PDA

View Full Version : century inch on british parts

gearlogo
June 15, 2002, 13:45
Just started working on two for a british and ausi build through test fitting one of the recievers fits the ausi lower fine. The one for the british kit does not quite fit. With the hinge pin in it will not close. If I then remove the pin it will close but the pin will not go in.
I can see about a 32nd of the lower through the pin hole with the uper and lower locked together.

My first instinct was to demel out the latch, but looking at it this would have made a loose fit as a suspect the problem is not in the latch. I tried two lowers and they both fit the same. Has anyone had the same problem?
I'm thinking that the area where the uper and lower meet may need a little WECSOG but I'm a scared to do it.

PS. Three metric imbels no problems. Ahh I just had to have inch guns didn't I

gearlogo
June 15, 2002, 13:46
opps, upper

MM in NM
June 15, 2002, 14:26
Don't mess with the upper OR the lower. Take the latch out, think about it and file where needed.

gearlogo
June 17, 2002, 17:13
took the latch out. still will not close all the was. started to take a dremel to the top of the lower. This seems to be doing the job but it's slow ging I don't want to screw it up. Hase anyone else had the same problem?

larphred
June 17, 2002, 17:58
Stop. Before doing any mods to either receiver, screw the barrel on to where it is approx. timed. You can easily do this by hand by leaving out the breeching washer. Next screw in the gas tube and gas tube nut. Holding the barrel in it's "pseudo" timed position, drop your gas piston in and see if it binds.
I built two Aussie kits and didn't have a problem with this casting problem, but the second two receivers I got, the threads cut into the receiver for the gas tube nut were off (not parallel to the threads for the barrel) causing a binding of the gas piston. Others have solved this problem through the diligent use of files. I chose to send them back to Century and I just got 2 new ones back today. Haven't had a chance to check them for alignment yet, though.
Now for the Aussie kits. They went together better, but as I have mentioned on an earlier thread, when a round is stripped off the right side of the magazine, it hits the breech face before it can be chambered. On one of the kits, I polished the hell out of the feed-ramp and it helped a bit, but I am still looking for a better solution.

gearlogo
June 17, 2002, 20:49
thanks i'll do it now. The piston hole looked centered but I should check for sure. These things are OK for 129.00 but just barely. Who made these things for century. They have the Hesse smell about them.