View Full Version : I need a FAL smith

June 16, 2002, 06:47
I live in Orlando and I need a FAL gunsmith to look at this M444. Want to check head space and find out why it will not feed. Anybody know of a smith in Central Florida?

June 16, 2002, 07:10
Your 444 is probably under a warranty, why not send it back to the manufacturer or the service center ?

June 16, 2002, 07:24
I traded for it and was told it has a "cheek slapper" brake. I don't know what the warranty is but I'm the 2nd owner. Who made them anyway? Do they have a website?

June 16, 2002, 10:07
Go to www.cruffler.com for a description of the M444 under "a tale of two FAL's". Your cheek slapper is what they refer to as MRID (muzzle recoil intensification device) design on the muzzle brake.

June 16, 2002, 12:13
Hey Culb;
Anyone of the FAL board smiths can fixer up for you.
Sometimes it just cheaper & faster to send it out! Get a cheap-o hard case, which you probably will use over & over again:D
Thats what i did because all the Gunsmiths around here locally are either stupid, lazy or have way-to big heads to work on a FAL without asking big bucks:mad:
I fiddled around for months trying to get local help, that was nothing but a waste of time so OUT it went, I never would have got that service & price around here (LI, NY) Although I had a few Fal Members that wanted to help, I did'nt want to impose on thier generosity at the time.

June 16, 2002, 12:51
Hesse made the "cheek-slapper" muzzle brake, which IAI (the M-444 assembler in Liberty, TX - near Houston) put on the earlier rifles. The newer rifles have the improved Hesse (like mine) which has four rows of three ports each at the 10, 2, 4, and 8 o'clock positions. I think the cheek-slappers (that sounds kinky) have only two rows at 10 and 2 o'clock.

My M-444 shoots great without slapping me around. If you want the brake changed, either contact IAI or better yet, send it to one of the outstanding 'smiths here (Gunplumber at ARS, Derek at AZEX, etc.) to get it changed out.