PDA

View Full Version : Gas Block Removal Help?

LetMeBeFrank
July 10, 2017, 12:42
Hey guys I have a pic rail front gas block and I really don't like it. How do I remove this gas block? :confused:

Also, do I need any specific gas block to replace this one with or will any gas block work?

Here are some pictures:

http://i.imgur.com/ONSBitsl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/feVkTdZl.jpg

4x401
July 10, 2017, 14:51
Remove the cross pin in front of the handgard screw hole. Remove the gas system parts. Remove from sling swivel. Press off gas block. Replace with standard commonwealth gas block.

LetMeBeFrank
July 10, 2017, 14:54
So a press is needed for install and removal?

Trypcil
July 10, 2017, 14:58
GP., as I recall has done it with a hammer, and a piece of angle iron - putting one on would require a different approach - others will chime in!

LetMeBeFrank
July 10, 2017, 15:00
Thank you, I might have to find a gunsmith in Indy who can do it. I have just about every mechanics hand tool you can imagine but sadly no press.

sjohnson
July 10, 2017, 15:15
Before buying my own press, I was allowed to use the press at my local NAPA

meltblown
July 10, 2017, 16:18
I ground a piece of flat stock that would clear the gas regulator thread and put electrical tape around the end of the stock. Put the barrel muzzle against an oak stump and whacked it off. Getting a press collar around the edge is a little tough.

4markk
July 10, 2017, 17:08
I wouldn't remove it if I were you. They are bitch to remove while the barrel is attached to the receiver.

It is also a bitch properly installing the new block and properly timing it.

So, again, I wouldn't do it!!!!! YMMV

4x401
July 10, 2017, 22:24
So a press is needed for install and removal?

Thats the nice way to do it, yes. As said already, it can be done with a hammer if you are mechanically inclined. If you aren't, you better pass it to someone that is....and getting the new block timed right ain't for the faint of heart...:]

4x401
July 10, 2017, 22:30
Thank you, I might have to find a gunsmith in Indy who can do it. I have just about every mechanics hand tool you can imagine but sadly no press.

Be very, very, careful taking your Fal to the "Average" gunsmith that knows didly squat about the FAL......many, many, bad stories here about the butchery of many good rifles.

the gman
July 11, 2017, 10:41

I'd trade you an inch gas block for the Picatinny gas block straight across. I'll send you the inch block ahead of times as I just found one while cleaning up my desk at home... ;);) Desk was a little messy as I also found a Ruger Mk2 pistol, stripped AR upper and assorted other FAL/L1A1/gun parts... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

LMK: thegman1763@gmail.com