PDA

View Full Version : Some sugestions please

AFeod
July 02, 2017, 09:50
So, I'm in a bit of a predicament. I've got a nice Belgium made magnum a5. A fellow board member is interested in buying it. I love this shotgun, but only take it out a couple times a year for turkey hunting. I'd really like to trade it or take the cash and purchase a 3.5" magnum just to reach out a bit further. I told a buddy that I was thinking of letting her go and he has offered up a pristine armas GIBS 10g sxs model 3200. From the research I've done you shouldn't shoot steel through the armas. My dilemma is that I need a trustworthy turkey gun, not something that I can take to the range and shoot light loads just for the heck of it. Also I bought my browning so long ago I'm not sure how much to let here go for(I was leaning toward 7ish shipped). I've seen prices all over the map. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

fnogger
July 03, 2017, 09:01
If you have a gunbroker account, search completed auctions and sort by number of bids - that should give a decent approximation on true value.

For a replacement, I'd look at one of the long chambered 12gauges, since it could be more useful than a 10g.

AFeod
July 03, 2017, 11:13
I looked at gunbroker. No account. I wondered why I couldn't find ended auctions. Agreed, that a 3.5" magnum 12 might suit my needs better. I looked at the proofs on the 10g and it's not proofed for steel.

bulletslap
July 03, 2017, 21:39
I have shot steel through my old Zabala SxS 10 gauge for years, with no signs of damage, shot cups have come a long way since steel shot was introduced. Also consider shooting nice shot where lead is forbidden.

I have never warmed up to the 3 1/2 12.

saddler68
July 04, 2017, 13:18
If you let the A5 go you WILL regret it, then spend time trying to replace it.

Go on the sales sites/threads to see what you can pick up for a low $$$ outlay, or check out some yard sales & the like.

Not knocking the 10-bore idea. Had a nice H&R 176 for a while & have finally tracked down a long searched for Ithaca Mag 10 to take its place in the safe.
Some folk are more swayed by the 3 1/2" steel loads, esp through guns that allow removable (dedicated steel) chokes

My view on the A5's is that if I see one I buy it & I've not seen any US made ones here, only Belgians!

Invictus77
July 04, 2017, 13:26
So, I'm in a bit of a predicament. I've got a nice Belgium made magnum a5. A fellow board member is interested in buying it. I love this shotgun.

If you let the A5 go you WILL regret it, then spend time trying to replace it.

AFeod, please note that saddler68 is a very wise man ;)

AFeod
July 04, 2017, 16:53
Thanks for all the replies. After a good amount of thought I will keep the a5 and just save up for a beater 3.5" turkey gun. I most likely would regret the sale. Thanks for showing me the light.

ps: sorry mike

Nihonto Chicken
July 05, 2017, 15:32
You shouldn't regret keeping the A5. Now you can look forward to converting it into a bonafide Fraudesian FN Police Model similar to the original below:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/nihontochicken/IMG_0288_zpsa5119079.jpg

If interested, refer to thread linked below:
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416377

:smile:

sirspyair
July 12, 2017, 00:26
Nice thread. Now I got some ideas which one to take for a turkey hunt.

fnogger
July 13, 2017, 11:07
Check your game laws - are rifles allowed for turkey? Here in Florida they are during the Fall season, I'd go for a really accurate 22, a scope with adjustable objective OR a fixed objective suitable for rimfire distances, and do head shots.

Then again, I use golf balls for plinking targets at 50-125 yards....