PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tube Roll Pin

Ramone
July 23, 2017, 18:29
I have no idea how it came out, but I need a roll pin to keep the gas tube from turning freely. What size do I need to get?

OLDMANPBK
July 23, 2017, 18:41
From GP's book, 5/64dia. X 13/32 long. It's a solid pin.

hkshooter
July 23, 2017, 18:57
Charging handle lug is the same pin, I believe, should you have an extra. As said, the pin is solid, not a roll pin.

I've never tried to coat hanger idea though I see it mentioned often. All the wire coat hangers I've ever seen appear too be to large of a wire to fit the hole.

OLDMANPBK
July 23, 2017, 19:02
Oddly enough I just measured some coat hangers. I found one that was just about right, .080 vs. .078. Thanks burtman. I learn something new every day.

meltblown
July 23, 2017, 19:46
Charging handle lug is the same pin, I believe, should you have an extra. As said, the pin is solid, not a roll pin.

No it's not. CH pin is shorter a tad.

Ramone
July 23, 2017, 21:12
Oddly enough, I tried a several coat hangers, but one was too small, and the other too large. I'll keep digging around and see what I can find.

gunplumber
July 24, 2017, 07:52
For whatever reason, 5/64 pins seem uncommon - nothing from Grainger, McMaster, Fastenal, etc. I ended up finding a box at a small company out of CA.

richbug
July 24, 2017, 08:17
cut the shank off a drill bit

Ramone
July 24, 2017, 09:08
I have a metric barrel on a front end, so I'm going to use the roll pin out of that one for now.

Texgunner
July 24, 2017, 09:29
cut the shank off a drill bit

+1. That worked well for me too.

Mosin Guy
July 24, 2017, 12:15
Go to your Local hobby shop that sells Music Wire and buy some of the 5/64./.078 diameter music wire http://hobbyhome.ca/product/music-wire-36-078-15/

Ramone
July 24, 2017, 13:51
No drill bits I have would work, so I found another interesting solution. I went through all my hex keys, and found one that was a perfect fit, cut it, and it went right in with some, but not a lot of resistance. The bonus is the gas tube is locked up solid, and a double check of the gas hole shows it clear, so I should be good.
This should solve the gas issue I was having.

J. Armstrong
July 24, 2017, 14:37
The coat hanger works fine, but you have to find one of the older "flimsy" hangers of thin wire. I've done it often, one hanger will last ya forever provided the better half doesn't throw it away when ya ain't lookin". AMHIK :facepalm:

I bet you could also find the right size brad or thin nail and cut to length. I've done that with the rear sight stop pin and at a glance that looks like about the same size.

Stoney
July 24, 2017, 18:25
just hide the coat hanger in you parts bin, she'll never look there :biggrin:

J. Armstrong
July 24, 2017, 18:39
just hide the coat hanger in you parts bin, she'll never look there :biggrin:

Tried that but it kept getting tangled with slings or barrels or other stuff, invariably ended up on the floor. The female accomplice of the period was a neat feak..........:mad:

The current lady is much more tolerant of male messiness, which is why she has lasted so long :biggrin: Plus I have stashed spare hangers in numerous dark places, anticipating that they will one day become collectors items and I will be rich :whistling: