PDA

View Full Version : My front sight can't see where I want it to shoot?

Ronin6.8
July 29, 2017, 18:58
So I go out behind the barn with a full mag, do a final function test on my new build, 20 rds down Range 0 issues.
But I notice that my old L1A1 don't see as good as it use to? :sad:
My front sight blade appears to be out of focus :D
So.... I was wondering if any of you guys put a little white paint on top of the post? Or just Polish the top? Something to make it show up better?
Thanks
P.s. I only use glass when I drink beer:beer:

Invictus77
July 29, 2017, 19:09
I am a 1965 model and that chit is just part of the puzzle to deal with.

White paint will not help if you are a similar model year of manufacture.

meltblown
July 29, 2017, 19:18
If I really need to get focused, a 1x 4X scope with an ARMS mount. Other than that someone's day isn't going to be fun at 100 yds if you get hit in the scrotum or the neck with irons. :wink:

Ronin6.8
July 29, 2017, 19:27
I'm a 1956 model lol I use Acog or Eotech on my younger rifles, but I personal fill there's no place on a FAL for glass, but that's just my opinion.
With all the new gadgets out there, I was hoping that someone may have a suggestion

Ronin6.8
July 29, 2017, 19:32
Thats funny melt blown :rofl::rofl:

Invictus77
July 29, 2017, 19:43
there's no place on a FAL for glass

I sighted in a Tri-Lux on my Brit L1A1 and a Burris XTR with a new mount on my race gun (Imbel/Imbel) just today. There are plenty of ways to glass an FAL.

In the MP, right here on the files, I posted two options that are up for sale today :whistling:

"I'm pulling for you, we are all in this together"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/--KXkdStee0?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fnogger
July 29, 2017, 22:19
I've got some old (386/486) CPUs with longer gold pins to attach to the mobo socket... though about dremeling a notch into a sight post and seeing if I could hammer that tiny gold pin into it to give a nice shiny aim assist...

If anyone wants to try this, I'll send you a few pins, just PM me your mailing address. Only requirement is you post a pic of the results...

Another option is to use a DSA railed top cover and put a 2 or 3 moa dot on it - the Bushnell TRS-25 (3moa dot) on my G1 build cowitnesses just fine, and even at lower power levels is a BIG help to get on target quick and stay there... and my vision is still 20/20...

medicmike
July 29, 2017, 22:22
I am a 1965 model and that chit is just part of the puzzle to deal with.

White paint will not help if you are a similar model year of manufacture.

The older I get, the more this makes sense

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19989753_10155553060757973_2856280067722438983_n.j pg?oh=ccac41c01c9ea639ecc2a547e40793ff&oe=5A31B655

Bwana John
July 29, 2017, 22:24
As long as you are only shooting well defined targets in adequate light a smaller rear aperture is the best way for a better front sight picture.

Well blackened non-reflective front sights help, but nobody carries around a carbide sight light anymore, and it was kinda dirty anyway.

DakTo
July 30, 2017, 09:20
Perhaps you may clean out the fuzz in the rear sight hole? :wink:

Ronin6.8
July 30, 2017, 10:08
Medic mike, I love the acog.
Bwana John has a good point, I'm going to touch up the top of the front post with some perms blue to see if that helps.

Danielsand
July 30, 2017, 15:55
I'm a 1956 model, but I personal fill there's no place on a FAL for glass, but that's just my opinion.

I am a 1955 model (have you ever tasted Dom Perignon 1955? It was a GREAT year. :wink:), and I also feel that FAL is great (in my case L1A1), just the way it is (with irons). My BFF has it scoped (in wood, ....mine is Maranyl), and I have trouble with quick target acquisition (on moving targets) with his set up.

No glass for me.

Scopes are GREAT for shooting "groups" on the paper. I've used several MBRs in several "conflicts" I was in. In that situation, there is no "groups". One shot usually does it (regardless of where it lands!). "Kill shots" are for the sniper guys, .....we like wounding the enemy, and waiting until his buddies (or medics!) show up, and take them out too.

We were trained to hit the moving targets ANYWHERE on the body. That will slow down their advance (and pretty much all movement). At that point, the guys with "glass", will use their DMRs to make their kill shots. I "played" both roles (used DMR quite a bit), and I feel that FAL is NOT a DMR (hate me if you will!), ...what it is though,.....it's an EXCELENT MBR just the way it is (with no glass).

Trouble focusing on the front? Time to see the optometrist!

3Gunnah
July 31, 2017, 12:32
You might have to add "glass" to the operator of the L1A1 to get rid of the fuzz!

Ronin6.8
July 31, 2017, 18:21
I was thinking, step up a little close to the target lol
One day at the range I shot a pretty decent 5rd group at 100yds, when the line when cool, I walk out to look at my target and it was clean? The guy that was standing next to me in front of his target said " I wish my rifle shot that good of a group" :whistling:

mutter
July 31, 2017, 22:49
White doesn't work that well. Try bright red or light blue nail polish. That's what works for me.

Falfan2017
August 01, 2017, 00:47
308 acog should do the trick nicely.

jhend170
August 01, 2017, 11:22
I've gone to putting this on all my standard open sights. It's dayglow yellow in daylight, and fluoresces bright yellow-green in the dark when charged (which about 10 seconds with a tac flashlight will get it to glow 20min+). I've found it especially handy on my pistols that do not have night sights, and one vial goes a REALLY long way (I've done 15+ guns, front and back sights, with a single vial). I put it on the front sight of my little North American 22mag that is always in my left front pocket with change and keys and such, yet it has stayed on nicely.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SiteGlo-Glow-In-The-Dark-Gun-Sight-Paint-Now-Improved-/272622440329?hash=item3f79904f89:g:hL0AAOxydlFS0xG 8

I haven't quite crested 50 yet, but close enough to be "enjoying" the side effects. Glass is the ultimate way to go obviously, but not always realistic. The hi-viz helps in its stead, and has made a big difference for me.

One other thing I might mention for guns they are available for are the fiber optics. I have these on my old model 94, and on my built 1911. There are no easier sights to see in daylight. I run green front and red rears and they practically jump out at you to grab the eye. If you've never looked through a set you may want to give them a try. Be great if there was a way to adapt some to the FAL.