PDA

View Full Version : psa has an ar 10 for $699

Cava3r4
June 26, 2017, 18:24
is it worth a hoot?

ALL FAL
June 26, 2017, 20:44
I'll go look. Thanks for the heads up.

They Also have a PA10 for $599 without Float hand guard, Or Stainless Barrel, Either rifle looks to be a Value to me.

4x401
June 26, 2017, 20:59
Stay the fug AWAY from anything with a S.S. barrel coming out of PALMETTO
S.A....PERSONANLY seen with my own eyes MAJOR chamber cutting problems....you been warned...:whiskey::whiskey:

Stick with Chrome Moly Nitride, and or Chrome hammer forged (CHF) goodness for complete satisfaction...or don't listen to me 'cause I'm a drunken fool....

rowjimmy
June 26, 2017, 22:02
..or don't listen to me 'cause I'm a drunken fool....

I've seen you all been right from time to time, as a broken clock is right twice a day. :rofl:

I've heard it tell PSA .308 stuff isn't good QC, but that might be internet hearsay.

Merl
June 27, 2017, 07:42
At 50c a pop minimum for 308 a tier above the bottom might be a good choice.

hueyville
June 27, 2017, 08:38
Palmetto stainless barrels quality are directly proportionate to cost. Would never buy one of their bargain stainless barrels but on occasion they will put one of their upper tier stainless barrels on sale. They have a Freedom stainless barrel that retails at $119 in 16" and 18" according to inventory at time. They have a cold hammer forged stainless barrel that retails for $272 and seldom gets reduced. Since 2015 have seen the 18" 1:7 CHF made in USA reduced too sub $99 price range three times. Purchased two first time, built them and both shoot sub MOA. Second time saw under a c-note purchased a couple more, built one and it shoots sub MOA. Actually all three rifles shoot 5/8" to 3/4" five shot groups at 100 yards with 69 grain SMK's. Last time went on sale they were $89 again so tried to put five in cart, had to keep reducing number to three units, closed out my cart and then site showed out of stock. My rules on PSA barrels are high everyday price, cold hammer forged and made in USA.

See any of these over $200 retail barrels go on sale under $100 jump on a few. Freedom or PTAC stainless and never purchased one as read too many horror stories. Most say we're able to exchange one or twice and eventually get a barrel that met minimum standards but I want to build it, shoot it with good accuracy/reliabilty and move onto next project. Now have four of the $272 retail 18" barrels built and plan to build the other three before end of year. Make nice rifles for eventually gifting to family, neckbearding when market goes back up or taking out to use and keeping round count low on my Noveske/WOA/Lothar/etc barrels. If choice of barrel is $100 difference in cost of rifle that's my sign of a potentially crappy barrel.

hellfish
June 27, 2017, 12:26
A friend of mine wants to get into the AR10 platform. 18" Barrel. The MP10 is a bit too pricey for him. We've been doing some research regarding the PA10, so far we haven't been able to find any positive reviews, even though the price $599, seems to be great, he doesn't want to deal with any potential problems. Most of the bad reviews talk about how unreliable the rifle is, there are several youboob videos also knocking the PA10 rifle.

I would like somebody here who actually owns the rifle to give their opinion.

From the thread I know to stay away from the SS barrel models, any opinions about this one:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-pa10-18-mid-length-308-win-nitride-classic-rifle-516446285.html

Falfan2017
June 27, 2017, 12:28
A friend of mine wants to get into the AR10 platform. 18" Barrel. The MP10 is a bit too pricey for him. We've been doing some research regarding the PA10, so far we haven't been able to find any positive reviews, even though the price $599, seems to be great, he doesn't want to deal with any potential problems. Most of the bad reviews talk about how unreliable the rifle is, there are several youboob videos also knocking the PA10 rifle.

I would like somebody here who actually owns the rifle to give their opinion.

From the thread I know to stay away from the SS barrel models, any opinions about this one:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-pa10-18-mid-length-308-win-nitride-classic-rifle-516446285.html

Armalite defender 10 has a solid reputation and occasionally goes on sale for around 800$. Id probably go with that over the palmetto.

ALL FAL
June 27, 2017, 14:52
The way my Old eyes are I don't need a 3 gun AR10 or any such animal, would like to see what the $599 unit would do as far as accuracy, just curious.

RJCapt
June 27, 2017, 15:23
My curiosity got the best of me last week when they had the shield in 9mm for under $200 with free shipping and I hate to do a single transfer locally. At least that was my excuse for getting one of their $699 guns (I like free float h/gs on my ars). Haven't gotten it yet (psa seems to run a little slow at times), but it shows shipped. When I get it, I'd be happy to post a review.

Pete

ALL FAL
June 27, 2017, 20:52
So tempted on the 599 Non Stainless mid gas unit, at that price what can ya really lose? Not Much I say.

hueyville
June 28, 2017, 06:11
So tempted on the 599 Non Stainless mid gas unit, at that price what can ya really lose? Not Much I say.

More than $599 in receivers, furniture, bolt carrier group, etc even if requires a barrel swap and tweaking. If someone is totally comfortable with trouble shooting or doing returns till factory fixes it then would be a good gamble. Worst case is replace the barrel, tune gas/buffer and you didn't have to collect a bunch of parts and do rest of the build. If didn't have a pair of receivers and other parts in inventory already would consider buying a pair for my upcoming 7mm-08 projects. Since will be using a pair of Kreiger barrels just have to flip barrels, gas block and furniture. Then the furniture and front sight tower could be repurposed into milspec bargain builds.

hellfish
June 30, 2017, 17:19
My curiosity got the best of me last week when they had the shield in 9mm for under $200 with free shipping and I hate to do a single transfer locally. At least that was my excuse for getting one of their $699 guns (I like free float h/gs on my ars). Haven't gotten it yet (psa seems to run a little slow at times), but it shows shipped. When I get it, I'd be happy to post a review.

Pete

Can you also let us know how much the gun weighs? The PSA website does not specify.

ALL FAL
June 30, 2017, 18:14
The whole way along the AR10 has been a truck gun in my mind. That deal is gone but there will be another.

Some day they may standardize parts or make different lengths of receivers for almost any caliber, do they have a .338 Lapua Mag AR10 yet?

7MM-08 would be a good fit in any case.

hueyville
July 01, 2017, 10:28
With my broken C2 and C3 vertebrae in neck along with T6 in thoracic recoil, especially into a long day at the range cumulative recoil gets on me. Can look at 7mm-08 from every angle and it's simple to form brass from 308 so no cost increase, due to similar energy and trajectory on target at any given range but an industry accepted generalized 30% reduction in recoil at the end of a 100 to 200 round shooting session the cumulative effect on body as day wears on is noticable. Why really jumped on 6.8 AR 15's as best lightweight, low recoil alternative to a full battle rifle. Highly considering a carbon fiber wrapped match 7mm-08 in 18" length with good muzzle brake (others at range will just have to hate me) and have a lightweight, low recoil battle rifle to use through 60's and 70's.

RJCapt
July 01, 2017, 18:47
So I picked my rifle up yesterday and shot it today. Here's my take on it

Overall it's nice, fit and finish is very good with no issues. It's an AR. Not much to screw up I guess.

I ran about 100 rounds through it, a mix of surplus, factory and handloads. No failures at all. It definitely preferred 168 gn to 150 gn and didn't like my South African surplus (R1M1 from the 140 rd battle packs). That definitely gave me my worst groups maybe 2 1/2 to 3 moa.

I put a Vortex strike eagle 1x6 on a pepr mount on it, but I think I'll put a 4x14 on it next. Maybe tighten things up a bit.

At 100 yds I got these results:

All from a bench on a lead sled.

SA surplus 2 1/2 - 3 moa
Australian surplus 2 plus moa
Tula steel cased (yeah, I know whatever) 1 1/2 moa
Federal Match 168 gn .75 moa 5 shot group one flyer 4 rounds made one ragged hole. That was best out of 4 5 shot groups. The other 3 were 1 to 1 1/2 moa.
I didn't put my handloads on paper, but I was ringing my 12" plate offhand with no problem.

With the optic it weighs in at 9,5 lbs (just the rifle, no magazine) and a regular ar I have set up almost identically but with a 1x4 weighed 8 lbs.

Overall I'm happy with it. If I can't bring the group sizes down with milsurp after it's broken in, I'll probably put a better barrel on it. I think it was worth the $700.

Oh, one complaint. The trigger is terrible. Maybe I'm just spoiled, but it seems really heavy and a little gritty with a looong take up. Breaks clean though. I'll probably polish it up to see if that helps.

Pete

ALL FAL
July 02, 2017, 03:54
And about what I expected.

hueyville
July 02, 2017, 07:01
So I picked my rifle up yesterday and shot it today. Here's my take on it
(Trim)
Oh, one complaint. The trigger is terrible. Maybe I'm just spoiled, but it seems really heavy and a little gritty with a looong take up. Breaks clean though. I'll probably polish it up to see if that helps.

Pete

If you want I will mail you a trigger with matched spring kit, mail me back your OEM trigger and 10 bucks. If not 100% satisfied will mail your trigger and 10 bucks back.

K. Funk
July 02, 2017, 13:00
I got a PA 10 from PSA. I bought a lower and then a few weeks later a complete upper. I got about 10 rounds out of before it became jammomatic. Every round jammed up the works. I sent the whole rifle back to PSA and got it back in about 2 weeks. It has been flawless since and prints well. The problem apparently was the BCG. No complaints now.

krf

bfoosh006
July 27, 2017, 09:59
I bought one of the Nitrated barreled ones...

I am a tinkerer by nature... so... the PA10 is right up my alley.

Quite a few interesting things, IMHO.

https://forum.308ar.com/topic/15124-pa10-nitrated-18-nb-bcg-gen-2-observations/?page=3