PDA

View Full Version : Century c308

croftonaviation
July 10, 2017, 20:52
Anyone have one. We got a stack of them at work and they look pretty decent. I understand ptr is making the receivers for century. Any thoughts? I can pick one up (my cost) for $500 out the door.

Thanks

Tom

Cornpone
July 10, 2017, 22:45
Atlantic Firearms stopped carrying them so that should tell you something. The parts are used CETME and now they're at the bottom of the barrel. Save your money and buy a PTR-91. Buy me a beer later for steering you in the right direction.

kp2112
July 11, 2017, 13:04
For 500 OTD I might take a chance.

Honestly though the PTR91 GI is a nicer rifle, I have one of each. Paid 619 for the C308 and 900 for the PTR91 new.

If I was just looking into a CETME style rifle to play with nd move on, hard to get hurt for 500 unless it flat out doesnt work. Mine works, but thats about all I can say about it. The PTR looks like it will last a long time and is surprisingly accurate.

PARA FN FAL
July 11, 2017, 18:21
My experience with Century has been mostly good. Of the several rifles I have purchased from them only one Golani with canted gas block was sent back but everything else worked fine. Specifically one of the Cetme clones and one of the HK91 clones worked fine. I don't own either anymore but it wasn't because they had problems its because I just didn't like the rifle. However if you are looking to get a 308 battle type rifle its hard to go wrong for 500 bucks and you may still be able to find cheap mags for the rifle like 5 bucks each. I would take a chance particularly if you can cherry pick the best looking rifle in the shop.

djvdz66
July 24, 2017, 15:32
Save your money and buy a HK91

hkshooter
July 24, 2017, 17:39

Save even more money and buy a PTR. :wink:

12v71
July 24, 2017, 19:40
FWIW... I have a Century Cetme that doesn't miss a lick and has good welds to boot. All for 500 bucks. I may have just got lucky there. It could have gone the other way.

Black Blade
July 24, 2017, 22:22
Must be coming in to the online vendors now. Apparently some rebate offer on these. Haven't checked it out yet - Just got the video update from Classic:

https://youtu.be/BVsHubB2VE0

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BVsHubB2VE0?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Black Blade
July 24, 2017, 22:31
In our small(ish) Prepper-Survival Community the C308 is gaining some popularity. I have a HK91, PTR 91 and CETME so getting a C308 may e a bit of overkill at this point. But the reviews have been good:

The sales pitch:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WqqEdugP3Bg?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

VALMET
July 24, 2017, 22:44

While I love a pre-ban, 100% agree with hkshooter.

croftonaviation
July 25, 2017, 23:23
I appreciate the thoughts. As it turns out I guess I am going to invest my money into some more c&r stuff and just keep my m-1 for my go to rifle. Fwiw since starting this thread I have sold two of these and have had one positive report. The other guy only comes by once a month so time will tell. All of them (I sorted through them) seem to be better than the cetme of old that century did in the past.

Thanks, and as I hear more I will pass it on.

Tom

hansellhd
July 26, 2017, 14:11

Save even even more money and get a C308.

That's the kind of logic I don't follow.

The PTR91 is a nice Rifle for the money but it's not made like the original HK or license built Clone. (SAR3-SAR3/8) Many QC problems with the PTR product over the years, not so with the originals. Also the Hammer forged Barrels on the originals are far superior than anything PTR uses.

That being said If someone can get a C308 for < $500.00 I say go for it. I think it's a good Preper Rifle for someone on a Budget, just make sure to pick up some spare parts from RTG. (CETME survival kit) Of course one has to know that the C308 will never be the Equal of the PTR in quality, just as the PTR will never be the equal of the HK91. (at least not for me)

hansellhd
July 26, 2017, 14:22
I appreciate the thoughts. As it turns out I guess I am going to invest my money into some more c&r stuff and just keep my m-1 for my go to rifle. Fwiw since starting this thread I have sold two of these and have had one positive report. The other guy only comes by once a month so time will tell. All of them (I sorted through them) seem to be better than the cetme of old that century did in the past.

Thanks, and as I hear more I will pass it on.

Tom

I agree, the C308 is far and away better than the old "Black Widow" Century CETME. The best Century CETME Rifles were the early ones made in the St Albans plant before it burnt down. They were built off like new parts kits with a Cast Stainless Steel receiver and came with nice almost new wood stocks.

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a443/hansellhd/253a4659-f96c-4af7-88c7-536ec19f2290_zpsli72j6p8.jpg (http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/hansellhd/media/253a4659-f96c-4af7-88c7-536ec19f2290_zpsli72j6p8.jpg.html)

Flatfour
July 26, 2017, 15:04
and didn't have much luck so far.

I picked up my C308 from a local FFL a couple weeks ago, overall it looked pretty good, but then again I've not really handled many of this family of rifles, but the finish seems ok and the welds are clean. Wasn't excited about the feel of the safety and the rear sight appeared to be at a cant.

I finally took it out last night and found it to have some serious headspace issues. Flattened primers and a case separation below the neck. Called it quits. Got home, read about bolt gap etc, can get my .0015" feeler in there, .002" is a no go.

I've contacted Century, left a voicemail and doubled down by using there email contact us link. We'll see where this goes I guess.

hkshooter
July 26, 2017, 18:25
Save even even more money and get a C308.

That's the kind of logic I don't follow.

As compared to the Hk it's a much cheaper alternative that does the same thing. I know you are smart enough to know this and it doesn't need explained so are you looking for an argument? Because I don't see your point otherwise. My comment to save money was picking the PTR over the HK. Both would be excellent choices but for vastly different income levels.

The PTR91 is a nice Rifle for the money but it's not made like the original HK or license built Clone. (SAR3-SAR3/8) Many QC problems with the PTR product over the years, not so with the originals. Also the Hammer forged Barrels on the originals are far superior than anything PTR uses.

You are correct, PTR isn't made exactly like the HK. Not sure what your point is here, either. It's a clone of the HK, made in a similar fashion. Never claimed by PTR to be otherwise.
PTR had it's quality issues, yes, and by far and large they took care of those issues under warranty. Today it's a non issue.
Your comment about barrel quality compared to original HK is true but also a "well, duh!" moment.
I'm confused about the purpose of your comments but they seem centered around comparing the PTR to the C308 for the price.

If that's the case I'll say I'd gladly pay for a PTR built rifle over a Century mutt any day of the week, regardless of cost difference. PTR has built a solid reputation for an excellent value in an HK type rifle that costs 3 to 4 times less than the rifle it emulates.
Meanwhile, CAI has built a reputation for assembling mostly junk that may or may not work. Their warranty starts the day the piece leaves the factory and is often over before the piece sells, leaving the customer high and dry to pay for repair costs themselves.
All the above is common knowledge for most people who haven't been living under a rock for the last decade.

That being said If someone can get a C308 for < $500.00 I say go for it. I think it's a good Preper Rifle for someone on a Budget, just make sure to pick up some spare parts from RTG. (CETME survival kit) Of course one has to know that the C308 will never be the Equal of the PTR in quality, just as the PTR will never be the equal of the HK91. (at least not for me)

I find it curious that you highlight the quality of the PTR here while above you seem to disregard it.
Surely I agree, if one can get a C308 for $500 or less, it's probably a good deal. Unless, of course, the rifle needs a serious repair. Repairs costs could very well put the price of owning the C308 well over the cost of owning the PTR and in the end, you'd still have a $500 rifle. Not wise.
The truth of the C308 is that it's built from left over CETME parts, the last CAI had covering the bottom of the rifle kit barrel. PTR receivers are used and the CETME/PTR mutt was born. This doesn't make it a crap rifle, the fact that CAI built it does. If someone picks one up super cheap and it works, good for them.
My advice is buyer beware or simply double the price and get a PTR with a known positive reputation and new rifle warranty that means something.

hkshooter
July 26, 2017, 18:28
I agree, the C308 is far and away better than the old "Black Widow" Century CETME. The best Century CETME Rifles were the early ones made in the St Albans plant before it burnt down. They were built off like new parts kits with a Cast Stainless Steel receiver and came with nice almost new wood stocks.

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a443/hansellhd/253a4659-f96c-4af7-88c7-536ec19f2290_zpsli72j6p8.jpg (http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/hansellhd/media/253a4659-f96c-4af7-88c7-536ec19f2290_zpsli72j6p8.jpg.html)

Quoted for truth. CAI has at times been known to build a quality rifle. Rare but true and these cast receiver CETME rifles were among their finest. I was actively looking for one of these with the original threaded barrel and FH just a few months ago. Since then I've decided to build one from an APEX kit and a correct RTG flat.

hansellhd
July 26, 2017, 20:09
As compared to the Hk it's a much cheaper alternative that does the same thing. I know you are smart enough to know this and it doesn't need explained so are you looking for an argument? Because I don't see your point otherwise. My comment to save money was picking the PTR over the HK. Both would be excellent choices but for vastly different income levels.

You are correct, PTR isn't made exactly like the HK. Not sure what your point is here, either. It's a clone of the HK, made in a similar fashion. Never claimed by PTR to be otherwise.
PTR had it's quality issues, yes, and by far and large they took care of those issues under warranty. Today it's a non issue.
Your comment about barrel quality compared to original HK is true but also a "well, duh!" moment.
I'm confused about the purpose of your comments but they seem centered around comparing the PTR to the C308 for the price.

If that's the case I'll say I'd gladly pay for a PTR built rifle over a Century mutt any day of the week, regardless of cost difference. PTR has built a solid reputation for an excellent value in an HK type rifle that costs 3 to 4 times less than the rifle it emulates.
Meanwhile, CAI has built a reputation for assembling mostly junk that may or may not work. Their warranty starts the day the piece leaves the factory and is often over before the piece sells, leaving the customer high and dry to pay for repair costs themselves.
All the above is common knowledge for most people who haven't been living under a rock for the last decade.

I find it curious that you highlight the quality of the PTR here while above you seem to disregard it.
Surely I agree, if one can get a C308 for $500 or less, it's probably a good deal. Unless, of course, the rifle needs a serious repair. Repairs costs could very well put the price of owning the C308 well over the cost of owning the PTR and in the end, you'd still have a $500 rifle. Not wise.
The truth of the C308 is that it's built from left over CETME parts, the last CAI had covering the bottom of the rifle kit barrel. PTR receivers are used and the CETME/PTR mutt was born. This doesn't make it a crap rifle, the fact that CAI built it does. If someone picks one up super cheap and it works, good for them.
My advice is buyer beware or simply double the price and get a PTR with a known positive reputation and new rifle warranty that means something.

My point is very simple.

HK>PTR>C308

That's it, no need to overcomplicate the matter. Also you seem to consider the PTR the equal to the HK (at least in field use) I don't. My HK91 & SAR3/8 are more accurate than either of my PTR91 Rifles, also the originals are easer to charge than the clones. That's been my experience. If you or others have a different experience that's fine, I can only speak for myself.

As for the C308 I personally would never own one. If someone is on a budget and can't afford a PTR91 then yes go for the C308. (as long as they are available for <$500)

All that being said I still advice anyone in the Market looking for a Roller delayed Blowback rifle to strongly consider the HK91 or it's licensed cousin the SAR3-SAR3/8 If they have the resources (1.5K-3K) to get one. They are worth the Extra money Guys.

medicmike
July 26, 2017, 20:38
For five Benjamins you certainly could turn it if you didn't like it

hansellhd
July 26, 2017, 20:39

+1

Agreed.

hkshooter
July 26, 2017, 21:05
Also you seem to consider the PTR the equal to the HK (at least in field use) I don't.

I honestly have not used both rifles enough in the field to be able to compare aside from a few hundred rounds from the bench. My original JLD and my subsequent PTR91K were both well built and as accurate as both of my SAR8 rifles. But that's all I got. For my use and purposes they accomplished the same tasks equally.

I absolutely agree that if one has the capability to obtain the HK/SAR3/8 rifle then he should do so over any other maker aside from possibly the preban FMP rifles, which are also very well made contract rifles.

Herr Walther
July 27, 2017, 15:32
After my horrible experience with a Century built clone I would be very hesitant to by another.

They might be better than they were in 2000 or so, but I would not take another chance with my money.

Once bitten, twice shy.

Bill8333
July 27, 2017, 22:13
I bought one when they had the rebate so for 439.00 it's a lot of fun to shoot, I love it. :love:

Bill

superjc
August 05, 2017, 23:56
Why take a chance where there are many many new or gently used PTR-91's for sale on the forums for $800-900 with tons of accessories. Buy once, cry once. PTR has long since worked out the bugs, Century is still... Century.

I've owned two of their guns, a "new" C91 with oval-shaped pushpin holes (gun fell apart when I shot it) and an "arsenal refinished" SKS with a bore that got an "F" on the bullet test... keyholed at 25 yards.

Johnaski
September 08, 2017, 20:49
My C308 has given me no problems once I removed the extracter and spring and cleaned out a bunch of black gunk that was causing it to extract the fired cases only half-way or stove-pipe the empty cases. it's been fine ever since , no problems with brass or steel cased ammo.

It's well built; receiver and barrel are made by PTR, btw.