PDA

View Full Version : "Powder" Blasting?

DuaneFrye
June 16, 2002, 10:51
Gcc mentions this in his ad in Marketplace for the unfinished OD stock sets. Is this different from bead blasting? Do you use the same orifice on the blasting gun? Is it better than bead blasting?What medium do you use and where do you get it?

'clees
June 16, 2002, 20:07
Sounds like one of the many "new" forms of media blasting that is being used today. It could be like the "soda" or plastic medias being used by auto refinishers. From what I have seen, it is a high volume, low pressure set up. The low pressure is easier on the material being blasted, but takes massive amounts of air to get the same effects. An example I remember seeing is a aluminum soda can with the paint blasted off at various depths, without any distortion to the can. I have tried to blast some green plastic G3 stock parts, and the results weren't very good. The plastic is really dulled by regular sand blasting. HTH

Ricketts
June 16, 2002, 21:00
I've been able to blast plastic with outstang results. Most folks hold the tip of the gun real close to the work--and this works well with steel. But doing plastic requires a really wide dispersion pattern. I set my gun discharge pressure at around 60 psi and hold the plastic in the left hand and the gun in the right. I hold them as far apart as I can reach and blast the plastic in 'waves'. My booth has a spotlight in it, so I reflect the light off of the plastic and blast until I don't see anything shiny--this helps to keep the finish even. Then, I take everything out and wash the parts in plain old soap and water to dislodge any dirt or grit left over. Comes out looking great!!

DuaneFrye
June 17, 2002, 09:28
Ricketts:

What media are you using? Sand? Beads?

I've got a small siphon unit from sears that I bought when I had a part time job there. I would imagine that this would be OK for small jobs. I had originally intended to use it in making a blasting cabinet.