PDA

View Full Version : Top Current Producer's of Ak/Akm Rifles

KentuckyWelder
July 02, 2017, 23:59
Hello all!

This is my first official thread/post. I have been a long time reader but have never made it to actually posting anything.

At any rate, my question is : What are the current best produced Ak/Akm rifles?
I know the whole Bulgarian/Russsian and so on. But I am mostly seeing century builds, as well as Arsenal and DDI along with Atlantic Firearms builds and true custom builds.

The reason i ask is because I am not truly sold on century, im more of a battle rifle kind of guy and know my 7.62 NATO/.308 platforms well and I'm certain I would never settle with century building my G3/91 platform and have heard they have soft bolts and internal parts.

I'm not so much interested in "Boutique" builds or the custom shop as much as I am in the Robust, Ready to roll AK's whether they are stamped or milled.
I am wanting to stay away from the Romanian/Wasr's

I was hoping some of you all with plenty of experience could chime in on a good reliable middle of the road Ak.

I appreciate it guys

Thanks,
The KentuckyWelder

pre1989
July 03, 2017, 13:03
Right now

1. All china rifles are banned from import
2. All russian guns are now gone for now ..First Saigas now Vepers
3. WSAR10 etc from Romainin are better then they used to be but Century is cutting them down to push there crap
4.Aresenal guns are still good to go

Right now I would either pay the money and go true pre ban ie pre 1989 like China or FEG85M or post 89 pre 97 ie MAK90 etc ..Or get a Aresnal or WSAR10

KentuckyWelder
July 03, 2017, 14:19
Thanks pre1989!

That's about what I figured. I appreciate you're input. It's really been a struggle trying to find any concrete information about the current status of Ak rifles.

I am leaning more towards a Arsenal or a Pre ban at this point. I haven't ruled out some of the Polish builds but I haven't found out enough information on them concerning internal parts and etc.

Tuhlmann
July 03, 2017, 18:19
If you get an Arsenal you won't be disappointed. Plus you can shoot it like an AK deserves to be shot and not fee guilty about it, as you may with a preban.

Old Sarge
July 04, 2017, 09:41
Another vote for the Arsonal 107-R. Then the WASR 10. I have hand no issue with either.

Old Sarge

gunplumber
July 04, 2017, 09:59
I think the Arsenal 107 FR is the best value for a fighting rifle in 7.62. I own 9 104 FRs.

KentuckyWelder
July 04, 2017, 13:16
Thank you all so much!

I tried and did hours of research, but I really needed current first hand information! I appreciate the wealth of knowledge here!

With the ever changing market it is hard to keep track of who's making the best product, a fighting rifle is exactly what I'm looking for and after your alls feedback and my continued research I am certain my next rifle will be an Arsenal.

Happy Independence Day & Thank You to those of you that served our country!

pre1989
July 04, 2017, 17:09
Thank you all so much!

I tried and did hours of research, but I really needed current first hand information! I appreciate the wealth of knowledge here!

With the ever changing market it is hard to keep track of who's making the best product, a fighting rifle is exactly what I'm looking for and after your alls feedback and my continued research I am certain my next rifle will be an Arsenal.

Happy Independence Day & Thank You to those of you that served our country!

They are bringing in base Aresnal rifles for like 800 or 900 bucks now ..They don't have a folding stock but for the money great guns ..KVAR has them now and then

And we all are happy to help ..Happy fourth

Oh and for the fun

1968 was the first of the import bans .Small handguns and some miltary rifles were banned also import of full auto for civie sales ..The full auto AK in the countries that are true AK ie factory made come from this time Nam era guns

After this you could still import a semi auto model with full miltary styling till 1989 when after a mass shooting with aTyp56s rifle they banned a lot from import ...Then you have a weird year where they are bringing in completed guns as parts and "making them here " this in some ways lead to 922r which stated for a non sporting rifle it needed USA made parts ..

However until 1997 or so you could bring in a rifle with a normal mag well ie miltary mags not some weird 10 round only thing ..But in 97 but EO they added that to the no list ..MAK90,SARs ,some of the latter MAADI and Feg come from this time ...All still good rifles

After that you needed to bring them in with 10 round only mags and open them up here ... That is where we are at now with the added fun of

a. A trade pact with the Russians banned most firearms from import ( like the SVD etc ) save ones on the ok list like the Veper and the like
b. that ended though with both the veper and saiga now banned
c. You cant import org miltary barrels any more if it was on a full auto gun no go ..It is not easy anymore to get a org barrels ..So org barrel guns and parts kits esp from Com blocks like Russia or Bulgy will go for more
d. All china guns save shotguns are banned from import

So right now to have a AK in the usa ..It needs to be either
a. imported as a 10 round only sporting guns ie thumbhole or hunting stock etc then opened up here with 922r parts
b. Built from parts kits with 922r parts ..Wont be cheep with a org barrel etc

So in a nut shell where we are at ..Frankly imop I will second all points here get a Aresnal to dip your feet and know the guns then go from there ..I mostly collect pre bans and like them but they are a pricy way to get in ..A stamped China is around 1k for pre ban or more if rarer stock to 600-900 for a post ban ..Milled are more

Thanks for reading ..Happy 4#

LKY_13
July 10, 2017, 17:18
Robinson Arms Russian VEPR II - not too fond of the stock furniture but, it's fine. Otherwise excellent.
Anything by Jim Fuller aka Rifle Dynamics.
Arsenal is usually a pretty decent bet. Their coatings are just okay for the price.
WASR-10 2015 production and up can be a profound bargain.

KentuckyWelder
July 11, 2017, 00:39
Robinson Arms Russian VEPR II - not too fond of the stock furniture but, it's fine. Otherwise excellent.
Anything by Jim Fuller aka Rifle Dynamics.
Arsenal is usually a pretty decent bet. Their coatings are just okay for the price.
WASR-10 2015 production and up can be a profound bargain.

Once again, thanks guys!!! I haven't "Pulled the trigger" on one yet but I'm certain it will be the next in my collection.

I have a wide range of Battle Rifles "7.62 NATO/.308" and those have been my primary focus along with 1911's, revolvers and some odds and ins with trying different platforms such as the Sig p226/p229 etc.

I had and have built Ar platforms but had never given the Ak platforms a chance yet. Over the recent months I have been interested in some intermediate rifle classes but all I have are 7.62 NATO rifles and no carbines/intermediate rifles to take the classes with as I have traded out or sold my Ar's. Ultimately I feel I would be happier with the .30 caliber option and the proven reliability of the Ak platforms. So I am thrilled that you all have posted back such helpful responses, like I mentioned in earlier post, I have done research but nothing beats some tried and true real world tested info.

Thanks again.

Incognito
July 11, 2017, 11:53
For those of you who own the Arsenals, what is your experience with the finish? Is the finish going to "bubble up" on the barrel? Is it only the barrel, gas block, and other areas of high heat that have this problem?

I have a friend asking me for a recommendation for an AK47 and I just want to know what to tell him about this issue. He is not a "gun guy" so I think for him having the finish to start bubbling up would be more of a heartache for him than it would be for me.

LKY_13
July 13, 2017, 15:21
He is not a "gun guy" so I think for him having the finish to start bubbling up would be more of a heartache for him than it would be for me.

If he's not a "gun guy" I would imagine it seeing very little use. Thus, the coatings not ever giving him an issue. 'Sides, we're not talking catastrophic failure here, or anything. I just think for a circa 1k+/- fighting rifle the coatings could be better than they are (like that of the R.A. Vepr II for instance). Also, this is just my experience/opinion. YMMV. Gunplumber did't even mention coatings (although, I seem to remember him custom coating his own collection of AK 104s in matching desert camo, IIRC).

gunplumber
July 13, 2017, 15:52
If he's not a "gun guy" I would imagine it seeing very little use. Thus, the coatings not ever giving him an issue. 'Sides, we're not talking catastrophic failure here, or anything. I just think for a circa 1k+/- fighting rifle the coatings could be better than they are (like that of the R.A. Vepr II for instance). Also, this is just my experience/opinion. YMMV. Gunplumber did't even mention coatings (although, I seem to remember him custom coating his own collection of AK 104s in matching desert camo, IIRC).

Arsenal finish is the original euro lacquer type - it sucks. Will wash off with alcohol. And their customer service sucks. And there are occasional issues with canted sights. And their two stage trigger breaks at 12 pounds!

But even with all that, I still think it is the best value in a fighting rifle. You get the most modern features (100 series) for around $1100. Add an Ultimak rail, a longer two point sling (2" Blue Force wire in the front sling mount), and a trigger job and shepherds plate. Good to go. Rattle-can camo if you are OPERATOR enough.

I think the 5.45 is vastly superior to the 7.62, and bought lots of it before the import ban on 7n6. No problem with 7.62 for those who prefer a bullet with the ballistics of a football.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/wp/ak/ak-family-01.jpg

gunplumber
July 13, 2017, 16:01
My 7.62 family of 107s, before I decided to stick with 5.45. I'm still a plum slut, but camo is more effective.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/wp/ak/ak-arsbuild-bulgy-47-family-plum.jpg

VALMET
July 13, 2017, 16:14
+1 for Arsenal. As good or better than some of the pre-ban stuff out there and for a lot less coin (esp these days).