PDA

View Full Version : Help from cental florida fal people..

Pyropuppy
June 15, 2002, 13:59
well heres the deal. I want a fal. I know your saying who dosen't.
The question is do I take the plunge and build up a kit or do I search out a local ffl and purchace one all ready to go?
www.tapco.com has there fal kits for 129.99
they also have there U.S. complience fal kits for 169.99
that come with 6 U.S. made parts .
then I need a recever and some tools.
I've been looking around tampa and found a few century L1A's
from $550 to $738.
I realy did not want a century gun been burned befor.
If I could find some help with barrling and head spacing I think I might go the kit route. Any one in tne tampa area willing to help out?
Any one in orlando seen any good deals on fals at your local dealers?

Vulcan
June 15, 2002, 16:06
Look into an M444 (Imbel) from Dans if you want a reasonably priced built gun. He also sells Imbel kits at a very nice price for the quality. You will need to find a reciever to go with the kit. Look in the sponsors section. Also, members occasionally have kits or built guns in the marketplace section.

HTH

jwaters
June 15, 2002, 17:09
I'm in tampa (well nearby anyway). I have wrenches and tools but no vise, I use a 1 1/16 wrench and the floor.

Have you tried University Gun and Pawn on Fletcher? They have an L1A1 century gun (or did) for $459 or 479 on an IMBEL receiver. I got my IMBEL receiver from Harlan at FAC and it was $240 or so by the time I paid shipping tax, transfer, etc. To be honest, that's where I would start. You get and IMBEL receiver, and a lot of parts to start.

Dan's is a good first build, the barrels are nicer than the G-1's. Although, I like G-1's better (personal pref).

Be glad to come over and lend a hand one evening during the week when I have time.

For an FFL, I use William Nolte in Oldsmar, not the cheapest but very honest. He is listed on Gunbroker.

I got my first FAL from Florida Ammo Traders (F.A.T.) and he built it from an STG-58 kit. It was ok (though I hated the century stock/pg/hanguards he used).

Email me if you have questions

55bird
June 15, 2002, 17:11
I recommend that you get a local FFl to get you an imbel or dsa receiver ,parts kit of your choice and send it to one of the top builders on this board.To me it's a lot of money and I don't want to pay to teach or learn someone local how to do it and I don't have the patience for problems.I want it to go bang!And it will if the Gunplumber,AZEX arms or some of the others build it.Thats my plan and it works!

MacAleese
June 15, 2002, 17:43
FAT could probably help you with head space and barrling!

Pyropuppy
June 15, 2002, 21:42
I'm going to talk to the people at FAT next week about a recever
and the transfer fee or possibly a complete unit. who knows maybe he has one in stock.
I've bought stuff from them befor at the tampa gun show and they seem like nice people.
Was just watcghing the history channel and saw a program about the falklands war in 1982.
They showed pics of piles of fals captured by the brits as tall as a man.
Thanks jwaters for the offer I may call on you if I go the kit route.
Thanks for all the replys.

Pyropuppy
June 15, 2002, 21:52
I did go by university gun and pawn a week or so ago
they had a couple of guns built on hesse recievers for $550
the reciver finish was cheep looking and did not match the rest of the gun. any way I passed on that for now.
anyway the search continues.

jwaters
June 17, 2002, 20:34
To be honest, FAT gave a good price on the FAL I got, and he can park it too. It was just as cheap as getting a kit, receiver,etc., it is on an Entreprise Type 3 though.

Pyropuppy
June 18, 2002, 16:32
Ok went by FAT today and talked to phill.
He is going to hook me up .
I'm going to get a whole unit for my first one.
then try a kit next time.
I'v got to through in a plug for phill he is a super nice guy.
he'll have all my bussiness from now on.

Florida ammo Traders
6001 johns rd. suite 638
Tampa, Fl 33634

shop # 813-806-1958

after talking to phill for a wile he told me about a machine gun shoot on the 4th of july.
can't wait to tray out his full auto stg58

now I just need a little more cash to add to my mad money.

anybody in tampa need any computer or networking services
will work for FAL's

:D

www.floridaammotraders.com

Pyropuppy
June 20, 2002, 21:38
ordered my L1A1 sporter today
total cost 415.99 thats out the door.
can't wait to shoot my first FAL.

Pyropuppy
June 20, 2002, 21:40
Next I'll need some central florida FAL shooters to go shooting with.
:cool:

Pyropuppy
June 22, 2002, 08:03
Jwaters
How dose this work?

"I'm in tampa (well nearby anyway). I have wrenches and tools but no vise, I use a 1 1/16 wrench and the floor.":confused:

jwaters
June 22, 2002, 20:15
I guess that's a century built FAL for $415.99? Still a darn good price.

Phil is a great guy, I agree. He did a great park job on my FAL.

As for the barrel installation, you are basically using wrench against wrench and using the floor as a worktable. Not great but it worked. I doubt Phil would think much of it.

Personally I didn't have any problem with it. I did make up a set of wooden vise blocks for my vise but I could not keep them from slipping. Need to get some more rosin I suppose. Plus I had one that was real tight.

Ever been to the range in Dade City?

Pyropuppy
June 23, 2002, 00:34
No I have not been to the range in Dade City.
Been going to the Tenoroc range in lake land lately.
$8.00 for all day and so far no range Nazis.
Hoping my CIA L1A1 Gets Here Tuesday
Looking forward to shooting it!!

Are you going to the machine gun shoot on the 4th of july?
It's at the Hernando sportsmans range.

You can give Phill a call for more info he is going and taking some of his toys.
can't wait to try out his full auto FAL.:D

jwaters
June 23, 2002, 18:51
I prefer Tenoroc also, but it is a longer drive for me. I did get told to stop rapid firing with my ar15 once. All my hits were in the bull too (50yds).

Can't make the 4th, have other plans, although I do hear it's fun.

tunashark
June 23, 2002, 21:04
FAT Phil is a good man to deal with. Did you know that Mark Serbu of Serbu BFG-50 fame (www.serbu.com) is in the same business center? Dade City is all right but somewhat boring. Another Century FAL source (and he had Century receivers in stock) is Mark Kubes in Largo (www.surplusfirearms.com). He also has some Tapco FAL accessories in stock. Just tell him Brian from Greenland sent you. Florida Firearms on N. Florida Ave. in Tampa sometimes has FAL's also. Not many professional builders locally so you have build your own, though.

Pyropuppy
June 24, 2002, 06:04
Phill had a BFG-50 in his place last time I was in and he told me all about it. very high on the cool factor scale.
I've goten a few tings from Mark Kubes in the past . I lived in St. Petersburg for a few years befor I got a house in Tampa.
he was always good to deal with and has a lot off stuff you can't see in other stores.

I think I'm going to go through Phill to get my stuff requiring a FFL for my fist build . he is to easy to deal with and closer to ware I live than mark Kube

now should I buld a G1 or L1A1 kit?
I'm thinking G1
Less cost and more parts avalibility.
both good factors for my budget and being a first time builder If I screw somthing up I can get more parts.