PDA

View Full Version : L1A1 upgrade thoughts

jlo82585
July 24, 2017, 12:03
hey guys so pending a successful test this upcoming weekend I am looking into several modifications to my new L1A1 but seeing as how i'm very green when it comes to these rifles I need some tips and advice for what I would like to do.

1- butt-stock replacement, being a inch pattern lower I see my options are very limited, in fact all I am able to find is milsurp stocks. does no one make a modern polymer stock for the inch pattern rifles? same question applies to the pistol grip.

2- muzzle device, My current rifle is non threaded with a slit cut into the barrel at the end. I am looking into threading this and would like to thread it in 5/8 24 but from what I have read the barrel diameter isn't large enough for that. If that's the case and i'm forced with a 9/16th muzzle device what one do you recommend? the rifle already has low recoil but I would like as little as possible.

3- hand guards, the cheap plastic looks good but is terrible at heat soaking, I don't mind the aluminum rails but don't necessarily want to add much weight to it. Does anyone know if Magpul plans to make hand guards for it or if there are any other hand guards made from modern polymer?

4- trigger, I know its a milsurp rifle so its not going to be great but does anyone sell after market upgraded trigger kits? all I seem to find online are instructions on how to polish them and I see the plunger system as being the biggest culprit.

finally, what are the opinions on the top cover rail/hand-guard rail? has anyone ever bought the el cheapo AIM sports models and are they any good?

thanks in advance.

308/223shooter
July 24, 2017, 14:37
For the stock, you're stuck with MilSurp, which is what I prefer anyway.

For the Muzzle device, you've plenty options. For a stock one, with "better" accuracy potential, there's the Canadian version. You can buy a thread adapter for the 5/8 if you want.

Hand guards, again, in my opinion only, the stock ones are the way to go.

Trigger kits are out there, however I've found that with the correct lube and practice you can get quite good with the original set. These were designed as a battle rifle, not a sniper or target rifle.

For a scope mounted dust cover, I prefer the DSA cover. It's solid, has a way to accept the DSA brass catcher, and doesn't require removal to clean your weapon.

jlo82585
July 24, 2017, 16:31
For the stock, you're stuck with MilSurp, which is what I prefer anyway. i'm not a huge fan of the plastic, its pretty cheap feeling, plus mine is all beat up, but I did find these with the emblems still on them and this is tempting http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/store/store-l1a1-lower/store-l1a1-lower-furniture-assy.jpg

For the Muzzle device, you've plenty options. For a stock one, with "better" accuracy potential, there's the Canadian version. You can buy a thread adapter for the 5/8 if you want. well accuracy isn't really my concern its more to make a gun that my nephews are not scared to shoot, i don't mind keeping a stock look but what muzzle device is good at mitigating recoil?

Hand guards, again, in my opinion only, the stock ones are the way to go. and again I like the stock look but the cheap plastic heats up too much in the sun, are the DSA polymer/fiberglass ones any good?

Trigger kits are out there, however I've found that with the correct lube and practice you can get quite good with the original set. These were designed as a battle rifle, not a sniper or target rifle. yeah, whats the best lubricant you have found to get some of the grit out of the trigger

For a scope mounted dust cover, I prefer the DSA cover. It's solid, has a way to accept the DSA brass catcher, and doesn't require removal to clean your weapon. cool that's the one I was looking at, not too excited as I actually like the look of the original dust cover but this gal needs an optic.

308/223shooter
July 24, 2017, 17:06
The Maynal hand gaurds won't melt like the U.S. ones might. You could do a wood set, which will add a bit of heft and help a bit with felt recoil. As to a brake on the muzzle, the DSA one seems to work well. Don't discount the set you have a pic of as cheap, the stuff is quite tough.

Thorack
July 24, 2017, 17:31
Well,

The NZ SAS tried this when the turned the last of their SLRs into DMR's. What they came up with was a DSA railed top cover and DSA railed hand guards with a huge suppressor and an ACOG on the top cover.

These were used for a few years in the beginning of the Afghan war then retired for an AR-10 type rifle.

I went one better then the SAS guns and used the VLTOR hand guards and an extended DSA topcover for a full pic rail on the top.

You could use the F1 flash hider for a shorter rifle.

Thorack

jlo82585
July 24, 2017, 18:38
okay here's where i'm at so far,

but stock and pistol grip are going to have to stay since the stock i really wanted is collapsible and without a PARA configuration im restricted to this weird thing

https://www.fab-defense.com/en/category-buttstocks/id-1582/m4-collapsible-buttstock-system-for-fn-fal.html

I will probably keep the stock hand-guards unless magpul makes a set for the FAL in the future (since most magpul hand-guards already look like they were pulled off a FAL) as I am too cheap to spring for those VLTOR ones.

I will probably just get the DSarms brake since Its cheap and going to 5/8th thread with an adapter just seems like it eventually would be a failure point.

and thank you guys for your input, if nothing else you guys make me actually think through the pros and cons instead of me just impulse buying things ( like I almost did with a metric lower)

no promises I wont get drunk and paint it in rhodesian camo though...

Danielsand
July 26, 2017, 09:22
no promises I wont get drunk and paint it in rhodesian camo though...

I resent this comment!:wink:

You have a great rifle,......AS IS. It works. Forget about tacticool crap. Why DSA brake? Why not original L1A1 flash hider? Recoil reducing brake? What recoil? Scopes? Rails? Flashlights? How about toilet paper holder (when somebody starts shooting BACK at you, and you shit yourself!).

FAL (in ANY configuration!) will never be a "sniper rifle". We (the people that read these boards, and consider ourselves "enthusiasts") will never be "snipers" either. FAL (L1A1) does play it's role VERY well, ....just as it is. With iron sights. It's more accurate than the "minute of man". It has VERY manageable recoil. And if you ever have to shoot something other than paper, your intended target WILL be most likely moving. FAL will hit a man (any part of the body) just fine. If you ever saw what 7.62 NATO does to the human flesh (I did), you would forget about tacticool stuff, and train with the rifle as is, use it as intended, it will be a great tool to have. Once you hit someone with 7.62,......they WILL lose any will to fight,.....trust me, regardless of which part of the body you hit them at.

That's it. It's a tool after all,....not a "toy", not the "object of worship", or "obsession" (well,.....it seems to be for some people on this board).