PDA

View Full Version : Front sight won't budge

KY23
June 16, 2002, 15:36
Anyone have any suggestions? My front sight is screwed all the way down and I can't budge it to bring it back up and clean this area.

This is a Dan's Grade III kit.

Any help would be grealy appreciated,

Shootability
June 16, 2002, 15:50
I had exactly the same problem - I used Kroil penetrating oil on it for 24 hours - then got needle nose pliers and put the tips in the sights holes and gave it a good twist - it came loose grudgingly. It buggered up the sight so bad that I went ahead and ordered a new one from Dan - I did not ask him for a replacement since I thought that was luck of the draw and new ones were only 10.00

You might have more luck if you used penetrating oil then heated the post with a torch - I had already refinished my barrel and did not want to do that.

Good luck and be aware that the post is very hard and brittle.:o

ratas calientes
June 16, 2002, 18:13
Also, get yourself a front sight tool - well worth it. Better than adjusting your front sight with the bullet tip :) . I got mine from DSA. And while you are at it, be sure and get the tools for the gas regulator, buttstock/pistol grip, and extractor. Much better than pliers and bailing wire.

Ratas

Nicco
June 16, 2002, 19:26
A pair of Straight retaining ring pliers works great for the front site...won't screw up the holes and since they're so large you can get good leverage. Also I made a homeade buttstock tool mentioned on this site?? also works great.

W.E.G.
June 16, 2002, 20:09
Don't use the DSA tool on a really tight front sight. It will break (the tool). Ask me how I know.

R4 fan
June 16, 2002, 21:24
Before you try to remove anything, spray it with PB Blaster and let it sit. If you haven't tried this stufff your really missing out. There is no better penetrating oil, anywhere. :D

http://www.pbblaster.com/

http://www.pbblaster.com/store/images/PBCatalyst.gif

W.E.G.
June 16, 2002, 21:31
I see they have online ordering.

$4/can

How MUCH for shipping?

R4 fan
June 16, 2002, 23:49
Don't order it. It's sold just about everywhere. Check your local hardware or automotive parts store. This stuff really is unbelievable. I use it for everything. :D

Derby FALs
June 17, 2002, 02:25
Originally posted by gary.jeter
I see they have online ordering.

$4/can

How MUCH for shipping?

NAPA carries it.
We got the front sight fixed with a little heat.

woodie
June 17, 2002, 02:47
I've done a bunch of R1 stuck sights. Get some good penetrating oil, a pair of snap ring pliers, go to a local tool shop, you can buy one for less than the DSA one that will break on the stuck sights. Oil it good, then let it set a day, and oil it again. Wait a bit then use the snap ring pliers with a pair of vicegrips on both sides of it. If it doesn't come out order yourself a new gasblock and front sight and spring.

idsubgun
June 17, 2002, 08:28
Originally posted by gary.jeter
Don't use the DSA tool on a really tight front sight. It will break (the tool). Ask me how I know.

Yep, broke mine on a frozen G1 front sight.

ratas calientes
June 17, 2002, 09:06
My DSA front sight tool is still working - but I have not yet had a really tight front sight.

So, what happens when they break - do the pins shear off?

Ratas

idsubgun
June 17, 2002, 09:51
Originally posted by ratas calientes
So, what happens when they break - do the pins shear off?

Ratas

Mine sheared one pin, almost off.

m1shooter
June 17, 2002, 11:04
It explodes...
lol

KY23
June 17, 2002, 13:42
Derby Fals fixed me up. He heated the sight up and moved without a problem.

He also helped me headspace my FAL and turn it into a carbine. Very nice guy.