PDA

View Full Version : New open registration of class III bringbacks

GARMASTERS
July 01, 2017, 22:26
Members of the House and Senate introduced bill S.1435 to give people the opportunity to register machine guns and assault rifles grandpa brought back from either WWII or Korea.

Known as the Veterans Heritage Firearms Act, the bill would create a 180-day grace period for veterans and their family members to register firearms seized overseas before Oct. 31, 1968 without fear of prosecution.

http://www.guns.com/2017/06/28/bill-would-save-grandpas-unregistered-trophy-machine-gun/

:fal:

Falfan2017
July 02, 2017, 00:16
Seems like Vietnam should be included. Guess they were concerned about the number of aks that might get registered

Blackmore
July 02, 2017, 05:58
Seems like Vietnam should be included. Guess they were concerned about the number of aks that might get registered

Yeah, they wouldn't know what to do with all that extra tax stamp money :rolleyes:

Thorack
July 02, 2017, 08:28
Well,

The devil will be in the details. Met several service members with long deceased vet grandfathers that have old WW II weapons that have zero paper on them. How the they gonna handle those?

Thorack

GARMASTERS
July 02, 2017, 17:36
Yeah, they wouldn't know what to do with all that extra tax stamp money :rolleyes:

I know it wasn't supposed to happen, but you can bet there are bringbacks from Iraq and Afghanistan too. Why draw the line at Korea?

ALL FAL
July 02, 2017, 17:50
Gov. wants to know where and how many.

partisan50
July 02, 2017, 19:16
Well,

The devil will be in the details. Met several service members with long deceased vet grandfathers that have old WW II weapons that have zero paper on them. How the they gonna handle those?

Thorack

It will probably be handled like an amnesty and as long as the veteran was serving in the various theaters of war they will probably allow the registration.

Yes, this should included Vietnam vets.

GOVT1911
July 03, 2017, 09:39
I know it wasn't supposed to happen, but you can bet there are bringbacks from Iraq and Afghanistan too. Why draw the line at Korea?

I got called by a friend of mine that helped out with a small military museum in IN, seems someone left a fully operational DSHKA on the sidewalk in front of the museum one late night. He asked me if there was any way to tell "what unit captured it". LOL I asked him if any of the local Guard or Reserve units has come home recently, he said "yeah,about a year ago". I told him I'm betting they were cleaning out a connex and "found" it, and then some E4 was told "make it go away". LOL

Thorack
July 03, 2017, 09:56
Yeah,

When my Brigade went back to Germany from OIF II stuff was showing up left and right. You couldn't shoot it in Germany so it was either turn it in to the unit and they put it on display, or have it destroyed by maintenance battalion welders.

The Infantry battalions HQ had entire offices covered floor to ceiling with captured weapons. Dont know if any of them made it back to the States after they moved 1ID back stateside.

Thorack

kev
July 03, 2017, 10:02

NFA items could be legally imported until 1968. The 1968 amnesty(which was supposed to last 90 days and was cut off after only 30 days)was designed to 'clear the record' and get all the unpapered guns on the books. Lots of people missed that shortened window and I suspect that's why they're now restricting it to guns that were in country by 1968. No way to have legally brought anything in as transferable after that.

Doesn't matter,.....we'll be exceedingly lucky if anything comes from this. It's been attempted before and has gone nowhere. The number of 'undocumented' pre-68 guns is staggering.

Riversidesports
July 04, 2017, 15:29

Bunch of crap leaked in from Iraq. There was an Air Force officer I ran into occasionally that had a mess of flat new Iraqi 9mm Beretta clones he was swapping off at shows, there have been a number of arrests of folks busted with Iraqi sourced AKMs as well.

Early on in the sandbox it was apparently rather easy to get hardware in particularly if you were an Officer. One Ranger Vet I know talks about the amount of just wild crap that was taken out of Saddam and Sons Palaces, the whole family were serious gun collectors.
Have some pix he sent me somewhere, Gold plated Stirling SMgs with Ivory grips. There was also a Gold plated MP5 done up with Ivory and jewels.
That crap just vanished in the Black Hole known as the Pentagon
Same with a large number of exotic super cars.

Plenty of super high grade custom rifles and shotguns
not a bit of it was torched
most ended up as gifts to Generals and Washington elites
I mean do you think the pistol presented to GW that was taken off Saddam was lawfully imported ?
not likely.

Also bear in mind there was a mess of guns that came out of Grenada and Panama, literally one shipping container of AKs and such that was shipped to Bragg and later became part of a massive investigation and arrests.
I had a Czech SHe rifle that was a Grenada capture. That one came from a retired AF Col. who had received it from an Army Officer.

Riversidesports
July 04, 2017, 16:01
NFA items could be legally imported until 1968. The 1968 amnesty(which was supposed to last 90 days and was cut off after only 30 days)was designed to 'clear the record' and get all the unpapered guns on the books. Lots of people missed that shortened window and I suspect that's why they're now restricting it to guns that were in country by 1968. No way to have legally brought anything in as transferable after that.

Doesn't matter,.....we'll be exceedingly lucky if anything comes from this. It's been attempted before and has gone nowhere. The number of 'undocumented' pre-68 guns is staggering.

Exactly true.
People are generally unaware how many Maxims the War Department sold cash and carry to the general public in the 1920s, still likely a few thousand in Barns, basements and chicken coops Coast to Coast.

AKs were once rather common as undocumented guns. Some came in from Korea, more from Viet Nam.

In the 70s it wasn't that unusual to be walking through a rural gun show and run across a dewatted MP40, Grease Guns, etc.
Many guys didn't even know the law changed on Dewats in 68'
same with 20mm ATRs, etc.

Most of this is still out there, some has ended up donated to museums or dropped off with the County Sheriff. Generally they don't form 10, they just toss it in the corner or put it on display.

In over 40 years of business I have seen just insane amounts unpapered NFA. Stevens Auto Shot .410 pistols crop up as do H&R Handy Guns. Owners don't even realize Grand Dads tractor gun is NFA.

ATF knows this, a fair number think it's dumb as a rock to not run a new amnesty across the board particularly on original vintage weapons.
As I understand the situation while to Change the "Law" requires Congress ATFE is authorized to establish a new "amnesty", at least they were up until Hughes 86'
They possibly could run a limited amnesty on foreign weapons manufactured prior to 1968 and domestic MGs prior to 86' though.

kev
July 06, 2017, 10:04
Unpapered dewats would be an enormous boon. Dewats were once sold through the mail for $20 apiece and IF they were papered during the amnesty like they were supposed to be they can even now be reactivated and made live, transferable, C&R MGs. I doubt if one in a hundred got registered. People who bought them as decorators or display guns weren't generally clued in at the time. There are thousands tucked away that missed the amnesty,.......waiting for another chance.

One common restriction on any amnesty is that the item had to have been legally held prior to some point in time. Many(most?)bringbacks were never held 'legally'. Certainly smuggled weapons weren't nor were illegally built weapons, but all the unregistered dewats were purchased legally and then became subject to registration. There never should have been a 'limited' amnesty for those,.....they should remain registerable whenever they turn up.

AliYahu
July 06, 2017, 11:04
This isn't the first time this sort of legislation has been proposed, and prior incarnations included any military vet and their heirs.
Sad thing is my late grandfather had a mint MP-40 for many years, he didn't trust the government to register it in '68 - LOTS of people thought it was a confiscation scam - but it was gone before he died.

Eli

ALL FAL
July 06, 2017, 22:32
This isn't the first time this sort of legislation has been proposed, and prior incarnations included any military vet and their heirs.
Sad thing is my late grandfather had a mint MP-40 for many years, he didn't trust the government to register it in '68 - LOTS of people thought it was a confiscation scam - but it was gone before he died.

Eli

Can Not blame folks for being shy of the GOV. Their Gun grabbing record and dirty deed records are Long and Unforgiving.

Riddbits
July 12, 2017, 10:40
Well,

Thorack
This isn't the first time that this has been introduced, but hopefully, this time it will go through. As for deceased members of the family, there was a provision that if you could prove that grandpa served over seas before 1968, you could register it on their behalf in your name. That part kind of gives me the creeps because by registering it in their absence, you are admitting to having an otherwise illegal firearm. Will be anxious to see how this all works out.