View Full Version : K 98 S/42G Value ?

krisincolfax
July 23, 2017, 11:03
I'm considering selling my Russian capture , non matching numbers
K98 S/42G , would like to know what it's worth , I have more detailed
pictures I can post . Thanks , Kris

1911Ron
July 24, 2017, 17:12
Nice wood! I bought my RC 3-4 years ago for $500 and was told that i got an ok deal, not a steal nor did i get ripped off. They seem to be going up in value as non captured K98s are harder to find and an RC K98 is becoming more desirable. What something will fetch is dependent on one locality some places are higher or lower depending on where you are.

gew98
July 24, 2017, 17:45
Having collected 98k's starting 30+ years ago I am a bit jaded . That is import rebuilds like the russian things are on the low scale of collectability. And value. Is what it is. I personally would not pay near $500 for ANY russian rebuild 98k unless it had SS marklings that were legit. I found two SS marked gew98 to 98k conversions in those early imports that were not reboogered... and one 98k with SS proofs that was a russki rebooger. I bought the first two for under $100 as they were a rusty greasy mess. The third I paid $200 for . This was of course 19 + years ago. If you find a code/maker collector not concerned with quality or originality you can ask what you will.
I got out of 98k collecting as the fraud got too much a part of the "hobby" and the money on anything 'nazi' related became a religion upon itself to the point of stupidity as those with low IQ's simply focused on the original & fake nazi markings to more or less stroke themselves over their awesome purchase(s) . I've turned more of these russian reboogers into excellent deer rifles as most are in such conditions to hardly merit collector value. No luftampts , No SS depot markings , No HzA depot markings...and these run of the mill russki reboogers are just shellaced shooters.... that is if they have a bore of any count. Get what you can from the rubes while you can.

krisincolfax
July 24, 2017, 20:48
Having collected 98k's starting 30+ years ago I am a bit jaded . That is import rebuilds like the russian things are on the low scale of collectability. And value. Is what it is. I personally would not pay near $500 for ANY russian rebuild 98k unless it had SS marklings that were legit. I found two SS marked gew98 to 98k conversions in those early imports that were not reboogered... and one 98k with SS proofs that was a russki rebooger. I bought the first two for under $100 as they were a rusty greasy mess. The third I paid $200 for . This was of course 19 + years ago. If you find a code/maker collector not concerned with quality or originality you can ask what you will.
I got out of 98k collecting as the fraud got too much a part of the "hobby" and the money on anything 'nazi' related became a religion upon itself to the point of stupidity as those with low IQ's simply focused on the original & fake nazi markings to more or less stroke themselves over their awesome purchase(s) . I've turned more of these russian reboogers into excellent deer rifles as most are in such conditions to hardly merit collector value. No luftampts , No SS depot markings , No HzA depot markings...and these run of the mill russki reboogers are just shellaced shooters.... that is if they have a bore of any count. Get what you can from the rubes while you can.

I appreciate your input , not quite sure what your getting at ...? I'm not attempting
to miss- represent the rifle , I purchased it around 1995 or so , may be later , from
Big Five , It is A CAI import , just looking for a idea of fair market value , I was going
to post it in the market place here first , however if it will only bring 200 I'll sit on it
for a few more years .

croftonaviation
July 24, 2017, 20:58
If that gun was brought into the shop where I work, I would put it on the floor for around the $550 mark. It would sell in the first 48 hours. I sold a very nice m-48 yugo the other day with all the accessories for $425. The wood alone is special and makes your rifle pop. The truth is there is a huge demand for WWII rifles (with the exceptions of arisakas and carcanos). The days of good surplus are over. I would not take less than $400 and I think you could get more, I know I could.

Good luck

Tom

justashooter
July 25, 2017, 09:11
I got 600 for a beautiful Yugo capture kar98 last spring. everything ww2 is up. too many kids playing video games these days.

krisincolfax
July 25, 2017, 11:06
Thanks guys for the information , another question ; are the numbers
3368 on the barrel and receiver factory or import ? , if factory I would
assume that the two have never been apart , also the barrel has some
light pitting , I need to figure out a percentage number for that and try
to get some good pictures of the barrel , anybody know of a good
technique to do that ? maybe a bore light or lighted background of
of some type ?

Glashaus
July 25, 2017, 20:50
Thanks guys for the information , another question ; are the numbers
3368 on the barrel and receiver factory or import ? , if factory I would
assume that the two have never been apart , also the barrel has some
light pitting , I need to figure out a percentage number for that and try
to get some good pictures of the barrel , anybody know of a good
technique to do that ? maybe a bore light or lighted background of
of some type ?

3368 on barrel and receiver ring, factory. Pitting inside the barrel, bore brush, bore cleaner, shoot it.

Gazz
July 26, 2017, 06:47
That is a handsome stock but looks like it was over sanded. I would just put it on Gunbroker starting at 1 cent and let the buyers go at it. Somebody will pay a bit more for that wood and there is likely to be several that feel that way.
And yes, the barrel and receiver number that match are most likely factory.

krisincolfax
July 26, 2017, 10:08
looks like it was over sanded.

Guilty , I had planned to keep the rifle when purchased , so I decided to
sand off the shellac and discovered the tiger stripe , although I don't
think that I over sanded it . the steel butt plate was not on the rifle when
I took the pictures , also need to get a cleaning rod for it .

davedude
July 29, 2017, 15:27
Damn look at that wood! Sweet!
I sold all my RC K98's last year in a lot. All 1941 date codes. My eyes are bad and I did not want to alter them to put optics on. Plus the bolt handle is on the wrong side and I am getting tired of that. They went to a good home. I threw in some other stuff with the deal and it worked out to be a little less than $500 each for the buyer. He was happy. :wink: