PDA

View Full Version : CHF 18", Rifle Gas System, I Like!

ByronF
July 23, 2017, 21:01
Second outing with this rifle. First time out my dogtown bullets disintegrated en route to the target. This time was shooting 60-gr ballistic tips. Mild starting load only gave 2700 fps but accuracy was good. Didnt shoot a lot of groups, but managed 1.5" at 200 yd a couple of times. Thats good for me. This configuration is a smooth shooter. The SSA-E trigger was also as great as all the reviews, though not sure its so much better than triggers for $100 less. But the money is spent so I'm not gonna waste any precious regret over it.

My reading of the interweb suggests the Ramshot TAC shoots better with heavier charges. I have plenty of room to turn up the heat. Was usinf 23.5 gr, which is near mid range for 223. Lots more leg room with 5.56 load data. I see no reason to punish my brass but I will load up next 40 rd with 24.5 gr and see how it goes.

hueyville
July 24, 2017, 11:57
TAC likes to be run closer to top of charts than bottom. If loading varmint loads try some 50/52 (designed to handle 3,000+ fps) and 69/70 grain bullets. Glad you figured out issue quickly. Later if build a real target rifle can swap the Geissele trigger to it and then massage the factory single stage and reinstall. Assume rifle came with a milspec single stage and you swapped the Geissele in. If want, can mail me your milspec trigger, will square and polish all mating surfaces on my Power Custom hammer & Sear jig then mail back and pay shipping to return. Basically a trigger job for cost of a stamp then can choose the $10 spring kit you want. That way next rifle have trigger totally ready to go without wait or cost. According to spring combination can expect a crisp 2.5 to 3.5 pound pull.

oleblu72
July 24, 2017, 15:25
TAC likes to be run closer to top of charts than bottom. If loading varmint loads try some 50/52 (designed to handle 3,000+ fps) and 69/70 grain bullets. Glad you figured out issue quickly. Later if build a real target rifle can swap the Geissele trigger to it and then massage the factory single stage and reinstall. Assume rifle came with a milspec single stage and you swapped the Geissele in. If want, can mail me your milspec trigger, will square and polish all mating surfaces on my Power Custom hammer & Sear jig then mail back and pay shipping to return. Basically a trigger job for cost of a stamp then can choose the $10 spring kit you want. That way next rifle have trigger totally ready to go without wait or cost. According to spring combination can expect a crisp 2.5 to 3.5 pound pull.

Hey Huey have you tried the PSA enhanced $29.95 ( when on sale ) trigger and if you have what are your thoughts ? Sorry I don't mean to crash your thread Byron.

Mark

hueyville
July 25, 2017, 05:43
Yes, have several of the PSA enhanced triggers. Almost any milspec trigger comes off the jig "good to go". Right now best deal on milspec triggers are Colt triggers at CDNN. Amazing how many SIG and Colt AR 15 parts they run through their web store. If they don't name parts manufacturer assume it's chinese. If say it's name brand, will arrive in proper packaging with proper markings. Have big pile of SIG uppers and carbon fiber A2 stocks along with Colt triggers of late. Reason I stated the trigger proof mark thread. The PSA, AR Stoner and ALG are all the same trigger. Buy whichever is cheapest day you need it, when see one on good sale double down.

oleblu72
July 25, 2017, 10:49
Yes, have several of the PSA enhanced triggers. Almost any milspec trigger comes off the jig "good to go". Right now best deal on milspec triggers are Colt triggers at CDNN. Amazing how many SIG and Colt AR 15 parts they run through their web store. If they don't name parts manufacturer assume it's chinese. If say it's name brand, will arrive in proper packaging with proper markings. Have big pile of SIG uppers and carbon fiber A2 stocks along with Colt triggers of late. Reason I stated the trigger proof mark thread. The PSA, AR Stoner and ALG are all the same trigger. Buy whichever is cheapest day you need it, when see one on good sale double down.

Thanks Huey. But how is the trigger the way you receive it from PSA without working on it?

Mark

fnogger
July 25, 2017, 11:15
Thanks Huey. But how is the trigger the way you receive it from PSA without working on it?

Mark

Just got an AR with the EPT trigger in it last week.

No take up, no real over travel, crisp, but heavy. A lot like my 10/22 target trigger (NOT a BX unit - worked on by a 'smith) but much heavier. No pull gauge unfortunately :(.

Happy I spent the extra $20 to get the 20" barrel (vs 18) and EPT trigger vs basic. The $20 price difference was a complete rifle (which I got) vs. a complete lower and a complete upper. Only differences that I can find on the specs are the EPT trigger and 20" vs 18" barrel.

hueyville
July 25, 2017, 18:04

Mark

Trigger is slightly better than non plated milspec trigger as lubricity properties of the plating reduces friction and corrosion. Add a 3.5 J.P. Enhanced Reliability spring kit and it's a 3.5 pound trigger on the nose. Every trigger I install gets squared and polished, have the tools, super easy to do and knocks another half pound of pull off. That said, the PSA Enhansed, AR Stoner and ALG are same freaking trigger. Colt basic trigger is same as well all share two identical proof marks and a third that signifies which vemdor manufacturing contractor who makes them sold it to for final marketing.

oleblu72
July 26, 2017, 11:42
Trigger is slightly better than non plated milspec trigger as lubricity properties of the plating reduces friction and corrosion. Add a 3.5 J.P. Enhanced Reliability spring kit and it's a 3.5 pound trigger on the nose. Every trigger I install gets squared and polished, have the tools, super easy to do and knocks another half pound of pull off. That said, the PSA Enhansed, AR Stoner and ALG are same freaking trigger. Colt basic trigger is same as well all share two identical proof marks and a third that signifies which vemdor manufacturing contractor who makes them sold it to for final marketing.

Thanks Huey. Yeah I figured I would add a spring set to one these triggers. So is your trigger jig a home made affair and do you have any pics of it?

Mark

hueyville
July 27, 2017, 06:51
Power Custom Series 2. With hammer and sear jig, stoning fixture(s) for guns of choice, stoning kit, stone holder, hammer/sear test fitting blocks and all the blind your over $300 into the kit but if do lots of triggers pays for itself on third or fourth rifle. By time set up for 1911's, 10/22's, SIG's and more will have a neat little thousand dollar pile of widgets but all your guns have sweet triggers and cost to set up for each different gun is less than cost of one custom trigger for that gun once you have the base machine and stones. Why I offer to do for free to friends, it's a stiff entry cost if just do a trigger on occasion. Did two AR triggers yesterday and mailed out for free.

http://www.crowderinc.com/CoolAR15%20Trigger%20Customization%20001.html

oleblu72
July 27, 2017, 10:16
Thanks for the link Huey. I'd like to have one of your Hemis but that's what I need another project.

Mark

hueyville
July 27, 2017, 11:19
Thanks for the link Huey. I'd like to have one of your Hemis but that's what I need another project.

Mark

Why am sold my hot rod, steam engine collection, antique tractor collection and going to let go of warehouse of Mopar and Harley parts. Time grows shorter every day and now that back is shot have to pay people to fix my big stuff. Have a hydraulic cylinder needing rebuilt for six months. Everyone wants $600 or more but takes $150 in parts and three hours labor so truck is sitting till I either man up and fix or break down and pay.

I am looking forward to turning website into a real hobby. Negotiating to have a third party company scan several thousand slides and convert VHS, Mini VHS and Digital Tape video all to DVD's in formats can use without doing it all myself. Have a top line consumer film scanner, top line professional film scanner and box to tether VCR and Digital Video Camera to computer and convert but started the work, did the math and to do all myself manually is over a years time based on 40 hour weeks. Have 1,000 hours of ski video and thousands of climbing photos never seen that are worthy climbs not counting travel, guns and foreign military. South American troops like to pose with hardware for tourists. Somewhere have slides of me holding a gold plated AK presented to Fidel Castro that ended up in private museum. Offered the curator $100 bill to let me play with it and out of the case it came. My guess is $100 U.S. was a weeks pay or more to let the Gringo hold a rifle.

If want, really will square and polish a trigger, mail then you send me yours to replace all at no charge. Will drop my favorite spring kit in for $10 which is cost. You won't miss a day without a trigger. You can do similar job by putting some lapping compound on mating surfaces of trigger parts, cycle about 50 times, remove, clean super well and reassemble with spring kit of choice. Avoid super light hammer springs. I can go under 3.0 pounds every time if drop tension on hammer spring but one failure to ignite primer due to light strike may be that time where gun working is life or death. Doing trigger jobs at LGS and for myself has me well practiced. The CCEFT at $59.99 is a regular service offered at LGS. They take them in and I cruise by and knock them out. Owner would not consider till shot unmodified stock rifle then had me work it over and take it back out. If Rock River wasn't $100 trigger currently we would be charging more. Fixing gas systems, trouble uppers and doing triggers is a joy for me. More the merrier, only offer free to Files members if sent by mail. Just putting in a spring kit then working trigger a couple hundred cycles will mate surfaces well unless its way out of spec. Have seen some of the most out of square sears in past few months than past decade.

oleblu72
July 27, 2017, 14:44
Gives me something to think about Huey how are you at Browning Hi Power trigger and what kind of Mopar parts are you looking to get rid of?

Mark

hueyville
July 28, 2017, 07:37
High Powers are hinky and require having the frame to trial fit and test as work parts. That means it's an FFL deal and owner of LGS doesn't want to get too deep into triggers that all require calling me in. Most of what they do are parts kit swaps but the milspec AR trigger is popular. Right now have a couple Hemis and three 70's vintage NOS 727 transmissions.

oleblu72
July 28, 2017, 09:32
Ok thanks Huey.

Mark