PDA

View Full Version : Nice Peruvian Mauser, 30-06 FN Redo

Bwana John
July 22, 2017, 11:13
I picked up a FN 1935 Peruvian Mauser (with the backwards safety) that was sent back to FN and rebarreled to 30-06 from the original 7.65 Mauser in the 50's

The receiver is marked 30, and has a small cut for the longer cartridge in the top of the receiver.

All metal matching numbers, but the stock force matched.

No import stamp, and the bore is new, I'm guessing redone and put into storage without reissue.

Glass smooth action, and very accurate, but the sights are very trying for old eyes.

I've owned and shot quite a few different 98's but this one shoots better than any other I have handled.

Now if I can find a super-short 16" barreled 30-06 Spanish-American Mauser in this condition....

Arby
July 22, 2017, 20:56
Glass smooth action, and very accurate, but the sights are very trying for old eyes.

I've owned and shot quite a few different 98's but this one shoots better than any other I have handled.

My father gave me one over 50 years ago. Great rifle, but like you, I have trouble with the sights given my aging eyes.

ftierson
July 22, 2017, 22:51
I picked up a FN 1935 Peruvian Mauser (with the backwards safety) that was sent back to FN and rebarreled to 30-06 from the original 7.65 Mauser in the 50's

The receiver is marked 30, and has a small cut for the longer cartridge in the top of the receiver.

All metal matching numbers, but the stock force matched.

No import stamp, and the bore is new, I'm guessing redone and put into storage without reissue.

Now if I can find a super-short 16" barreled 30-06 Spanish-American Mauser in this condition....

Just out of curiosity, was it rebarreled in .30-06, or was the original barrel just rechambered?

They are beautiful rifles...

Forrest

Bwana John
July 22, 2017, 23:14
Just out of curiosity, was it rebarreled in .30-06, or was the original barrel just rechambered?

They are beautiful rifles...

Forrest

Rebarreled. Apparently both sent back to FN and in country, with the FN redos being the more desirable .

The magazine was also lengthened, but used the same follower.

Best 98 Mauser trigger I have ever tried, standard 2 stage with No grityness, crisp let off, no overtravel, no bolt cocking piece movement.