PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Difference?

2ifbyC
June 16, 2002, 13:39
Does anyone have pics of bipod and non-bipod barrels? Just received my first Imbel kit and got it stripped down (thanks to ya'll). I had hoped that I could put a bipod on it but it looks as though it's only cut for the sling swivel. How far offbase am I?

Thanks in advance!

W.E.G.
June 16, 2002, 14:46
The IMBEL-kit barrels are "non-bipod-cut."

You can install a bipod in the groove for the sling swivel.

If you still want a swivel, and a bipod, just install an Uncle Mike's "quick-detach" barrel band ahead of the bipod. Get the one that is supposed to fit Marlin .357 magnum rifles.

ratas calientes
June 16, 2002, 18:29
I hate to disagree with Master Gary, but of my two IMBEL Grade 3 kits, one is bipod cut, and the other is not. I have no idea how common the bipod cut is, however.

Ratas

ps - edited Monday to change "kit" to "cut" - RC

Jen
June 16, 2002, 19:26
The bipod cut on the Imbel kits runs around 3 out of 10 kits approx.

On the Imbel kits most of the bipod cut barrels had Non-Bipod cut handguards where the non-bipod cut barrels had bipod cut handguards.

Yeah, it's a little odd. My assumption is that the barrels are from different shipments / orders and perhaps may just have been what was on hand at Imbel when they were trying to fill orders.

2ifbyC
June 17, 2002, 07:13
So I take it that the above pic with the single 'ring' is the non-bipod cut barrel. Anyone have a photo of a bipod barrel?

Sorry for the questions but I couldn't find pics of the differences.

BTW, this FAL venture sure is FUN! There's so much to learn and this site and its members are awesome. I'm slowly but surely collecting the equipment and tools to be a true FALaholic. After building many ARs, this is a nice chance of pace.

Again, thanks!

withergyld
June 17, 2002, 08:34
I stole this fron the DSA wab site :D
http://www.dsarms.com/images/bblargentine.gif

ratas calientes
June 17, 2002, 09:02
2ifbyC -
Definitely funner than getting a root canal! - RC