF
July 30, 2017, 13:38
In today's used gun market you'll be giving away that O/U

fnogger
July 30, 2017, 14:59
In today's used gun market you'll be giving away that O/U

Good thing I paid $150 for the AK... :D

Not in any big hurry, so one paycheck at a time... I do appreciate the offers of bits-n-bobs y'all...

hueyville
July 30, 2017, 17:31
Your thinking, before back went out my last three bicycles were paid for by building websites for bicycle shops. Even have a $11,000 custom built carbon fiber road bike from when local bikes hop decided to add a web store to their site. At the time was no "Go Daddy" canned site in a box, especially when needed to be able to change product and prices daily. Set up so as they added an item into store computer system for inventory tracking and cash registers it propogated to web store. Asked me how much it would cost and said a Trek Project One custom with metallic flames and Swiss made wheels. Now Trek provides them with a website for free as part of dealer package.

If had any AR pistol top end parts left would send you on some stuff. Recently had to dig down into DOS and start assigning ports and rummaging around in device manager along with working on new websites to realize that the computer has moved so far beyond my skill level in the short time I stopped being active at the command prompt level that it's a stinking battle to do many tasks want to do. Already decided to outsource scanning over a thousand slides and 100 hours of video conversion to current digital standards as trying to learn video editing rather than try to do it all and get nothing accomplished due to being overwhelmed. Used to keep an IT person on staff and with his and my skills keep up easily. Did Beta testing for software companies with digital imagining and output software and was not uncommon to get a Beta copy with loopy code or bad firmware push, fix it in-house and send it back.

For an old timer that learned Basic, Pascal, Fortran and Cobol that hit a decade of not keeping up with advances am worse than ignorant as often assume I can still drill down into my machines and fix or set up something that turns to mud. Now just setting up my new video surveillance system with 16 cameras that had to ping one at time and assign to channel of DVR then set up area of view wanted motion sensing, which cameras with alerts via phone and protocols for priority cameras to record and when to spool off to thumb drive to make easier to review video steams most likely to have what I needed to see without watching a months worth of data from all 16 cameras to get the darn thieves and vandals.

Remember when computers were supposed to simplify our lives. Also remember paying $17,000 for a 286 machine with an 8.5"11" tractor feed black and white scanner then another $900 for a 287 math coprocesser that had to risk installing myself without bending a pin because service techs in Atlanta wanted $500 to come install it and spending half my day watching task bars scroll across bottom od screen was driving me crazy. Had a 5.25" floppy and 20 MB hard drive. Of course it beat the tape drive in my Tandy got in high school with dual 5.25" floppies for running programs. Now my free smart phone is 200x smarter with 1,000x more storage. Shame I got out of the alt.2600 usenet crowd as they kept each other sharp. If someone severely messed another up a quick post to the news group and they would be a gentleman and send a fix for the hack they had done. Still enjoy war driving but with so many open networks and stiff hacking laws it's not fun anymore.

Segway off, back to pistol uppers for AR's. I have slick side FDE upper but it's likely not of any use for you, planning on using for a varmint rifle build as a 24" fat tube rifle doesn't need a tilt button.

fnogger
July 30, 2017, 19:36
Your thinking, before back went out my last three bicycles were paid for by building websites for bicycle shops. Even have a $11,000 custom built carbon fiber road bike from when local bikes hop decided to add a web store to their site. At the time was no "Go Daddy" canned site in a box, especially when needed to be able to change product and prices daily. Set up so as they added an item into store computer system for inventory tracking and cash registers it propogated to web store. Asked me how much it would cost and said a Trek Project One custom with metallic flames and Swiss made wheels. Now Trek provides them with a website for free as part of dealer package.

If had any AR pistol top end parts left would send you on some stuff. Recently had to dig down into DOS and start assigning ports and rummaging around in device manager along with working on new websites to realize that the computer has moved so far beyond my skill level in the short time I stopped being active at the command prompt level that it's a stinking battle to do many tasks want to do. Already decided to outsource scanning over a thousand slides and 100 hours of video conversion to current digital standards as trying to learn video editing rather than try to do it all and get nothing accomplished due to being overwhelmed. Used to keep an IT person on staff and with his and my skills keep up easily. Did Beta testing for software companies with digital imagining and output software and was not uncommon to get a Beta copy with loopy code or bad firmware push, fix it in-house and send it back.

For an old timer that learned Basic, Pascal, Fortran and Cobol that hit a decade of not keeping up with advances am worse than ignorant as often assume I can still drill down into my machines and fix or set up something that turns to mud. Now just setting up my new video surveillance system with 16 cameras that had to ping one at time and assign to channel of DVR then set up area of view wanted motion sensing, which cameras with alerts via phone and protocols for priority cameras to record and when to spool off to thumb drive to make easier to review video steams most likely to have what I needed to see without watching a months worth of data from all 16 cameras to get the darn thieves and vandals.

Remember when computers were supposed to simplify our lives. Also remember paying $17,000 for a 286 machine with an 8.5"11" tractor feed black and white scanner then another $900 for a 287 math coprocesser that had to risk installing myself without bending a pin because service techs in Atlanta wanted $500 to come install it and spending half my day watching task bars scroll across bottom od screen was driving me crazy. Had a 5.25" floppy and 20 MB hard drive. Of course it beat the tape drive in my Tandy got in high school with dual 5.25" floppies for running programs. Now my free smart phone is 200x smarter with 1,000x more storage. Shame I got out of the alt.2600 usenet crowd as they kept each other sharp. If someone severely messed another up a quick post to the news group and they would be a gentleman and send a fix for the hack they had done. Still enjoy war driving but with so many open networks and stiff hacking laws it's not fun anymore.

Segway off, back to pistol uppers for AR's. I have slick side FDE upper but it's likely not of any use for you, planning on using for a varmint rifle build as a 24" fat tube rifle doesn't need a tilt button.

My full time job is educational technology - I support all of our online classes, 450ish sections worth this fall. I also do a lot of back end programming for the non-registration/student info related systems - online calendar, workshop registration, etc.

My part time job - same college - is at nights as an adjunct instructor. I've taught PHP+SQL programming for the web as a fill-in, but until last fall I've been the only instructor teaching Linux Administration and Network Services With Linux (local network and internet - dhcp, samba, firewall/gateway/proxy, vpns, dns, http, mysql, smtp/pop3/imap with postfix).

Started programming when I was 10 on the TRS-80 - one of the guys with me at the after school ed place that taught us became google employee #1.... Did Turbo Pascal, Fortran, and Cobol in high school as a freshman, then started playing with the new Macs doing desktop publishing. Took a break until '94, but back in school picked it back up and switched majors for my AS degree, and 19 years ago fell into the job I have now...

Haven't used a non-Free OS since 2000.... I like *all* of my freedoms and rights... :D