PDA

View Full Version : L1A1 Front sight question

Ronin6.8
July 25, 2017, 18:47
So... I removed the front sight post for paint (great ideal right) and neglected to get a measurement "FAILED":facepalm:
Was wondering if there was a standard starting point? Measurement? A Thereabouts?
I really have some good neighbor down range and want to keep it that way :biggrin:

Danielsand
July 26, 2017, 09:05
Whenever sights on a weapon are removed (ANY weapon), the weapon needs to be sighted in again. There is no way around it.

A trip to nearest shooting range is in order (what a wonderful excuse!). 'Honey,....I'll be gone for the afternoon, have to sight in my rifle. It'll take a while.' :devil:

Ronin6.8
July 26, 2017, 16:44
Thanks Danielsan
I'll tell the wife that you said it was the rule lol
I was hoping that I could get someone to take a scale and measure what they where getting, just to save time.

Riddbits
July 26, 2017, 17:24
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. They're adjustable for a reason. With a L1A1, I screw it in about flush with the top of the hole in the gas block sight ears. Just enough that you could see a sliver of light over the top of the sight blade from the side of the rifle through the sight ears. Fire three rounds (never go off of just one) and adjust up or down.

Have fun at the range.

Ronin6.8
July 26, 2017, 19:21
Excellent info Riddbits, just recently had it painted, and still treating it like a new born baby lol

NZ L1A1 Collector
July 26, 2017, 19:27
0.465 in. above the top of the Gas Block according to a gauge I have.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p236/nzl1a1collector/Accessories/Armourers/FSSG_zpsydqzrhdz.jpg

Ronin6.8
July 26, 2017, 19:44
A GAUGE...:bow: never seen one before, now that is way cool!
Thanks NZ L1A1 collector

tac-40
July 26, 2017, 21:40
To keep your neighbors peaceful, start at 25 yds to determine zero. Bullet strike should be a little less than the distance between the center of the bore and top of foresight. Adjust as needed. Move to 50 yds and repeat. Then out to 100 yds and finalize everything.