PDA

View Full Version : Ruger redhawk

spider991
July 22, 2017, 20:47
Gents,

I want to get my 7 1/2 in barreled ruger redhawk cUT down to 5 in and maybe ported....I looked at magnaport but they are booked way out. Anyone recommend a competent gunsmith that can cut,crown my barrel and replace my front sight ?

MasterChief
July 23, 2017, 10:18
Can you send it back to Ruger and have the 5-1/2" barrel installed?

Porting might preclude the use of cast bullets which is mostly what I ever shoot in mine.

YMMV. Best wishes. Dave

http://www.fototime.com/6A433FFEE24B6A2/standard.jpg

spider991
July 23, 2017, 12:21
Yeah I called Ruger they do not do that kind of work anymore so I'm pretty much put to a gunsmith somewhere. I did not know you couldn't shoot cast bullets through magnaport or porting. I'm glad you said that cuz I shoot a lot of cast through mine. I'll just have to find some local that I can have cut the barrel down and refit the front sight.

MasterChief
July 24, 2017, 10:20
I rescind my comment on cast bullets in ported barrels. There seems to be a plurality of opinions that it's no big deal. Form your own opinion. Sorry for spouting off too quickly. Best wishes with your endeavor. Dave

spider991
July 24, 2017, 11:43
Dave,

Thanks for the help, seems like I'm going to have to cold call some smith's and google-fu some locals..

MasterChief
July 24, 2017, 13:31
You are welcome.

The Smiths don't know what the Redhawks understand. :)

gunshack
July 24, 2017, 19:53
I rescind my comment on cast bullets in ported barrels. There seems to be a plurality of opinions that it's no big deal. Form your own opinion. Sorry for spouting off too quickly. Best wishes with your endeavor. Dave

I would avoid it unless the rifling is relieved (counter-bored) in the area where the porting exists. Essentially you're turning the end of the barrel into a muzzle brake. Essentially reducing the length of the barrel. Essentially ruining a perfectly good barrel... YMMV.

abbynormal
July 25, 2017, 19:09
I had a used 7-1/2" SS .44 Redhawk cut for scope rings that was Magnaported. Shot the bejesus out of it with hard cast 240 gr SWC over 20 grains of W296.

Never had problem one with it. Had it for over 2 years and sold it just before deer season and made money on it!

Wouldn't hesitate to get another.

jhend170
July 26, 2017, 14:53
Sounds like more work and expense than just selling the longer and buying the shorter version would be, unless you have an emotional attachment to this particular wheel gun, but to each his own.

July 27, 2017, 04:57
http://www.reedercustomguns.com

try reeder custom guns

spider991
July 27, 2017, 20:31
Excellent thanks guys!